Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Living Dead Girl (2008)

by Elizabeth Scott

Room by Emma Donoghue (kaledrina)
    Stolen by Lucy Christopher (weener)
    weener: Living Dead Girl is a lot more graphic and disturbing than Stolen, but both are well-written, compelling tales of the relationship between kidnappers and their victims.
    What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles (weener)
    weener: Both about teenage girls trying to free themselves from extremely difficult situations.
    The Collector by John Fowles (guyalice)
    Scowler by Daniel Kraus (feeling.is.first)
    feeling.is.first: young adult horror, child abuse
    Dead to You by Lisa McMann (meggyweg)
    Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin (meggyweg)
    I Choose to Live by Sabine Dardenne (meggyweg)

English (124)  German (1)  All languages (125)
This book lacks complexity, but speaks about a raw, often hushed topic. ( )
  rllufrio | Apr 28, 2015 |
"Alice" was kidnapped by Ray several years ago while on a class field trip, to replace the first "Alice," whom Ray murdered (along with her parents). She's been abused in every way possible - emotionally, physically, and sexually - and Ray has done all that he can to stunt her growth and keep her as his little girl forever. But no matter how Ray starves "Alice," she IS growing up...and now Ray is wanting a new girl, and he expects "Alice" to help him.

This is probably one of the most disturbing YA books I have read, but I mean...I knew that it was going to be from the blurb on the back. It's well-written and the author goes places that a lot of authors wouldn't, I think, but I just found myself wishing that there was...more. I'm not sure more of what, but more of SOMETHING. I kind of left feeling like I had only read half of a story, if that makes any sense. And the ending was all that I could have wanted - "Alice" finally stands up to Ray in her own way, telling the new girl to RUN. And then "Alice" dies, which is probably one of the better things that had happened to her in the last several years of her life, sad to say. I can't say that I would necessarily recommend this book, however. I mean...that just sounds like all kinds of wrong, recommending a book like this. ( )
  schatzi | Mar 30, 2015 |
Haunting.

This book is really dark but explores some very interesting themes when it comes to being the victim in abduction.

I wouldn't want to read it again, it was very short and so didnt take me very long to finish.

I would reccommend this if you want to be taken out of your comfort zone. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
I think the description of this book was more entertaining than the book itself. Not thought provoking at all, although it was sad. The first few chapters were excellent in the way they set up the story, but there was no character growth after that. I'm thankful it wasn't a long book because it only took me two hours to read. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
To all those that are ignorant of or don't care for their own safety: READ THIS BOOK!

Surprisingly this is a teenage book, and I can see why. Descriptions are well...not descriptive, everything is left to the imagination. Acts are implied but not described in any detail. I expect teens these days will understand this book but I also feel it's a warning to them that paedophiles come in all shapes and sizes, that you'll never know who can be one. You may think that weird old guy across the street is one but really it could be anyone: young, old, fat, thin, gorgeous or ugly. Male or female. And their hook to reel you in could be anything, not just the cliched sweets/candy or puppies.

Perhaps I've watched too much 'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' because what shocked others didn't shock me. Of course, I raised an eyebrow or two here and there (I am still human after all) but what struck me the most was 1) the social commentary, 2) the psychology of the broken spirit, and 3) the psychopathy of the paedophile/kidnapper/murderer.

The author brings attention to society's perception of the victims of abuse and of the way people will ignore the signs (claiming they're minding their own business) while spouting things like "Why didn't you say something? That's all it would've taken for someone to help you." Sort of a mixed message there if only certain people will be willing to take notice and then take action on your behalf. To help and not hinder.

Alice2.0's thoughts and behaviours were shockingly real. That she would abuse/groom others, even young children, if it meant it would lessen her pain was completely understandable. Yes, it's despicable but in that situation can you honestly claim that you'd do any different?

Overall, this is a horrific but thought-provoking tale of tragedy that acts as a warning to those that are unaware of the risks they take with their own safety and a reminder to watch out for others'. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This is how things look: Shady Pines Apartments, four shabby buildings tucked off the road near the highway.

"Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared. Once upon a time, my name was not Alice. Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was. When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends: her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget"--Book flap.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,809,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible