Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Living Dead Girl (2008)

by Elizabeth Scott

Room by Emma Donoghue (kaledrina)
    Stolen by Lucy Christopher (weener)
    weener: Living Dead Girl is a lot more graphic and disturbing than Stolen, but both are well-written, compelling tales of the relationship between kidnappers and their victims.
    What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles (weener)
    weener: Both about teenage girls trying to free themselves from extremely difficult situations.
    The Collector by John Fowles (guyalice)
    Scowler by Daniel Kraus (feeling.is.first)
    feeling.is.first: young adult horror, child abuse
    Dead to You by Lisa McMann (meggyweg)
    Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin (meggyweg)
    I Choose to Live by Sabine Dardenne (meggyweg)

English (127)  German (1)  All languages (128)

This book is really dark but explores some very interesting themes when it comes to being the victim in abduction.

I wouldn't want to read it again, it was very short and so didnt take me very long to finish.

I would reccommend this if you want to be taken out of your comfort zone. ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
Re-read July 2013. A dark, interesting concept. "Alice" was kidnapped by Ray when she was ten years old. She's now nearing her fifteenth birthday. Despite Ray trying to keep Alice a child for many years, she's starting to develop - and fifteen is when Ray got rid of the previous Alice. Now it's her turn to pick the next girl for Ray. It's fascinating to get inside Alice's mind and see how she is so ruined by what ended her childhood, how she thinks she is evil just because she's been corrupted by him, how she's willing to ruin someone else's life just for a chance at freedom.

Originally read January 2011. This book is apparently very controversial since it's a young adult book, though it's recommended for ages 16 and up. "Alice" is a fifteen-year-old girl who has been living with her kidnapper for five years. I could tell more of what it's about without giving it away, but I won't. What was most compelling about this book for me was how those five years can make or break someone, how crucial that period is for development. The way it's written really pulls you in, and by the end you're thinking about every man with a little girl you've ever seen, wondering if she was really his daughter, wondering if you should have done something. Amazing book, highly recommended, one I'll definitely re-read. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
This will be very very difficult to review. I'll do my best but i'm not sure if i'll be completely able to...

and i'm just sitting here thinking about how i'm going to review this and no words are coming... this is the story of a girl who's abducted by a pervert and what she went through. It's written in a beautiful prose form but is terrible and heart-wrenching.
I mean... how do you review something that's so real? Something that's happening on a daily basis?
So, this will probably be my shortest review ever just because i think this is a book everyone needs to read on their own time... It's heart breaking and hopeless and very very real. Painful and beautiful at the same time... I don't know what else to say... it's not really something i can say; this is good, or this is bad too because it's something real....
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
I'm actually kind of at a loss for what to say about this book. I expected a lot because of reviews that I had previously read. It was supposed to be gut-wrenching, dark, and demented. It wasn't. Don't get me wrong— what happened to Kyla was horrible, but the writing in this book was mild. Nothing too graphic, nothing that left you wanting to close the book and never look back. In my opinion, for a book with 170 pages Living Dead Girl gives you nothing of value and then leaves you with a cop-out ending.
I’ll probably just end up donating it; I won’t be reading it again. I’ve heard good things about Elizabeth Scott’s other books, but after this I’m not sure if I’m willing to give them a shot. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jul 7, 2015 |
This book lacks complexity, but speaks about a raw, often hushed topic. ( )
1 vote rllufrio | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is how things look: Shady Pines Apartments, four shabby buildings tucked off the road near the highway.

"Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared. Once upon a time, my name was not Alice. Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was. When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends: her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget"--Book flap.… (more)

139 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible