Jericho Point by Meg Gardiner

Jericho Point (2004)

by Meg Gardiner

Everything seems to happen to Evan. Not only is she a victim of identity theft, but she's also seems to be a victim of self sabatoge. For the first time I felt really frustrated with Evan, and with her wavering convictions. I think though, that I was frustrated with the characters more than I was with Gardiner herself. I know that there was bound to be some psychological whiplash for the character's after reliving Jessie's crippling accident in Mission Canyon, but this on top of the wild (and once again terrifying) plot was almost a little much for me.

While this is a riveting book, it is probably my least favorite of the Evan Delaney series thus far.

http://girlsjustreading.blogspot.com/2009/07/jenns-review-jericho-point.html ( )
  jaharnick | Jul 26, 2009 |
After hitting a series high point with “Mission Canyon,” the Evan Delaney series comes back to earth a bit with the third installment in the series.

After two books to introduce Evan and her world to us, Meg Gardiner puts Evan and readers through the wringer in “Jericho Point.” Evan finds out she’s the victim of identity theft and the lead suspect is her fiancee’s younger brother. Things get messy for Evan when the local loan shark starts calling in a loan made her in name and one of the suspects washes up on the beach, the apparent victim of a murder.

“Jericho Point” starts at a furious pace and never lets up, which may be part of the problem facing the book. We start the story on the run and it takes a few chapters to really figure out who everyone is and how they relate to the mystery plot slowly unfolding in the story. There’s a huge amount of plot thrust on readers in the first fifty pages and while I don’t want to sit around and read a plot summary of the first two books, it would be nice to have a moment or two to get warmed up before events start coming fast and furious.

The book proceeds at a good clip with Evan being put through the wringer both physically and emotionally. Eventually, the elements begin to slowly unravel as the pieces begin to fall into place. Readers are treated to some details before Evan, to both add to the suspense and, in some ways, take away from the driving force of the narrative in the last third of the book. And it’s the last third of the book where the problems really come into play. Things suddenly go into hyperdrive with logic and reason thrown out the window. Yes, the mystery fits together in the end, but there are still some things in the final third of the book that come about simply to service the plot and not actually to move things forward in a natural way. I ended up spending the last third of the book rolling my eyes far too many times and wondering how much more we could pile on before things reached a resolution.

Not a good sign.

I wanted to love this novel a lot more than I did. The first two-thirds are good, the last third will leave you scratching your head. ( )
  bigorangemichael | Mar 2, 2009 |
Still that odd mix of first and third person narration. Lovely english and some good characterisation . but it dose not seem to generate the tension of the first two. ( )
  SimonW11 | Sep 10, 2006 |
It's only rock 'n' roll, I hear. What a lie.

When the body of a young woman that washes up on the shores of Jericho Point is identified as Evan Delaney, Evan, who is very much alive, discovers that the victim had been an identity thief who had committed crimes in Evan's name, plunging her into a nightmare.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible