The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's…

The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Karen Miller

Member:Darkson
Title:The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children)
Authors:Karen Miller
Info:Orbit (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:fantasy

The Prodigal Mage by Karen Miller (2009)

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
The sequel to the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker duology. 10 years later. I couldn't stand this. While Asher was a joy to read about before, now he and Dathne are just nagging people who are completely, willfully, blind to their children's emerging talent. I realize that is a large thrust of the story, but when I just want to throttle every adult character, well, that ruins the reading experience. Couldn't finish it... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
bit slow going.

much harder to read than her other books. ( )
  Nergal | Jan 24, 2016 |
This book didn't make me feel sympathetic or any other kind of connection with the characters to make me want to read the sequel to it. All the characters seemed to be really extreme: either extremely cocky, extremely arrogant, extremely stupid, extremely fragile, extremely helpless, extremely annoying or extremely ignorant. There seemed to be no middle ground, no mixture, people either listened or they didn't, or they were too arrogant to even think about anything else. I don't think it was realistic in terms of character.

Disappointing since I had read Karen Miller's Riven Kingdom trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed them; perhaps these books are far too "Young-Adult" for my liking. Possibly Kingmaker: Kingbreaker should have been read first, though if Asher is anything like he is in these books in those too then I doubt that. There was a lot of refrencing to those books, and fair enough, this does come after those, though it isn't necessary. Perhaps Young-Adult isn't the way forward, though I am still very disappointed and highly recommend the Riven Kingdom series of books, particularly if you didn't seem to enjoy these books much, either. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
This book drags a bit, enough that I took it back to the library. I plan on finishing it.

someday.

I mean it.

kinda
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Asher's kids have to safe the world, about as cheesy as it gets in the sense of followup serie's but it was well written, i do however feel that rafel's character was a bit well rushed. Not nearly as well worked out as the previous serie ( )
  Lorune | Jul 6, 2014 |

Karen Millerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cotton, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een terugkeer naar de wereld van Koningmaker, Koningbreker
To Kim Manners, director, producer and storyteller extraordinaire.
A man of wit and wisdom, who left us far too soon.
Rafel was vijf, bijna zes, toen hij zijn vader voor het eerst vertelde dat hij de Bergen van Barl wilde oversteken.

When Asher's last desperate attempt to repair the damage to the weather map governing the seasons leaves him on his deathbed, Asher's son Rafel--who has been forbidden to use his inherited powers--must risk his life to save his countrymen from famine, devastation, and a rift in the very fabric of their land.… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316029203, 0316076406

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,130,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible