Puppies for Dummies by Sarah Hodgson

Puppies for Dummies

by Sarah Hodgson

Series: for Dummies, for Dummies pets

Reviewed with Dog Training for Dummies.

I am reviewing these two books together for, I assume, what are obvious reasons. I also must come clean at this point: I didn't finish reading either one. But these are reference books and so I feel OK with that decision. I have them to consult when I need them, and I like having them around.

The books in the Dummies series tend to be fairly well-written, at least in my experience (not extensive, but a number of different titles - Art, Scuba Diving and Snorkeling, Sailing, Homebrewing, Canadian History, etc. - can be found on my bookshelves), and they provide a good overview to the subject. The Puppies and Dog Training books are no exception.

The Puppies book started off at a very basic level and in fact made me wish we had purchased the book before getting a dog.* It surveys the various breeds and would be very helpful for someone unsure what kind of dog would be most appropriate. Of course, it also discusses mixed breeds as well. There were further useful chapters on topics such as housebreaking and puppyproofing - another chapter that would have been useful about 8 months sooner. (He's now 100% housebroken** but there were some unnecessary tears shed along that route.)

As for the Dog Training book, while Rion was decently trained by the time I started reading this book (well, OK - 'sit' and 'lie down' was virtually impeccable, 'stay' was sometimes optional, and 'come' was contingent on the bribery being proferred), there have been multiple tips and tricks in the book that have helped us improve his training regimen. Consistency, as any dog owner will tell you, is key. Consistency is also the hardest thing to achieve at times (I'd like to see if you are able to tell Fido that he must give up the sock at once even though he is the cutest little thing in the world, sitting with it all pretty in his mouth).

So while the books are basic, they are useful as reference texts. And I've learned some interesting snippets: For instance, have you ever wondered why, while scolding your dog for something he should not be doing, his tail starts wagging? He looks shameful but the tail says otherwise. Well, apparently a wagging tail is not necessarily an indication of a happy, carefree dog but can also often indicate that the dog is trying to calm you down (diffusion of a tense situation). Also, a leash-free Jack Russell is almost never a good thing in cities (good to know).

*A comment not to be construed in any way to imply that I would trade my little Rion in for a million other dogs - no way!
**Statement may only be 97% accurate. ( )
  pixxiefish | Mar 17, 2009 |
This is a great resource for anyone looking to get a puppy. The information helped me out both before and after I'd found my dog. I've recommended it to several friends on dog searches of their own, and they've also found it very useful. ( )
  xicanti | Nov 18, 2006 |

Sarah Hodgsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuilder, NathalieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Arguably, there is no animal in the world that can offer you the amount of unconditional devotion as a dog. The period of puppyhood can be the toughest and most delightful era in your dog’s life. Each puppy, as it grows into doghood, faces – and sees – the world in different and unique ways. Some puppies thrive on human interaction; others prefer an independent lifestyle. Some love the general mayhem that small children create; others find the commotion less thrilling. Your puppy will grow up to be your friend, keeper, and voice.

Puppies For Dummies is for anyone interested in exploring this momentous era in a dog’s life. Whether you already have a puppy curled at your feet (or chewing at your shoelaces), or if you’re still in the thinking-about-it stage, this clearly written and easy-to-understand guide will help you toChoose the perfect puppyRaise a well-mannered, happy puppyHousetrain your puppy quickly and effectivelyProvide proper puppy care and nutritionKeep peace between kids and puppies

Find out how to create a lasting relationship between your puppy and you. Explore different training methods to fit your puppy’s needs. Puppies For Dummies also covers the following topics and more:Finding a puppy that fits your lifestyleWhere to get your puppyShopping for puppy suppliesThe five stages of developmentTeaching your pup some control and mannersEnsuring the fitness and health of your puppyFun games and tricks

Having a puppy and experiencing it grow up to be full-grown dog is an amazing journey that will never be forgotten. With a focus on behavior and relationship, this book will show you everything you need to know about your puppy so that it will grow up to be a healthy, playful, and well-mannered dog.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:47 -0400)

Describes popular breeds of dogs and includes advice on training, socialization, healthcare, nutrition, and exercise.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,918,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible