Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

by Seth Grahame-Smith

Other authors: Jane Austen

Series: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (1)

8,576412569 (3.23)1 / 445
Recently added bybookcollector24, rena75, private library, ishamaeli, LSDWho, MystryssCrymsyn, msroser, RGold714
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fugitive)
    fugitive: Duh!
    Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Another work from Quirk Classics in the same vein as P&P&Z.
    Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters (sweetandsyko)
    Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat (nnattie30)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: You could call this book "Pride and Prejudice and Dragons". The Dragons are the main characters in the book and live in an P&P type setting. While an original novel it can be considered another take on Austen's work.
    Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford (infiniteletters)
    Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin (bookymouse)
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    The Baum Plan for Financial Independence: and Other Stories by John Kessel (suzanney)
    suzanney: This story collection includes "Pride and Prometheus"- in which characters from Pride and Prejudice meet Frankenstein. It's available for free online.

English (396)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (411)
En rolig bok! Jag tyckte mest om den i början, då var den roligast.
Den följer originalhistorien väldigt nära, med lite extra zombies i handlingen.
Det fanns vissa saker som drog ned betyget lite grann. Till exempel Wickhams öde och de sju snitten.
Kulturen i boken är helt annorlunda i Stolthet och fördom och zombier mot vad den är utan zombier. Zombierna har inte alltid funnits i den här världen utan är ett relativt nytt tillskott till världen (55 år eller så). Bland annat finns det en krigarheder som flera gånger omnämns (och gör att Darcy är nära att förlora huvudet i en tidig del av boken).
En ganska trevlig bok men kanske lite i det blodigaste laget emellanåt. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
I liked the cover of this book, and that's about the only good thing I can say about it. ( )
  sturlington | Jan 11, 2019 |
I'm not sure why I held out on reading this one for so long. Well, ok, maybe it's because I have no interest in zombies. But I love Austen adaptations and finally thought to read this one.

It was well written. It was very clever. The author actually used events that happened in Pride and Prejudice and fit the zombies into the story so easily that it actually made perfect sense. I thought the zombie storyline added something to the storyline with Darcy discouraging Bingley about Jane, very clever.

It was pretty gross and very bloody. But I think that's to be expected.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
This book did make me laugh out loud in a couple of parts, both involving Mr. Collins. However, I really didn't like the whole ninja concept. I can see why he included it, and maybe some people found it funny, but I thought it was kind of annoying, especially since it dominated over the zombies. I would've rather he put in more zombie scenes or more talk of zombies and less ninja practice.

But besides the way I feel about the added content, I can go two different directions in the way I feel about the concept the book itself. On one hand, Grahame-Smith breathed new life (no zombie pun intended) into a classic that most people wouldn't read unless they were forced to in school. People will buy this book, read this book, and get tricked into reading and knowing the story of Pride and Prejudice. I think that's really genius in a way, and I applaud Grahame-Smith for it.

However, considering Grahame-Smith's formula here of basically just substituting every other word with "zombie" and "ninja", with the occasional added scene, I felt like a five year old could've done a better job in putting a more entertaining twist to the original story. And I think some part of me is bitter that he came up with the idea of basically reselling the original Pride and Prejudice (because the majority of this book IS Pride and Prejudice) for his own financial gain. ( )
1 vote VeeMcD123 | Oct 13, 2018 |
Everything is better with zombies! Okay, so maybe I like the original P&P better. But this is still very much fun. And the discussion questions are hilarious. ( )
  akaGingerK | Oct 2, 2018 |
P&P&Z has just too much Austen and not enough zombies. I found myself skimming, skipping larger and larger chunks of text to get to the zombie sequences, desperate to escape the claustrophobic drawing-room chatter of Austen's characters with a little beheading, disemboweling and derring-do.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 1, 2009)

Grahame-Smith, Sethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hockensmith, Stevesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
The mere stateliness of money or rank she could witness without trepidation, but the presence of a woman who had slain ninety dreadfuls with nothing more than a rain-soaked envelope was an intimidating prospect indeed.
‘What can be da meaning of dis?’ howled Charlotte, as soon as he was gone. ‘Mah dear Ewiza, he muss be love you, aw he never wuh have called in dis famiwiar way.’
(From the back of the book) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edtion of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton -- and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers -- and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

AR 8.0, 18 Pts

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,327,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible