Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

by Seth Grahame-Smith (Author), Jane Austen

Series: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (1)

6,688342559 (3.26)1 / 388
19th century (38) 2009 (75) Austen (69) classic (98) classics (103) ebook (40) England (79) fantasy (159) fiction (754) historical fiction (50) horror (328) humor (390) Jane Austen (164) Kindle (36) literature (40) mashup (71) ninja (42) novel (63) own (41) parody (218) Pride and Prejudice (50) read (53) read in 2009 (43) regency (57) retelling (37) romance (159) satire (87) to-read (161) unread (44) zombies (670)
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fugitive)
    fugitive: Duh!
    Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Another work from Quirk Classics in the same vein as P&P&Z.
    Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters (sweetandsyko)
    Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat (nnattie30)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: You could call this book "Pride and Prejudice and Dragons". The Dragons are the main characters in the book and live in an P&P type setting. While an original novel it can be considered another take on Austen's work.
    Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford (infiniteletters)
    Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin (bookymouse)
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    The Baum Plan for Financial Independence: and Other Stories by John Kessel (suzanney)
    suzanney: This story collection includes "Pride and Prometheus"- in which characters from Pride and Prejudice meet Frankenstein. It's available for free online.

English (326)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (341)
I do not believe that I have ever read the real Pride and Prejudice.....but this book was great! Makes reading British literature way more bearable. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I'm still not really sure what to think about this one...hmmm. I almost laughed out loud a couple of times, and I really enjoyed the way original text/dialogue went along side by side with all the talk about zombies. Overall it was just so bizarre...I think I liked it?

Okay, I've mulled this one over for a couple of days now. Initially, it was entertaining for the novelty of the whole thing. I giggled, I got out my copy of the actual novel to see if those lines were really the same, etc. The illustrations were a nice touch. But after the first few chapters, it started to get old. I mean, I know how the story ends, and I was right in assuming it would get there, just with a few zombie battles along the way. That's not to say Grahame-Smith didn't change anything at all, just nothing that effected the overall outcome. I did think the whole Bennet-sisters-trained-by-Chinese-martial-arts-masters-and-whipped-with-wet-bamboo thing was a really strange addition to the zombie thing, and I was actually really put off by the fact that Grahame-Smith's version of Pemberley was Asia-influenced and featured a housekeeper with bound feet. It was just weird (like everything else).

Overall, it gets points for novelty, and for the juxtaposition of the original text with the new stuff...and for being ballsy enough to do something like this with a novel like P&P. I know a few people who were horrified by the concept, and refused to even entertain the thought of picking this up. Curiosity got the better of this P&P fan though. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
Oh dear, yes! You know I had this on my shelf for the longest time and I had to hit another zombie kick before I got around to reading it. Now I can't wait to read the next one! Though I don't think I'll read the "prequel" one.

I thought this was really well done how so much of the original story and feel was kept intact but there was so much more humor and LIFE added by the undead. Haha - yeah I laugh at my own joke. neener neener.

If you enjoy the classics and want a bit of a change - I recommend this. It didn't quite live up to all of the hype but it definitely deserves at least a 4.5 star rating. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Charming spoof ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
The success of any pastiche lies in its ability to capture the tone of that original, and in this Grahame-Smith has succeeded admirably.

P&P&Z has just too much Austen and not enough zombies. I found myself skimming, skipping larger and larger chunks of text to get to the zombie sequences, desperate to escape the claustrophobic drawing-room chatter of Austen's characters with a little beheading, disemboweling and derring-do.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 1, 2009)

Grahame-Smith, SethAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hockensmith, Stevesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
(From the back of the book) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edtion of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton -- and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers -- and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

AR 8.0, 18 Pts

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,247,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible