Wild Horse by Glenn Balch

Wild Horse (1947)

by Glenn Balch

Other authors: Pers Crowell (Illustrator)

Series: Tack Ranch (1)

I have to start this review by saying I really enjoy books by Glenn Balch. His "horse/dog" books are not geared down to children, but can be read at either a juvenile or adult level.

I've read a couple books in this series but never book number 1, "Wild Horse" (aka "The Stallion King"). From the early pages of the story, I can see where the author set the stage for several books to follow. We meet Ben and Dixie, Steve and their parents who own the Tack Ranch. In this book we also are introduced to the horse trainer, "Gaucho" from South America.

The story, about a young man (Ben is about 13) and his younger sister, Dixie (love her independent spirit!) who monitor a wild horse herd several miles away from their ranch, in the wilds of Idaho. A new stallion has taken over, a huge black horse with obvious good breeding. They name him "King", and are cheered by the idea of his progeny helping to improve the "broomtails/scrubs" breeding of the area.

But when men arrive with intent to either capture or kill King, Ben and Dixie try to come up with a plan to save him.

Good story, nice characters, not sweet but real. Recommended. ( )
  fuzzi | Apr 15, 2014 |

Glenn Balchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crowell, PersIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,631,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible