Minimum of Two by Tim Winton

Minimum of Two

by Tim Winton

English (2)  Danish (1)  All (3)
good stories - but collection of short ones - some continuance of characters
  LisFlynn | Nov 21, 2011 |
Minimum of Two was an ordinary paperback that I spent an ungodly amount of money on, as it is out of print. I feel like it needs its own safety deposit box. However, once I began I was not disappointed, it was flawless. It is similar to his collection of short stories, The Turning. But this selection is a bit different. All but two of the shorts deal with the same family, and as always he shows differing viewpoints of different events and times. It starts with a young boy dealing with his parents divorce, then the other stories are from the standpoint of the father at different points in his life: dating, newlywed, out of work, dealing with his father's illness, etc. They aren't in any chronological order, so it takes reading them all to see the complete story of the family. I like that there are gaps left unexplained so you can ponder what actually happened.

It's never a happily ever after story with Winton, and this too has it's sadness and poignancy. What I liked though was how, as I already know how fast life can change, as an individual I can only look back and forward in my own life. In this set of stories, I could see his life, backwards and forwards, and see what the main character couldn't see: all his options and choices and how they turned out. Great book!!!! ( )
  BlackSheepDances | Dec 24, 2009 |

"Tim Winton's second short story collection explores the complexity of human relationships through the themes of futility and hope, revenge and redemption, birth and death that twist through each tale in turn, emerging, re-emerging, competing, conflicting. As characters, too, surface and reappear, their lives are slowly, painstakingly revealed. Through frozen moments and stolen glances, their stories - and histories - are told, their emotions exposed, their souls stripped bare. Threaded together by Tim Winton's prose, the tales in Minimum of Two ultimately offer an optimistic view of the world in which we live."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible