Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with… (edition 2009)

by Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith

7,570390453 (3.24)1 / 431
Title:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Quirk (2009), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:zombies, humour, fiction

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Recently added bybinemi, phillip07, private library, joshanastasia, librarypimpin, beebarth, dann_schuler, noravon, wkmcconnell, Kacex
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fugitive)
    fugitive: Duh!
    Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Another work from Quirk Classics in the same vein as P&P&Z.
    Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters (sweetandsyko)
    Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat (nnattie30)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: You could call this book "Pride and Prejudice and Dragons". The Dragons are the main characters in the book and live in an P&P type setting. While an original novel it can be considered another take on Austen's work.
    Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford (infiniteletters)
    Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin (bookymouse)
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    The Baum Plan for Financial Independence: and Other Stories by John Kessel (suzanney)
    suzanney: This story collection includes "Pride and Prometheus"- in which characters from Pride and Prejudice meet Frankenstein. It's available for free online.

English (374)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (389)
First and foremost, this is Pride and Prejudice. If you don't like 18th century England romance novels, you probably won't like this one. I personally can't stand any of that era. It drives me crazy. When I started reading this, I really, really hoped that it would primarily focus on zombies and the undead, being loosely based on Pride and Prejudice. Instead, the opposite is true. This is primarily Pride and Prejudice with small intersperses of zombies and character twists.

Second, this isn't a horror book, as much as I was hoping it would be. Instead, it is very much a romantic and horrific comedy. It becomes clear this is the case quite quickly in the book. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that I really wanted to get scared. It doesn't happen. I would describe the zombie scenes in this book as "campy". Maybe that is what Seth is going for with the story, but it's certainly not what I was expecting.

All-in-all, I enjoyed the character changes that Seth made, such as being "trained in the deadly arts", either from China or Japan, or dueling with ninjas. Even if the story very closely follows the Pride and Prejudice story written by Jane Austen, it has enough story and character changes per page, that it's actually readable. ( )
  atoponce | Oct 7, 2016 |
If I could I would give negative stars that's how much I disliked this book. ( )
  Alexis_D. | Sep 24, 2016 |
Blugh. That was a chore to get through. The premise is so cute, but the execution tried to stay way too close to the source material. I would have loved more exposition about how the dreadfuls affected everyday life, when they first became a problem, why the sisters Bennett were needed to defend Derbyshire, etc. Instead I got a handful of dreadful sightings, a few clever fight-scenes, and a lot of inexplicable "ball" jokes. The rest was pure cannon which was just plain awkward since the writing styles were so obviously different (even if you can't quote entire sections of the original... ahem.) Elizabeth was easy to buy as a zombie hunter, but the rest of the sisters, especially Jane, was a stretch. I did like the resolution to Wickam getting his comeuppance, and the interesting twist with Charlotte. Meh... I think I'll try Lincoln and if it's not any better, then I'm done with this author. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
This reminded me of reading poorly plagiarized papers as a high school English teacher. You could always spot the obvious ones by the fact that the whole thing was well written except for the bits they wrote on their own. This was a creative premise without a creative outcome. ( )
  PagesandPints | Sep 1, 2016 |
Good for a giggle if you're an Austen fan, and an easy enough read when you're not looking for too much brain stress. It is exactly what it sounds like. Not much more to say than that, really! ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
The success of any pastiche lies in its ability to capture the tone of that original, and in this Grahame-Smith has succeeded admirably.
P&P&Z has just too much Austen and not enough zombies. I found myself skimming, skipping larger and larger chunks of text to get to the zombie sequences, desperate to escape the claustrophobic drawing-room chatter of Austen's characters with a little beheading, disemboweling and derring-do.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 1, 2009)

Grahame-Smith, Sethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hockensmith, Stevesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
The mere stateliness of money or rank she could witness without trepidation, but the presence of a woman who had slain ninety dreadfuls with nothing more than a rain-soaked envelope was an intimidating prospect indeed.
‘What can be da meaning of dis?’ howled Charlotte, as soon as he was gone. ‘Mah dear Ewiza, he muss be love you, aw he never wuh have called in dis famiwiar way.’
(From the back of the book) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edtion of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton -- and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers -- and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

AR 8.0, 18 Pts

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,749,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible