Assata: an Autobiography by Assata Shakur

Assata: an Autobiography

by Assata Shakur

English (11)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
great book if you are interested in the subject! ( )
  miketopper | Jul 15, 2013 |
This book is all about racism, and often it’s shocking. But this story of the government persecution of a Black Panther woman is also a book about endurance and strength. It blows my mind that Shakur survived. The book is honest, informative, historically relevant, occasionally polemic but never so much that it becomes boring. ( )
  astrologerjenny | Apr 25, 2013 |
just finished this and it was really well-written and compelling. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
I heard a song written about this woman and ran to get the autobiography. it didn't disappoint. it reads like a novel but it is spiritually fulfilling.

Assata's story made me feel as though I could do more in my community and that I was not helpless. Great read. I recommend this book for any and all. ( )
  Januraqua | Mar 22, 2013 |
Assata allows the reader into her life, a life of hardship, peril, and struggle. Assata takes the reader from when she was wrongfully accused, to her time in prison, through her pregnancy, and brings the reader to when she left the country due to persecution. I was surprised to discover the story of Assata Shakur, as I was not aware she even existed until I began reading this book. Like so many heroes of the civil rights movement, Assata Shakur deserves to have her story told to a wider audience, and to have more people know what she did and how she struggled for freedom. I would use this work as an addition to a civil rights unit in my class, and look forward to exposing my students to Shakur's story. ( )
  skane86 | Nov 29, 2012 |

Assata Shakurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, AngelaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hinds, Lennox S.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The author, formerly known as JoAnne Chesimard, relates the formative experiences of her youth that led her to a life of activism in Black nationalist organizations and, eventually, to prison

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible