Christian History Made Easy (Rose Bible…

Christian History Made Easy (Rose Bible Basics)

by Timothy Paul Jones

Well written, concise. Sine gaps in order to achieve it's intended purpose of making a rich and complex subject "easy." Sometimes, "easy" is not a good thing. We need to read some "not easy" and enjoy the discipline gained by doing so. ( )
  Charles.Williams | Oct 10, 2016 |
This beautiful full-color book highlights the major personalities in Christian development over the last 2,000 years … from A.D. 64 to 2009.

It’s a short book, so I confess I felt a little frustrated at the lack of depth. The book takes on a little too big a topic for 188 pages of text, and religion is a topic where oversimplifying by bouncing along the surface can distort as much as elucidate. Therefore, to get the full benefit of the book, treat it like an instruction course and take advantage of the internet research suggestions peppered throughout the text. But for my money (for a lot more money, I’m sure) I’d love to have 600 pages between the covers of this one.

One other minor frustration: Jones is a Southern Baptist whose subtle preaching permeates the book. For example, Deism is at least twice referred to as a false doctrine. This is probably just a personal issue, but I find it easier to trust a scholar who does a better job of hiding his own religious bias.

With my complaints out of the way, let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading the text! It’s a fun read, full of tidbits from history and helpful explanations of Christian terms. Every Christian should know at least the basics of Church history, and I definitely recommend this book as an entertaining stepping stone to whet your appetite for further in-depth reading. ( )
  DubiousDisciple | Nov 16, 2013 |
This is a great book for giving you a (very) simple overview of church history. My only complaint would be that it's too brief and skips over a lot of stuff, but I guess I can't complain since that's exactly why I bought it. I like to get the big picture first, which then gives me a good framework for diving into more of the details. Along with giving the main events and their significance, another great feature is that it gives little interesting side notes on particular people or ideas. ( )
  kwmcdonald | Sep 22, 2005 |

Christian History Made Easy summarizes the most important events in Christian history from the time of Jesus to today in 12 easy-to-read chapters. Christian History Made Easy presents key events and people every Christian should know, along with time lines, worksheets, websites, photos, maps and illustrations. The study guide in the back makes this eBook an excellent study for any group, including new believers' classes. It also tackles topics popularized by today's media: the reliability of the Bible, the accurate transmission of the biblical text throughout time, and sensationalized attacks on the Gospels. Theologian J. I. Packer says that Christian History Made Easy is, "...a beautifully simple, beginner-friendly telling of Christian history, a precious heritage." What do you know about Christian history? Here's your chance to test yourself, or to launch a 13-week study on the book Christian History Made Easy, a Christian book that contains a study guide with notes that add to the chapters. Author Timothy Paul Jones, Ph.D., makes Christian history refreshingly fun while at the same time informing believers about the history of the Christian faith. Each chapter contains a summary of: -Key events -Key concepts -Names you should know -Terms you should know -Think about it -Did you know? -Bible maps and time-lines -Things to think about -Clarification on words -At the end of each chapter the book presents a Learning Activity that drives home important topics that have been covered Christian History Made Easy covers key terms, events, and developments including: -Christian history -Church history -Canon of Scripture -Gospels -Dead Sea Scrolls -Easter -Spanish Inquisition -King James Version -Nicene Creed -Reformation -Renaissance The book covers key people in Christian history, such as: -William Tyndale -Augustine -C.S. Lewis -Calvin -Finney -Luther -John Bunyan These key religions and movements are covered, among others: -Catholicism -Christian Science -Gnosticism -Islam (Muslims) -Jehovah's Witness -Pentecostal -Presbyterian -Protestant -Puritan -Roman Catholicism -Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA)Previous black-and-white edition was ISBN 1890947105 or ISBN 13: 9781890947101 (Product code 416X) Dr. Timothy Paul Jones is a brilliant young biblical scholar who helps simplify the complex. His [resources] are great and sorely needed during our time when many are biblically illiterate and know even less about Church history. -Dr. Jerry Newcombe, author, TV host, and spokesperson for Truth that Transforms with Dr. D. James Kennedy (formerly The Coral Ridge Hour)… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,753,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible