Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Living Dead Girl (2008)

by Elizabeth Scott

Room by Emma Donoghue (kaledrina)
    Stolen by Lucy Christopher (weener)
    weener: Living Dead Girl is a lot more graphic and disturbing than Stolen, but both are well-written, compelling tales of the relationship between kidnappers and their victims.
    What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles (weener)
    weener: Both about teenage girls trying to free themselves from extremely difficult situations.
    The Collector by John Fowles (guyalice)
    Scowler by Daniel Kraus (feeling.is.first)
    feeling.is.first: young adult horror, child abuse
    Dead to You by Lisa McMann (meggyweg)
    Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin (meggyweg)
    I Choose to Live by Sabine Dardenne (meggyweg)

English (130)  German (1)  All languages (131)
This book probably should have been written for adults not teens. It was very well written and you felt for the girl, but it was sick. ( )
  melcbooks | Mar 16, 2016 |
Living Dead Girl ist ein kurzes Buch (knapp 176 Seiten - oft nur zur Hälfte bedruckt, zumindest auf dem Kindle), welches in einem recht einfachen Englisch geschrieben wurde. Das liegt aber auch daran das der Leser hier die Welt von 'Alice' kennenlernt, die grade mal 15 ist und deren Tag nicht aus Schule, Mode und Make-Up besteht, sondern aus dem, was Ray ihr vorschreibt. Ray plant sogar ihre Mahlzeiten und versucht so, 'Alice' am Erwachsenwerden zu hindern. Sie soll sein kleines Mädchen bleiben.

Alice, die uns diese Geschichte erzählt, zeigt schonungslos auf, was in ihr vorgeht, wie sie denkt, was sie fühlt und was Ray ihr antut. Das alles in einer Art, die eben genau einem Mädchen entspricht, dem die Kindheit geklaut wurde. Die Familie geklaut wurde. Ihr Leben geklaut wurde. Alice ist ein 'Living Dead Girl'.

Das Buch ist ein Jugendbuch. Viele Dinge sind umschrieben, dadurch aber nicht weniger grausam. Wer jedoch Bücher wie Jack Ketchum's Evil kennt, dem wird dieses Buch schon fast harmlos erscheinen. Jedoch nur auf den ersten Blick, es regt zum Denken an und auch wenn man eigentlich nicht mehr am Lesen ist, lässt das Buch nicht so schnell los.

Kein Buch für zwischendurch und etwas ganz anderes, als ich normalerweise lese. Deswegen gibt es hier auch keine Pandabären. Solch ein Buch möchte ich einfach nicht bewerten und bestimmen, was hier Gut oder Schlecht ist. Deswegen auch wenig Details und einfach nur ein paar Sätze, die ich gerne los werden wollte.
  Wandapanda | Mar 13, 2016 |
Every free moment was spent reading this book. I read it about a year ago but it has stuck with me because it is just one of those books.

This title is definitely not for the faint of heart or those who do like to read about violence to children. If you can read it, it is incredibly gripping and will remain with you long after the story has ended. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Haunting.

This book is really dark but explores some very interesting themes when it comes to being the victim in abduction.

I wouldn't want to read it again, it was very short and so didnt take me very long to finish.

I would reccommend this if you want to be taken out of your comfort zone. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Re-read July 2013. A dark, interesting concept. "Alice" was kidnapped by Ray when she was ten years old. She's now nearing her fifteenth birthday. Despite Ray trying to keep Alice a child for many years, she's starting to develop - and fifteen is when Ray got rid of the previous Alice. Now it's her turn to pick the next girl for Ray. It's fascinating to get inside Alice's mind and see how she is so ruined by what ended her childhood, how she thinks she is evil just because she's been corrupted by him, how she's willing to ruin someone else's life just for a chance at freedom.

Originally read January 2011. This book is apparently very controversial since it's a young adult book, though it's recommended for ages 16 and up. "Alice" is a fifteen-year-old girl who has been living with her kidnapper for five years. I could tell more of what it's about without giving it away, but I won't. What was most compelling about this book for me was how those five years can make or break someone, how crucial that period is for development. The way it's written really pulls you in, and by the end you're thinking about every man with a little girl you've ever seen, wondering if she was really his daughter, wondering if you should have done something. Amazing book, highly recommended, one I'll definitely re-read. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
This is how things look: Shady Pines Apartments, four shabby buildings tucked off the road near the highway.

"Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared. Once upon a time, my name was not Alice. Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was. When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends: her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget"--Book flap.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,516,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible