Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Living Dead Girl (2008)

by Elizabeth Scott

Room by Emma Donoghue (kaledrina)
    Stolen by Lucy Christopher (weener)
    weener: Living Dead Girl is a lot more graphic and disturbing than Stolen, but both are well-written, compelling tales of the relationship between kidnappers and their victims.
    What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles (weener)
    weener: Both about teenage girls trying to free themselves from extremely difficult situations.
    The Collector by John Fowles (guyalice)
    Scowler by Daniel Kraus (feeling.is.first)
    feeling.is.first: young adult horror, child abuse
    Dead to You by Lisa McMann (meggyweg)
    Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin (meggyweg)
    I Choose to Live by Sabine Dardenne (meggyweg)

English (134)  German (1)  All (135)
Summary:
Ray abducts Alice when she is 10 years old and she has endured his abuse (physical and mental) as his captive for 5 years. Because Ray likes young girls and Alice is 15 years old, he needs to find a new Alice. The current Alice is recruited to help Ray find a new child to abduct. Alice is more than happy to help because she is tired of being abused. She has lost all hope at life and wants it to be free, even if that means her own death.

Personal Response:
Scott packs a powerful punch in a relatively small book. Her use of language is very poetic and scenes flash from present to past throughout the story. This book can and was hard to get through because of the content of abduction, rape, abuse, murder, etc. I thought Scott did a very accurate job at displaying the main characters feelings of loss of hope and being dead inside. She also brought out the abductor, Ray, to show the nature of how a person can be one way to the outside world and another behind closed doors. As a reader, I hated him, so I would say that was pretty effective. ( )
  HeatherMW | Mar 6, 2017 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/02/03/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-january-2017-wrap-up/

After being kidnapped by Ray, Alice becomes a living dead girl, forced to stay small forever. Alice has resigned herself to her fate and even looks forward to her impending death at Ray’s hands, until he demands she recruit another girl — a younger Alice who will take her place. Disturbing yet beautiful, Scott’s novel comes with all the trigger warnings. ( )
  yrchmonger | Feb 4, 2017 |
Stark. Dark. Brutal. If you like 'Criminal Minds,' this will be right up your alley. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
I picked this book up on an impulse, not knowing what it was about, but the title interested me. It is written very uniquely, told from the view of a young girl who was never allowed to grow up. It's a story about Alice, not her real name, who is abducted when she was on a school field trip. Her abductor changes her name, and doesn't allow her to eat, wanting her to stay "his little girl" forever. Some of the details are very graphic and shocking, but unfortunately very true to what goes on in any long term abduction. She learns to live with her abductor, even doing errands for him outside of the house. But when Ray wants her to find another girl for him to "love", she realizes she may not have much time left. I thought this was a good book, because the author was able to go inside the mind of the abductee and sort've give us an insight to what they go through, and why they become attached to their abductor. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |
This book probably should have been written for adults not teens. It was very well written and you felt for the girl, but it was sick. ( )
  melcbooks | Mar 16, 2016 |
This is how things look: Shady Pines Apartments, four shabby buildings tucked off the road near the highway.

"Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared. Once upon a time, my name was not Alice. Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was. When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends: her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget"--Book flap.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,247,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible