Pride And Prejudice And Zombies by Seth…

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies

by Seth Grahame-Smith

Other authors: Jane Austen

7,334380482 (3.25)1 / 428
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fugitive)
    fugitive: Duh!
    Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Another work from Quirk Classics in the same vein as P&P&Z.
    Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters (sweetandsyko)
    Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat (nnattie30)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: You could call this book "Pride and Prejudice and Dragons". The Dragons are the main characters in the book and live in an P&P type setting. While an original novel it can be considered another take on Austen's work.
    Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford (infiniteletters)
    Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin (bookymouse)
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    The Baum Plan for Financial Independence: and Other Stories by John Kessel (suzanney)
    suzanney: This story collection includes "Pride and Prometheus"- in which characters from Pride and Prejudice meet Frankenstein. It's available for free online.

English (365)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (380)
You have to admit that this book's cover is pretty attention-getting! I picked up this book after a friend told me it was pretty good. What I really enjoyed the most about this book is its continuity with the original story. The additions of zombie-fighting really fit in well with the story. I found this to be an easy read (well, as easy as 19th century British literature can be) that was entertaining and fun.

I think my favorite part of the story is when the zombies attack (at different intervals). The fight scenes and the main characters' reactions are all written really well. I wanted to jump in and help beat back the monsters! ( )
  gabesmom | Apr 20, 2016 |
The book is very similar to the Pride and Prejudice with zombies thrown in. The book has many amusing parts in it. The writing style made it difficult for me to read sometimes, but I still thought the book was very enjoyable. ( )
  ABeauregard | Apr 14, 2016 |
I ended up liking this far more than I expected. I've never been one for Jane Austen, but once I acclimated to the language, this was a fun, humorous retelling. I very much enjoyed Elizabeth Bennet and her fiery temper. ( )
  Morteana | Apr 1, 2016 |
I read this, from the library, because of the movie coming out. I did not like it. I hope the movie will be more entertaining. I'd like to see Lizzie Bennet fully realized as a bad-ass action heroine, this book did not accomplish that. By inserting scenes of zombie mayhem into the existing work without rewriting the plot or characters at all, it fails to deliver a fun adaptation. Should have just re-read the original. ( )
  csmith0406 | Mar 18, 2016 |
So I never would have read this if my favorite narrator was not narrating this book. It actually was not as horrible as I exected it to be, but that could just be biased because of how well Katherine Kellgren reads ( )
  melcbooks | Mar 17, 2016 |
The success of any pastiche lies in its ability to capture the tone of that original, and in this Grahame-Smith has succeeded admirably.

P&P&Z has just too much Austen and not enough zombies. I found myself skimming, skipping larger and larger chunks of text to get to the zombie sequences, desperate to escape the claustrophobic drawing-room chatter of Austen's characters with a little beheading, disemboweling and derring-do.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 1, 2009)

Grahame-Smith, Sethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hockensmith, Stevesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
The mere stateliness of money or rank she could witness without trepidation, but the presence of a woman who had slain ninety dreadfuls with nothing more than a rain-soaked envelope was an intimidating prospect indeed.
(From the back of the book) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edtion of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton -- and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers -- and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

AR 8.0, 18 Pts

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,135,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible