Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Actor and the Housewife: A Novel by…

The Actor and the Housewife: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Shannon Hale

Member:MissWoodhouse1816
Title:The Actor and the Housewife: A Novel
Authors:Shannon Hale
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2010), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:ER, Won!, Fiction, Hollywood, Acting, Home, Wife, Husband, Humour, Religion

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale (Author)

*Spoiler Alert!*

If you can get past the fantastical meeting of these two, the "witty banter" between the Felix and Becky was cute and believable about 1/3 of the way into the book. Then it just became rote and sophomoric. Their relationship never seemed to grow or develop in the 15 or so years they were friends. They talked every day, then they didn't talk for months. Becky felt secure in their friendship, then she suspects he'll never call again. Mike is alive and well, gets cancer and goes into remission all in the same chapter. Does Felix love Becky platonically or romantically? Is Becky "cheating" on her husband because her best friend is a man?

It gets cumbersome, boring and completely predictable, right down to the "we love each other, but not that way" ending. At 339 pages, it's about 100 pages too long. Maybe 150 pages. Maybe it should have been a short story... ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I was captivated by the verbal repartee between the two primary characters, Becky and Felix, and then Becky's husband Mike. This book covered the topic of how can a married woman have a friendship with another man without compromising her marriage and, overall, it was handled well although I don't think very many relationships could survive this type of scenario.

I was annoyed with the ending, though. It was not what I'd pictured and although it was more in line with the character of Becky I didn't like how quickly the decision was made and the end tag line. Don't get me wrong - the book was good, well-written, and a fun fantasy read, but I wanted it to go in another direction (pout). ( )
  sdmtngirl | Jan 30, 2014 |
4.5 stars.

Becky, a 34-year old Mormon wife and mother from Utah is in L.A. to sell a screenplay she’s written, where she meets Felix Callahan, a gorgeous actor who starred in Becky’s favourite romantic comedy. Somehow, even though they got off to a rough start and have absolutely nothing in common, over time, they become best friends. Becky’s husband Mike, after seeing them together, decides they are just like two little girls at summer camp (“camp girls”, he calls them), the way they feed off each other.

I love Shannon Hale! This book was really fun! Lots of humour, and this “clash” of two worlds, with Becky as a “normal” person and Felix as a celebrity. One little thing I didn’t like (and I’m sure this is just me), but it only happened a few times anyway, was some gushing over children and babies. But, overall, it was really, really fun to read. Luckily most of my out-loud laughing was confined to home, not on the bus. As was the crying. :-) ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 3, 2014 |
he author has a knack for writing witty repartee between her characters which kept this book moving along. The protagonist's "Goody Two Shoes" image became grating after a while. I liked it well enough to try another by this author. ( )
  jules72653 | Oct 11, 2013 |
I wasn't supposed to like this book. I wasn't even supposed to read it. I generally steer clear of religious fiction period, no matter the religion. I usually find it pedantic and awful. It's just a hard genre to write fiction in. I know I'd never give writing it a shot, because I know I couldn't do it right.

This, however, is done right. Maybe it's because Hale is one of my very most favorite authors ever or maybe it's because it was just a darn good book. I don't know. Whatever the case, it rocked.

It was witty, it was fast-paced, it made me laugh out loud and then sob. Reading this was seriously like hanging out with Shannon (I know, because I've been lucky enough to meet her and talk with her, and this is just exactly like her).

I think what I liked the most was that she took the parts of our religion (we're both Mormons) that should be poked fun at and poked fun at them with gusto. She took the parts that should be taken seriously and took them seriously. And she was brilliant about it.

It really is a fantasy-Mormon housewife selling screenplays, becoming besties with a famous (and very hot) actor, etc etc etc. Who hasn't dreamed of their Number One walking into their life in some serendipitous fashion? I know I have. It could descend into cheese, but it doesn't. It's fun. It's not at all campy, at least I didn't think so.

Now, don't get me wrong. Though this book DOES touch quite a lot on the Mormon faith, it is in no way a preaching tool or soapbox and it doesn't set out to convert the world. It's a fun (hilariously fun) look at an often misunderstood religion without the religion being the main focus. I think that's where it won me over. I could look at the little anecdotes like a ward potluck and laugh out loud because I KNOW THOSE PEOPLE! I've HAD that punch!

All in all, I really enjoyed it. I think anyone would really, regardless of their religious beliefs. I'm giving it a 'Pick Me' rating for being the first book in a long time that has made me laugh out loud! ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |

Hale, ShannonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Then I did the simplest thing in the world. I leaned down...and kissed him. And the world cracked open.

Agnes de Mille
For the Bryner and Bronson clans--sixty grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins--who lent their names to the characters in this book in a completely random fashion and under no circumstance resemble their fictional namesakes. Except for that one. You know who I mean. No, not you, silly, the other one. Riiight...
Becky was seven months pregnant when she met Felix Callahan.

Flirty, perky and a bit unbelievable.

What happens when your not-so-secret celebrity crush walks right into real life and changes everything? Mormon housewife Becky Jack--seven months pregnant with her fourth child--is about to find out when she meets celebrity hearththrob Felix Callahan.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shannon Hale's book The Actor and the Housewife was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,452,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible