Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with… (edition 2009)

by Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith

6,960350518 (3.25)1 / 415
Member:tsangal
Title:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Quirk (2009), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:zombies, humour, fiction

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fugitive)
    fugitive: Duh!
    Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Another work from Quirk Classics in the same vein as P&P&Z.
    Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters (sweetandsyko)
    Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat (nnattie30)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: You could call this book "Pride and Prejudice and Dragons". The Dragons are the main characters in the book and live in an P&P type setting. While an original novel it can be considered another take on Austen's work.
    Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford (infiniteletters)
    Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin (bookymouse)
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    The Baum Plan for Financial Independence: and Other Stories by John Kessel (suzanney)
    suzanney: This story collection includes "Pride and Prometheus"- in which characters from Pride and Prejudice meet Frankenstein. It's available for free online.

English (335)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (350)
It’s a lot more absurd than I thought, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s also a lot more integrated into the book itself -- which is only possible because it’s absurd. I guess I was expecting a zombie outbreak happening just sort of… in the background. Like a romance during times of war. Nope, Grahame-Smith wove it right into the story by making the Bennett girls awesome badass ninja zombie fighters.

Despite the zombie spin, the romance is alive and well -- although by necessity lacking some of the wit and subtlety -- and where it survives, the underlying social commentary is wry and absurd.

Favorites: Honestly, all of the best parts were from the original, and it just made me want to re-read Pride and Prejudice.

Least favorites: I did enjoy it, but it isn’t anything ground-breaking. Some of the action scenes were repetitive (which will work much better for the movie adaptation) and the absurd humor didn’t always hit the mark. I really hated that certain things were cut out of the original. ( )
  Andibook | Aug 6, 2015 |
Chick-Lit + Zombies = Awesome!!

This book was delightful. Having already read and liked Austen's zombie-free original I had high hopes for this book. It certainly lived up to the hype in my mind. A fun, quick little read I'm am sure to recommend to all my friends.
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
Pride, prejudice, zombies…I'd rather be living a real zombie apocalypse.

I know that my review might be a tad biased, as I was never a Jane Austen fan. But of course, through countless parodies and movies and adaptations, everyone and their mother ought to know the basic premise of Jane Austen's fabulous epic, Pride and Prejudice. It's a classic tale of four sisters, and how our heroine breaks down conventional, female roles of the time. Groundbreaking, for some. Now enter Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I love reading zombie books, from the drama-filled graphic novels of [b:The Walking Dead, Compendium 1|6465707|The Walking Dead, Compendium 1|Robert Kirkman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1372552170s/6465707.jpg|6656179] to the history of the zombie war in [b:World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War|8908|World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War|Max Brooks|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386328204s/8908.jpg|817], the primary focus is on the zombie, the mystery behind what started the plague, the survival, the death, and so much more. That's what I think should be the main focus of anything that really touts itself as a zombie book. [b:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies|5899779|Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #1)|Seth Grahame-Smith|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320449653s/5899779.jpg|6072122], on the other hand, uses the concept as simply a gimmick.

The Bennets live in a world where zombies have already been roaming England (or the world?) for over 70 years. Yet, everything else seems pretty peaceful, aside from the random zombie attacks that can happen every now and then. No worries…our lovely Bennet sisters are there to save the day. Except until they get married; then we're back to tradition. This book had a lot of potential to break from traditional roles, to perhaps steer the story in a different direction instead of just plastering some zombies on the front. I'm fine with the fact that there was very little action going on in a zombie novel, as this was a Pride and Prejudice adaptation. But there could have been so much more.

If you're looking for a book that focuses on zombies, no need to read this one. They're just an ornament, but don't really add much to the overall story. If you're looking for a good Pride and Prejudice story…then don't read this either. Just read (or reread) the original. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
I am still really unsure how I feel about this book, but a 3-star rating seems fair.

Cool idea to add zombies to a classic, although I completely disagree with the intention of "transform[ing] a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read." I think to actually enjoy this book you have to have read the original. This is a good book for people who were forced to read Pride and Prejudice for school and feel some negative feelings toward it because of their lack of choice in reading. Or if you're like me and love Pride and Prejudice as well as zombies, this is a pretty good pick.

Overall, I liked the book. At first I was worried that the zombie aspect of the book mostly consisted of one-liners thrown in, but as I got going, completely new scenes would appear centering around the zombie plot. By the end, it seemed to revolve mostly around Austen's original work (again with a few zombie scenes).

For the most part Grahame-Smith did well matching Austen's tone (Let's face it, no one can perfectly compare with her classic writing style) and adding some witty, if gruesome, additions.

As far as zombie descriptions, they were pretty tame. Not too much gore. For the most part, the zombies didn't even seem like much of a threat, but merely background inconveniences.

For those who have read Pride and Prejudice, any reference to class is pretty much replaced by some zombie-related feature of a character (Miss Bingley disapproves of Jane's until-ladylike habit of smithing zombies). There were a few disconnects in this, which were confusing (Miss Bingley disapproves of zombie slaying vs. Lady Catherine disapproves of the Bennet sisters having studied in China rather than her beloved Japan, but thinks women slaying zombies is perfectly reasonable).There were also a few instances where the additions didn't mesh with the time period (besides the idea of women fighting zombies, it's suggested that it's okay if the sisters do not find suitors because they can just be bodyguards, whereas during the time they would be looked down upon for having to actually have a job). But overall, an interesting idea.

I'd liked to read the prequel and sequel in the series to get background on the conception of the world. It is an interesting feat to rework a classical novel, but this one made a good go of it. ( )
  CareBear36 | Mar 26, 2015 |
Amusing and silly. It could've been a four or five star book if the zombie theme had been better integrated into - rather than spliced with - the original story. One of those books I'm glad I finally read, but it satisfied my curiosity more than anything.

3 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Mar 10, 2015 |
The success of any pastiche lies in its ability to capture the tone of that original, and in this Grahame-Smith has succeeded admirably.

P&P&Z has just too much Austen and not enough zombies. I found myself skimming, skipping larger and larger chunks of text to get to the zombie sequences, desperate to escape the claustrophobic drawing-room chatter of Austen's characters with a little beheading, disemboweling and derring-do.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 1, 2009)

Grahame-Smith, Sethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hockensmith, Stevesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
The mere stateliness of money or rank she could witness without trepidation, but the presence of a woman who had slain ninety dreadfuls with nothing more than a rain-soaked envelope was an intimidating prospect indeed.
(From the back of the book) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edtion of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton -- and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers -- and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

AR 8.0, 18 Pts

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,153,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible