Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

by Seth Grahame-Smith (Author), Jane Austen

Series: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (1)

6,797345542 (3.26)1 / 394
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fugitive)
    fugitive: Duh!
    Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Another work from Quirk Classics in the same vein as P&P&Z.
    Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters (sweetandsyko)
    Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat (nnattie30)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: You could call this book "Pride and Prejudice and Dragons". The Dragons are the main characters in the book and live in an P&P type setting. While an original novel it can be considered another take on Austen's work.
    Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford (infiniteletters)
    Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin (bookymouse)
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    The Baum Plan for Financial Independence: and Other Stories by John Kessel (suzanney)
    suzanney: This story collection includes "Pride and Prometheus"- in which characters from Pride and Prejudice meet Frankenstein. It's available for free online.

English (330)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (345)
I don’t know about this one, people. I think the basic idea is pretty grand actually, and in the beginning I think the mixing of blood-soaked zombie mayhem and match-making among English country gentry is working really well. The politeness and social code of Austens bits are seen as the façade it really is when contrasted with battle scenes – but there’s also the likeness of Lizzy’s strict warrior code and what’s proper for her as a young lady. However, soon Grahame-Smith sets out smudging other parts of Austen’s writing. We hear of girls carving their lover’s name into their belly, there’s lots of vomiting, soiling of pants and love affairs with polish blokes (?). Pretty quickly I get the feeling Grahame-Smith isn’t writing *with* Austen, but rather *against* her – “transforming a masterpiece of classical literature into something you’d actually want to read”, as the back blurb puts it. And then much of the fun goes away. The contrast between the worlds thins out. To me, this mash-up kind of reduces both parts into something less than they could have been on their own. ( )
  GingerbreadMan | Dec 1, 2014 |
Un amigo cercano lo definió como la violación de un clásico. Tras terminarlo, he de darle la razón. Se construye en torno a bromas-injerto, lo que significa que las partes que hacen de esto un "y Zombis", el texto nuevo, no está para nada integrado. En lugar de reescribir el clásico, han cogido el texto e insertado fragmentos nuevos, tal cual. Sin condón. Lo cual entorpece mucho la lectura. O peor aún, la reescritura mata la función de la sutileza en el uso del lenguaje de Jane Austen, por lo que su tan famosa fina ironía, se pierde. Pese a todo, en ocasiones es posible esbozar una sonrisilla, quedarse en estado de shock o incluso soltar una carcajada debido al surrealismo de las situaciones.

No es que me considere una fan de Jane Austen, de hecho, Pride and Prejudice me aburre. No es un cumplido que piense que ni los combates ni las hordas de zombis ni la casquería lo hacen más dinámico...

Es mi opinión, personal e intrasferible. ( )
  5oclockgazpacho | Nov 22, 2014 |
I had a few guilty laughs at this book. I'm not sure what the zombies and ninjas add, but the innuendo had me giggling. ( )
  martensgirl | Nov 19, 2014 |
Good for a giggle if you're an Austen fan, and an easy enough read when you're not looking for too much brain stress. It is exactly what it sounds like. Not much more to say than that, really! ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Well, what can I say about this book? I thought it was a stupid idea, but when a friend offered it to me, I thought I might make a quick read of it and be better able to trash talk it when it came up in conversation. It was just as bad as I expected - worse, even. Because Grahame-Smith not only inserts weird things about zombies, but changes many of Austen's words without adding anything about zombies. These changes do nothing to improve the book, of course, but they don't even add any content. All they really do is make explicit every thought, glance, or action that was implied in the original. I think it was an extremely unnecessary publication. Even worse, they are making more of these rewritten classics, which are simultaneously watered down and sensationalized. If you want to mess with the classics, you're much better off writing a spin-off using a different setting, or the same characters - hundreds of these have been done to Pride and Prejudice, and every one I have read is much more interesting and enjoyable than this. What a waste of time. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
The success of any pastiche lies in its ability to capture the tone of that original, and in this Grahame-Smith has succeeded admirably.

P&P&Z has just too much Austen and not enough zombies. I found myself skimming, skipping larger and larger chunks of text to get to the zombie sequences, desperate to escape the claustrophobic drawing-room chatter of Austen's characters with a little beheading, disemboweling and derring-do.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 1, 2009)

Grahame-Smith, SethAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hockensmith, Stevesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
(From the back of the book) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edtion of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton -- and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers -- and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

AR 8.0, 18 Pts

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,351,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible