The Mind of J.G. Reeder by Edgar Wallace

The Mind of J.G. Reeder (1925)

by Edgar Wallace

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All (5)
(Originally published as The Mind of J.G. Reeder in 1925). As I said in another Reeder review, J.G. Reeder is my favorite of Wallace's detectives, oldfashioned, seemingly harmless,but deadly when necessary. I also prefer mystery short stories to novels (with occasional exceptions, so this volume of Reeder short stories is naturally one of my favorites among the fraction of Wallace';s books i have read. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 6, 2016 |
While these stories are pleasant entertainments and pretty well written, in the end there just isn't enough mystery. Mr. Reeder is quite clever, but he is no threat to Sherlock Holmes. "The Treasure Hunt" is probably the most interesting story here, showing how Reeder is able to manipulate others to do what he is prevented from doing himself. ( )
  datrappert | Jan 3, 2014 |
The eight short stories in this volume prove beyond doubt that at his best,Edgar Wallace is still a first-class writer of crime thrillers. In inventing the unique character of J.G.Reeder he has produced for us an unheroic hero of the first order. Reeder is a member of the staff of the Public Prosecutor's office. Described as mild-mannered and of an old-fashioned appearance
,he is nevertheless a deadly to criminals as a mamba. The stories abound in period flavor such as the scene in the final story when Reeder and a young lady are trapped in an underground chamber from which there is no escape. This room is being slowly flooded by means of three pipes high in the ceiling. Why,if the villain wishes to dispose of someone,does he not use a simpler method ?. But this is the beauty of the thing,isn't it. Just wonderful ! ( )
1 vote devenish | Dec 27, 2011 |
I got this book a few years ago at our used book sale and never got around to reading it. I picked it this week because it seemed to be a book of eight short stories that would make good bed time reading. That worked for the first 3 stories but then I got so involved that I finished it in one sitting on the fourth afternoon. The last stories seemed to be somewhat related to each other. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to find out if there were any other books featuring this detective and was surprised to find that this book was first published as a novel called The Mind of J.G. Reeder. I also discovered that Edgar Wallace cranked out well over a hundred mysteries, including other ones about J.G. Reeder but they are very hard to find now.

Here is a description of the detective from one of the sites I visited:

“Mr. J G Reeder of the Department of Public Prosecutions, Edgar Wallace's sleuth-whose territory is the London of the 1920s-is an unlikely figure, more bank clerk than detective in appearance, ever wearing his square topped bowler, frock coat, cravat and muffler, Mr. Reeder is usually inseparable from his umbrella. With his thin mournful face many might mistake him for an undertaker, but appearances can be deceiving. It is the mind of Mr. J G Reeder that his greatest asset and that which the criminal fraternity have most to fear. Although-on occasions-he is not averse to substituting his umbrella for a long barreled automatic pistol when the situation demands it!”

I enjoy mysteries from the 20s and 30s so this was a treat for me. I’m trying to be impartial in my rating, but if you are a fan of this genre and period I suggest you try to find this book. Recommended for fans. ( )
1 vote MusicMom41 | Oct 30, 2009 |
Der Tag, an dem Mr. Reeder ddem Büro des Staatsanwalts zugeteilt wurde, war tatsächlich schicksalhaft für Mr. Lambton Green, den Filialleiter der London Scottish Midland Bank.

(LARGE PRINT EDITION) 1925. Edgar Wallace established his reputation as a writer of detective thrillers, a genre in which he wrote more than 170 books, with the publication of The Four Just Men. This book is a collection of eight short stories presenting his most memorable character, the honorable Mr. J. G. Reeder of the Public Prosecutor's Office in London. The reader will enjoy matching wits with the incomparable Mr. Reeder. Contents: The Poetical Policeman; The Treasure Hunt; The Troupe; The Stealer of Marble; Sheer Melodrama; The Green Mamba; The Strange Case; and The Investors. See other titles by this author available from Kessinger Publishing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

I see wrong in everything, ' said Mr Reeder, 'I have the mind of a criminal.' At first glance J G Reeder is an ordinary, slightly shabby little man with red hair, weak eyes, whiskers, square-toed boots and a chest protector cravat. However, working for the Public Prosecutor he finds plenty to stretch his extraordinary mind. Here are eight thrilling, highly original tales from one of the greatest talents ever applied to detective fiction.… (more)

7 wanted1 free

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible