Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Living Dead Girl (2008)

by Elizabeth Scott

969None8,881 (3.89)44
(6) 2009 (12) 2010 (8) abduction (51) abuse (59) ARC (8) child abduction (7) child abuse (21) contemporary (9) crime (9) death (7) disturbing (7) ebook (7) fiction (63) horror (7) kidnapping (70) pedophile (13) pedophilia (8) rape (38) read (12) read in 2009 (10) realistic fiction (15) sexual abuse (48) teen (22) teen fiction (10) to-read (28) torture (6) YA (55) young adult (70) young adult fiction (22)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (kaledrina)
    Stolen by Lucy Christopher (weener)
    weener: Living Dead Girl is a lot more graphic and disturbing than Stolen, but both are well-written, compelling tales of the relationship between kidnappers and their victims.
    What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles (weener)
    weener: Both about teenage girls trying to free themselves from extremely difficult situations.
    The Collector by John Fowles (guyalice)
    Scowler by Daniel Kraus (feeling.is.first)
    feeling.is.first: young adult horror, child abuse
    Dead to You by Lisa McMann (meggyweg)
    Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin (meggyweg)
    I Choose to Live by Sabine Dardenne (meggyweg)

English (118)  German (1)  All languages (119)
“I have been smashed and put back together so many times nothing works right. Nothing is where it should be, heavy thumping in my shoulder where my heart now beats.”

I had heard Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott described as disturbing but I really didn’t think it would bother me but, people, believe me when I say this book is very disturbing. A stark look at a young girl’s life after she has been abducted by a pedophile. She lives a life of terror and abuse that is very hard to read about. I think the author deserves kudos for delivering such a honest look at this brutal subject but the fact that this book is published as a YA is astonishing. I am not convinced that this is a YA book, at the very least I believe that a young girl would need a fair amount of discussion to understand what is going on here. I would definitely say this this is a book for the upper reaches of the YA audience.

The author pulls no punches as she tells Alice’s story in a unique style that is both riveting and effective. We are drawn into the mind of this young girl who has suffered not only physical and sexual abuse, but also has been physically forced to maintain a child’s body. Alice knows that there was a previous girl before her, and she knows that when that girl got too old she was murdered. Instead of scaring her, Alice longs for her time of release. When her abductor comes up with a plan for the two of them to kidnap another child, she is willing to go along with it in order to see the end of her suffering. It is chilling to read of how she helps to set up a young girl that she meets playing in a park, but at the same time, one can understand how she has been conditioned to help this monster.

I did not find that the author crossed any boundaries of taste, this is a difficult subject but one that we all know does happen. This is a short book but Living Dead Girl will be a book that I will not easily forget, and as a mother and grandmother I can only say that we can’t be vigilant enough with our young. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jan 11, 2014 |
Harrowing read. Scott gets Alice's voice and situation perfectly. The only reason I didn't finish in one sitting is that I had to leave the house and go out, and as it was I was late. ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 24, 2013 |
Pros:
* Incredibly hard to read
* Great use of an unreliable narrator
* Scary, thought provoking

Cons:
* Incredibly hard to read
* Horrible subject matter
* A lot of OMFG moments

Reading this was like watching a Law and Order: SVU episode from the victim's POV. Difficult subject matter handled in a beautiful and engaging way. ( )
1 vote ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
I need therapy, and also whiskey. ( )
  lizziewrites | Sep 20, 2013 |
I give that book 3.5 stars. I think I would've liked it more if it was more brutal. After reading [b:The Serial Killers|1187152|The Serial Killers|Colin Wilson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1181747088s/1187152.jpg|1175138], nothing can disturb me.

I was really curious about Living Dead Girl and I must admit that I enjoyed it. I don't know if I like to read about people that had it worst than me or I am a latent psychopath (I am joking about that!), but I had kind of sadistic pleasure reading about Alice's misfortunes. I also could sympathize with her when she wanted other people to suffer the same way she did.

I guess I'm just surprised about the amount of people that voted it with a five, just because they find it a novelty and a horrific tale. That is not a reason for a five and it is not such a troublesome book. Worst things happen to people everyday and we just need to start imagine it, there is no need for books. But if Alice manages to open someones eyes about the nature of people, well maybe it deserves a five! ( )
  crdf | Sep 15, 2013 |
This is how things look: Shady Pines Apartments, four shabby buildings tucked off the road near the highway.

Abducted when she was only 10 years old, Alice has endured five years of indescribable physical and mental abuse. Trapped in the tiny world her abductor, Ray, has created for her, Alice prays for death. Instead, something worse happens : Ray commands Alice to find him a new girl.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible