Linked: How Everything Is Connected to…

Linked: How Everything Is Connected to Everything Else and What It Means

by Albert-László Barabási

English (20)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (22)
This is one of the most pleasant scientific reads in form of a book I have the pleasure to read had. The introduction to networks is very clever, not starting directly with science but rather introudcing all the basic and necessary conceptd, scientists and problems present in network theory. Hving presentef this the authors describes network research from a chronological poont of view, where it is very easy to understand all the new discovered concepts and the necessity of them. I have rarely had access to such pleasant literature. The book finishes describing thet last advances in network theory and paves the ground for the next conceptual step, which is networks dynamics.

My only concern is whether his papers are so well written and whether other books like this can be easily found in research areas that interest me like quantum interactions, doking, and so on.

It would have been really difficult to read from scratch a paper from this Albertq, without all this interesting introductions.

Now i am going to check the current status of his research and start to think how my research could benefit from his insights. ( )
  horacioemilio | Jan 17, 2012 |
I cannot say I understood fully all that Barabási had to say, or even was able to retain all that thought I understood at the time I read it, but still and all, I am extremely glad I tackled his books. It is really quite readable! He begins it so gently, carrying even the non-mathematicians, non-physicists, and non-scientists into more and more complexity. Our understanding of our world is gaining on our ignorance! I feel I need to at least make an attempt to keep up! ( )
  kaulsu | Nov 8, 2011 |
Another one on the "required reading" list for library school. An engaging read. ( )
  catalogthis | Apr 27, 2011 |
excelent ( )
  gxz | Jul 3, 2010 |
Barabasi's work makes fascinating reading for anyone interested in complexity. ( )
  wanack | Apr 22, 2010 |
Szüleimnek

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452284392, Paperback)

How is the human brain like the AIDS epidemic? Ask physicist Albert-László Barabási and he'll explain them both in terms of networks of individual nodes connected via complex but understandable relationships. Linked: The New Science of Networks is his bright, accessible guide to the fundamentals underlying neurology, epidemiology, Internet traffic, and many other fields united by complexity.

Barabási's gift for concrete, nonmathematical explanations and penchant for eccentric humor would make the book thoroughly enjoyable even if the content weren't engaging. But the results of Barabási's research into the behavior of networks are deeply compelling. Not all networks are created equal, he says, and he shows how even fairly robust systems like the Internet could be crippled by taking out a few super-connected nodes, or hubs. His mathematical descriptions of this behavior are helping doctors, programmers, and security professionals design systems better suited to their needs. Linked presents the next step in complexity theory--from understanding chaos to practical applications. --Rob Lightner

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:22 -0400)

We've long suspected that we live in a small world, where everything is connected to everything else. Indeed, networks are pervasive--from the human brain to the Internet to the economy to our group of friends. These linkages, it turns out, aren't random. All networks, to the great surprise of scientists, have an underlying order and follow simple laws. Understanding the structure and behavior of these networks will help us do some amazing things, from designing the optimal organization of a firm to stopping a disease outbreak before it spreads catastrophically. In Linked, Barabási, a physicist whose work has revolutionized the study of networks, traces the development of this rapidly unfolding science and introduces us to the scientists carrying out this pioneering work. These "new cartographers" are mapping networks in a wide range of scientific disciplines, proving that social networks, corporations, and cells are more similar than they are different, and providing important new insights into the interconnected world around us. This knowledge, says Barabási, can shed light on the robustness of the Internet, the spread of fads and viruses, even the future of democracy.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible