dismiss

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance Now with…

by Seth Grahame-Smith

9,084418584 (3.23)1 / 451
A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.
Member:AustenBlog
Title:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Quirk Books (no date), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Pride and Prejudice, Parody, Mash-up

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Recently added byBlaise, SoledadMRamos, ihatemyelf, donerj, nelsam, private library, eremiticlife
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fugitive)
    fugitive: Duh!
    Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Another work from Quirk Classics in the same vein as P&P&Z.
    Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters (sweetandsyko)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: You could call this book "Pride and Prejudice and Dragons". The Dragons are the main characters in the book and live in an P&P type setting. While an original novel it can be considered another take on Austen's work.
    Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat (nnattie30)
    Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin (bookymouse)
    Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford (infiniteletters)
    The Baum Plan for Financial Independence: and Other Stories by John Kessel (suzanney)
    suzanney: This story collection includes "Pride and Prometheus"- in which characters from Pride and Prejudice meet Frankenstein. It's available for free online.
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)

English (402)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (416)
If anyone is on the fence about reading this, know that it also has ninjas.
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
So, now I’ve finally read Pride and Prejudice…eh…I mean Pride and Prejudice and Ninjas. No wait, that’s not right either…hm…Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, that’s the one! Yes, I’ve read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and it’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever read. I mean that in both a good and a bad way, because objectively speaking this is not a very good book, yet it is also oddly entertaining.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies doesn’t take itself too seriously, it’s supposed to be crazy and fun, and it fully knows this. On the other hand, not a lot of effort has gone into actually writing it, and it has problems with consistency between the new and the original parts. Elizabeth is Elizabeth from the classic, and at the same time she’s also a second, zombie killing character. Talk about dual personality! I feel the author should have tried to take more liberties with the original, because the problem lies with trying too hard at being Pride and Prejudice, which makes for a glaring contrast with the new elements. The classic story and the zombies are just not very well integrated with each other. (Not sure what I expected though…)

What this book succeeded with was making me talk aloud to myself, more specifically yell out W-T-F every now and then. Pondering the biggest plot-hole ever? Screw that, because here come lady de Burgh’s ninjas! Lizzie to the rescue! And add in some vomit, decapitations and references to male genitals, and you’re done. Voila, Pride and Prejudice and Ninjas! Uh, I mean Zombies…Zombies ffs!
  LadyDarbanville | Jun 28, 2020 |
"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" was my second read for my "Pride, Prejudice and Pastiches" reading challenge. Unfortunately, it turned out not to be for me. I abandoned it at 38% (a little more than four hours).

I was attracted by the wonderful title ( a gift from the author's editor) and the fun movie (which was visually stunning) so I had some hopes that the book would be equally amusing. Sadly, it wasn't.

The book is a roughly sewn quilt which uses small squares of the Austen original, with all the wit and nuance washed out, to hold together a Georgian zombie story.

For this to have been worthwhile, the zombie parts of the book needed to have something fresh and compelling that went beyond the unlikely juxtaposition of genteel Georgian young women, Japanese samurai sword-play and stumbling zombies.

What I was offered was a series of splatterfests that were neither funny nor gruesome and a picture of the Bennet sisters as a pack of dagger-wielding, pistol-shooting, throat-slitting, neck-slicing, psychopaths with a lust for weaponry and fond memories of abusive training by a master of the Chinese martial arts.

The Austen parts so simplified the people that I found them more horrifying than the zombie scenes. The zombie scenes were shallow and repetitive. Worst of all, Elizabeth Bennet became someone I would cheerfully have seen dismembered with her own sword.

Katherine Kellgran does a good job at the narration. Click on the SoundCloud link below to hear a sample.
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
It's amazing how he kept every page of the book, modifying most pages (all?) to weave zombies into the story.
Austen fans really ought to give it a try. ( )
  LordGro | May 7, 2020 |
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains."

Pride and Prejudice has always been a favorite of mine so naturally, when I saw this I had to have it.

More or less this tells the story we all know and love...just with badass fighting, ninjas and zombies thrown into the mix. I really loved how the "unmentionables" were thrown into the story, everything flowed easily. The pacing was just right and of course there was the added bonus of a sword wielding Mr. Darcy.
The illustrations were a nice touch as well..(who am I kidding, I loved them).

If you love Pride and Prejudice and are a fan of zombie books/movies then you've got to read this! ( )
  maebri | Mar 10, 2020 |
P&P&Z has just too much Austen and not enough zombies. I found myself skimming, skipping larger and larger chunks of text to get to the zombie sequences, desperate to escape the claustrophobic drawing-room chatter of Austen's characters with a little beheading, disemboweling and derring-do.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 1, 2009)

Grahame-Smith, Sethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hockensmith, Stevesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The mere stateliness of money or rank she could witness without trepidation, but the presence of a woman who had slain ninety dreadfuls with nothing more than a rain-soaked envelope was an intimidating prospect indeed.
‘What can be da meaning of dis?’ howled Charlotte, as soon as he was gone. ‘Mah dear Ewiza, he muss be love you, aw he never wuh have called in dis famiwiar way.’

(From the back of the book) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edtion of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton -- and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers -- and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

AR 8.0, 18 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,277,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible