Magic Lessons by Justine Larbalestier

Magic Lessons (2006)

by Justine Larbalestier

Review for entire trilogy at Book 3, Magic's Child: http://www.librarything.com/work/1550737/reviews/116295724 ( )
  lquilter | Feb 18, 2015 |
The second book in a YA fantasy series. I like Larbalestier's writing and the youth she writes feel real, but at times I found this book (like the first one in the series) kind of hard going because the way she tweaks the world of the book to make it different from the world we live in (i.e. the magic she introduces) makes things pretty harsh for the characters that the reader is supposed to care about. Still, it's a good read. Not sure if there are any other books in the series, but if there are, I'll read them at some point.
  scott.neigh | May 31, 2014 |
3 stars for content, 4th star for ol' papa jello cansino. ( )
  autumnleaving | Sep 27, 2013 |
I really think that reading Liar first spoiled me for Justine Larbalestier's earlier books. They just don't have the same complexity. I don't think it helps, reading the second book in a series, that I didn't really get into the first book, very much. It's easy to read and pretty fun, but I didn't engage with the characters, and this second book felt even lighter on character development.

The whole Reason and Danny thing... while feeling quite realistic in one way, also seemed to be going way, way too fast, and to be a bit creepy. And it didn't develop their characters -- for me, anyway -- beyond a sort of sketchy outline.

Basically, like the first book, it's fun but somehow unsatisfying, and the problems with slang and so on remain. I am a bit more enthused about reading the third book than I was about reading the second, but I'm not desperately anxious to grab it off my shelf and start right away, either. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
For Niki Bern, best sister in the multiverse
Once, when I was really little, we passed a road sign peppered with bullet holes.

Fifteen-year-old Reason Cansino has learned the painful truth that she - like her mother, grandmother, and new friends Tom and Jay-Tee - must face a choice between using the magic that lives in her blood and dying young, or refusing to use the magic and losing her mind. Now a new threat leaves Reason stranded alone in New York City, struggling to control a power she barely understands. But could the danger she faces also hold the key to saving her life?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,016,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible