Silent Justice by William Bernhardt

Silent Justice

by William Bernhardt

I'm not quite sure how I ended up with this book in my stack from the library. It's ninth in a series I have never read before, and according to what I've recorded, I've never even read the author before. The description on the inside cover doesn't reference the fact it's part of a series, so my best guess is I picked it up randomly and thought it looked like a decent, escapist legal thriller.

I don't have anything against series writing per se. It's just different than what I usually read these days. And anyone that cranks out that many books that quickly needs a good editor. Bernhardt seems to have one, but the mistakes that are missed are kind of big ones. Like a character's wife changing names, from Carrie Sue to Gloria (Archie Turnbull, pages 146 and 176). Or the terms "defense" and "plaintiff" being mixed up (I don't have a citation for this one, because one of my friends picked up my copy of the novel and the bookmark noting the mistake fell out).

As for the actual story -- what anyone reading this review actually cares about -- it was okay. Small-time lawyer with a big heart and loyal staff goes up against evil corporate America.

I don't think I'll be reading books one through eight, though. (Or ten through infinity.) ( )

dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345428137, Mass Market Paperback)

When a powerful corporation is charged with dumping toxic chemicals into a community's drinking water and killing innocent children, Ben Kincaid knows the class action suit is a suicide mission. Facing off against the small Kincaid staff is Tulsa's largest law firm. Challenging Ben in the courtroom is the firm's fabled top gun--not to mention a hot-headed judge with a notorious soft spot for big business. But as Ben prepares for legal battle, a sadistic killer strikes. With each gruesome murder, a terrifying connection is more deeply drawn between Ben's quest for justice and another man's relentless hunt for the spoils of his own private--and very dirty--war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:35 -0400)

When Tulsa lawyer Ben Kincaid takes on a major chemical company and seeks retribution for the poisoning of a community's drinking water, his staff becomes the target of a deadly assassin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,389,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible