Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Living Dead Girl (2008)

by Elizabeth Scott

Room by Emma Donoghue (kaledrina)
    Stolen by Lucy Christopher (weener)
    weener: Living Dead Girl is a lot more graphic and disturbing than Stolen, but both are well-written, compelling tales of the relationship between kidnappers and their victims.
    What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles (weener)
    weener: Both about teenage girls trying to free themselves from extremely difficult situations.
    The Collector by John Fowles (guyalice)
    Scowler by Daniel Kraus (feeling.is.first)
    feeling.is.first: young adult horror, child abuse
    Dead to You by Lisa McMann (meggyweg)
    Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin (meggyweg)
    I Choose to Live by Sabine Dardenne (meggyweg)

English (131)  German (1)  All languages (132)
I picked this book up on an impulse, not knowing what it was about, but the title interested me. It is written very uniquely, told from the view of a young girl who was never allowed to grow up. It's a story about Alice, not her real name, who is abducted when she was on a school field trip. Her abductor changes her name, and doesn't allow her to eat, wanting her to stay "his little girl" forever. Some of the details are very graphic and shocking, but unfortunately very true to what goes on in any long term abduction. She learns to live with her abductor, even doing errands for him outside of the house. But when Ray wants her to find another girl for him to "love", she realizes she may not have much time left. I thought this was a good book, because the author was able to go inside the mind of the abductee and sort've give us an insight to what they go through, and why they become attached to their abductor. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |
This book probably should have been written for adults not teens. It was very well written and you felt for the girl, but it was sick. ( )
  melcbooks | Mar 16, 2016 |
Living Dead Girl ist ein kurzes Buch (knapp 176 Seiten - oft nur zur Hälfte bedruckt, zumindest auf dem Kindle), welches in einem recht einfachen Englisch geschrieben wurde. Das liegt aber auch daran das der Leser hier die Welt von 'Alice' kennenlernt, die grade mal 15 ist und deren Tag nicht aus Schule, Mode und Make-Up besteht, sondern aus dem, was Ray ihr vorschreibt. Ray plant sogar ihre Mahlzeiten und versucht so, 'Alice' am Erwachsenwerden zu hindern. Sie soll sein kleines Mädchen bleiben.

Alice, die uns diese Geschichte erzählt, zeigt schonungslos auf, was in ihr vorgeht, wie sie denkt, was sie fühlt und was Ray ihr antut. Das alles in einer Art, die eben genau einem Mädchen entspricht, dem die Kindheit geklaut wurde. Die Familie geklaut wurde. Ihr Leben geklaut wurde. Alice ist ein 'Living Dead Girl'.

Das Buch ist ein Jugendbuch. Viele Dinge sind umschrieben, dadurch aber nicht weniger grausam. Wer jedoch Bücher wie Jack Ketchum's Evil kennt, dem wird dieses Buch schon fast harmlos erscheinen. Jedoch nur auf den ersten Blick, es regt zum Denken an und auch wenn man eigentlich nicht mehr am Lesen ist, lässt das Buch nicht so schnell los.

Kein Buch für zwischendurch und etwas ganz anderes, als ich normalerweise lese. Deswegen gibt es hier auch keine Pandabären. Solch ein Buch möchte ich einfach nicht bewerten und bestimmen, was hier Gut oder Schlecht ist. Deswegen auch wenig Details und einfach nur ein paar Sätze, die ich gerne los werden wollte.
  Wandapanda | Mar 13, 2016 |
Every free moment was spent reading this book. I read it about a year ago but it has stuck with me because it is just one of those books.

This title is definitely not for the faint of heart or those who do like to read about violence to children. If you can read it, it is incredibly gripping and will remain with you long after the story has ended. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Haunting.

This book is really dark but explores some very interesting themes when it comes to being the victim in abduction.

I wouldn't want to read it again, it was very short and so didnt take me very long to finish.

I would reccommend this if you want to be taken out of your comfort zone. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
This is how things look: Shady Pines Apartments, four shabby buildings tucked off the road near the highway.

"Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared. Once upon a time, my name was not Alice. Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was. When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends: her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget"--Book flap.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,244,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible