Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with… (edition 2009)

by Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith

7,750403434 (3.25)1 / 436
Member:sedelia
Title:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Quirk Books (2009), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Owned
Rating:**
Tags:2012

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (fugitive)
    fugitive: Duh!
    Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Another work from Quirk Classics in the same vein as P&P&Z.
    Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters (sweetandsyko)
    Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A. E. Moorat (nnattie30)
    Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (Emidawg)
    Emidawg: You could call this book "Pride and Prejudice and Dragons". The Dragons are the main characters in the book and live in an P&P type setting. While an original novel it can be considered another take on Austen's work.
    Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford (infiniteletters)
    Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin (bookymouse)
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (jlynno84)
    The Baum Plan for Financial Independence: and Other Stories by John Kessel (suzanney)
    suzanney: This story collection includes "Pride and Prometheus"- in which characters from Pride and Prejudice meet Frankenstein. It's available for free online.

English (386)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (4)  All (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (401)
Pride and Prejudice Asian martial arts & weapons Zombies = BAM!

I thought this is a total rip off the original but Seth Grahame rewrote Jane Austen's work. However, Jane's work is still visible.

IT IS A TRUTH universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.

I laughed when I was reading this book. This is an alternate way to relive the story of Jane Austen. It became a little gross when the unmentionables eat some characters, and the action scenes added humor in it.

”No ninjas! How was that possible? 5 daughters brought up at home without any ninjas! I never heard such a thing.”
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies follows the real thing almost to the letter. It only spices it up with zombies and adds fighting abilities to some of the characters. If you liked the original Darcy, you'll like this one too.
It is humorous and entertaining. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
...As with Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, when I originally bought this book, I wasn't sure whether I'd be going into it with mixed feelings or what, but after having read that, I went into this with much more enthusiasm from the start. Even though the two novels have different authors, they have a very similar feel, and both Grahame-Smith and Winters have done an equally commendable job of weaving the new elements in with the original stories in a way that makes these books hold their own: you don't need to have read the original works to understand or appreciate these as stand-alone novels (although I highly recommend that you do read Austen's, because she was a treasure and her collective work is a gift).

Fans of Austen's original Pride & Prejudice will not be too disappointed, I think, with Grahame-Smith's off-beat re-telling, so long as they also appreciate either the absurd and/or zombie stories...

...When it comes to the story overall, I enjoyed both this and the film, but just be aware that they are not at all the same, plot-wise. You will either be disappointed in one or the other, or you will have to do as I do, and treat them as separate entities altogether. If you're a bit on the squeamish side, also be aware that Grahame-Smith can be quite descriptive, so the zombie bits are appropriately full of blood and guts and related general grossness. I enjoy that in a book like this, but it's certainly not for everyone.

(For the complete review, you can visit me at Here Be Bookwyrms on Blogger) ( )
  here.be.bookwyrms | Mar 5, 2017 |
PPZ has all of the major characters and events from the original book. In this version there are brain-eating zombies (unmentionables), and the Bennet sisters are ninja zombie killers. The focus is still very much on the gossip and dramas, but the storyline has sort of a dark comedy twist (not horror and not quite comedy either). The actual zombies didn't play as big of a part as I was expecting. It didn't blow me away, but I'm interested enough that I want to check out the movie. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
The success of any pastiche lies in its ability to capture the tone of that original, and in this Grahame-Smith has succeeded admirably.

P&P&Z has just too much Austen and not enough zombies. I found myself skimming, skipping larger and larger chunks of text to get to the zombie sequences, desperate to escape the claustrophobic drawing-room chatter of Austen's characters with a little beheading, disemboweling and derring-do.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Apr 1, 2009)

Grahame-Smith, Sethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Austen, Janesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hockensmith, Stevesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
The mere stateliness of money or rank she could witness without trepidation, but the presence of a woman who had slain ninety dreadfuls with nothing more than a rain-soaked envelope was an intimidating prospect indeed.
‘What can be da meaning of dis?’ howled Charlotte, as soon as he was gone. ‘Mah dear Ewiza, he muss be love you, aw he never wuh have called in dis famiwiar way.’
(From the back of the book) "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edtion of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton -- and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers -- and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield. Can Elizabeth vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.

AR 8.0, 18 Pts

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,839,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible