The Ruling Sea by Robert V. S. Redick

The Ruling Sea (2009)

by Robert V. S. Redick

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: The Ruling Sea
Series: The Chathrand Voyage
Author: Robert Redick
Rating: of 5 Battle Axes
Genre: SFF
Pages: 641
Format: Kindle

Synopsis: The Wolf group make the final sacrifice to stop the marriage and the false prophecy. Only to fail beyond belief. Now they must continue the battle, on the Chathrand. The Chathrand is on a voyage but their destination won't be quite what anybody planned. My Thoughts: This was sad and depressing and not in a good way. The Wolf group fall from one barely contained catastrophe into another. They don't have chance to get ahead, to plan, to figure out just what is going on. They are strictly reactive. This was like watching someone being pushed down a long staircase and then applauding because they didn't break their neck. I thought about stopping this book, this series. However, I am going to try the next book but will be ready to DNF it quick as a wink " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Had to put it aside. Wasn't getting into it like I did the first. I skimmed a bunch and jumped to the end to find out what happened. I'll try to read it thoroughly at another time.

kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
If you are following my reviews, you have probably read how much I liked The Red Wolf Conspiracy, first part of Chathrand Voyages. Not even a rough start with too much jumping between characters could dampen my enthusiasm.

But, as often happens to me when I like the first part in series so much, I delayed reading The Ruling Sea. Will it be as awesome? Maybe it was a fluke? Will Robert V.S. Redick disappoint me or earn a place in a hall of my all-time-favorites? Finally I have gathered enough courage to sail on further into the adventure.

From the beginning it's perfectly clear that Robert V.S. Redick listened to the readers input. The Ruling Sea has a much more concise start and jumps between characters are not so often. Also, the fact that most of the characters are familiar to us from The Red Wolf Conspiracy helps. Although my reading went much smoother, I could not but sadly notice that excitement and tension, because of this, were also tampered down in The Ruling Sea. I know, you can never please some people. o:)

I liked that The Ruling Sea gives us a better understanding of Mzithrini culture and that we get the better look at the so-called 'enemy' but I hoped that the plot will progress more. The Ruling Sea seemed more to deepen and clarify the characterisation and world building.

Maybe if The Red Wolf Conspiracy was not so full of adventure you would not hear me complaining me so much, it's not like nothing happens. Chathrand sails The Ruling Sea and some new strands in the web of the conspiracy are revealed. And with huge shock and discovery at the end, I am definitely left intrigued and ready to find out more.

In The End...
The Ruling Sea continues adding more intriguing depths to the characters and the world, that The Red Wolf Conspiracy introduced us to. Although maybe a little bit calmer in pacing, it's a solid sequel to the series. Chathrand Voyages still has my recommendation as a good fantasy adventure if you like ships, conspiracies and magic.

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Oct 2, 2013 |
The second book in Reddicks Chathrand Voyage builds on everything established in the first with a consummate ease that left me salivating for more. I'm amazed that a bigger deal wasn't made of these books.

The novel itself picks up shortly after the first one finishes. The passengers and crew of the Chathrand continue to struggle against an array of powerful interests, natural and supernatural both.

I really enjoyed this book on every level. The plotting was exciting and unpredictable, yet satisfying. The characters continued to evolve in depth, motivation and histories, and the prose and settings were lovely. The climax was excellent, and something I particularly enjoy with Reddick's writing is that he is not afraid of change or tragedy - something too many fantasy writers shy away from in any meaningful sense.

The Ruling Sea meets the promise of the first book in this series, and builds on it. Great stuff. ( )
  patrickgarson | Jul 21, 2013 |
In the second book of "The Chathrand Voyage Quartet" we get more high seas adventure from Pazel Pathkendle and friends as the continue to battle the evil sorcerer Arunis in their effort to save Alifros.
An excellent sequel to "The Red Wolf Conspiracy" that seems to show that R.S.V.R. is just hitting his stride as he fleshes out the story of a conspiracy to bring 2 countries to war, a boy that lost his family who is trying to stop it while dealing with the knowledge that he must help the very people that conquered his homeland, and not to mention they must all battle the rats to avoid the sinking of the ship and dooming all of Alifros.
Great addition to the series and definitely worth checking out. ( )
  wjason24 | Feb 15, 2013 |
A cup of milk tainted with blood.
This book has been published under two titles: The Rats and The Ruling Sea (UK) /The Ruling Sea (US).

Continuation of the fantasy/adventure begun in the Red Wolf Conspiracy.

In his acclaimed first novel, The Red Wolf Conspiracy, Robert V. S. Redick launched the gargantuan ship Chathrand and its motley crew of misfits, murderers, and monsters toward a landfall that may exist only in legend. Now Redick masterfully ratchets up the suspense with deep intrigue, ancient powers, and shocking new revelations.

Though the immediate plans of the dark sorcerer Arunis have been thwarted, the battle for control of the Chathrand, on which the fate of empires hinges, is far from over. On board, a small band of allies bound together less by trust than by desperate need scrambles for a means to defeat the conspiracy, while the nobleborn Thasha Isiq and the lowly deckhand Pazel Pathkendle find themselves unwillingly drawn inward to the plot’s core—and into a deadly game that will force them to make hard sacrifices.

The wizard Ramachni has left the travelers and retreated to his own world to nurse his battle wounds, but Arunis remains at large—weakened, yet still a terrifying foe. More pressing is the conspiracy of the Arquali Emperor, his chief assassin, Sandor Ott, and the Chathrand’s notorious captain, Nilus Rose, to use the dawn wedding of Thasha and a Mzithrin prince as a signal to launch a war.

With every move they make, Thasha and her compatriots find that they have more to lose—especially the deposed ixchel queen, Diadrelu, and the woken rat, Felthrup, who each harbor terrible secrets they dare not reveal.

Worst of all is a hidden, festering horror lurking in the hold of the Chathrand. A danger that not even Ramachni could have foreseen, it is the twisted product of a malevolent power determined to pull down the pillars of the world.

Now, as the Chathrand sets course through the uncharted waters of the vast and mysterious Ruling Sea, the fragile bonds of trust and love beginning to form between the unlikely allies will be tested to the breaking point—by unspeakable terrors, magical wonders, and shattering betrayals that dwarf anything that has come before.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:02 -0400)

As the gargantuan ship Chathrand sets course through the uncharted waters of the vast and mysterious Ruling Sea, the fragile bonds of trust and love beginning to form between unlikely allies Thasha Isiq and Pazel Pathkendle will be tested to the breaking point--by unspeakable terrors, magical wonders, and shattering betrayals that dwarf anything that has come before.… (more)

32 wanted2 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,201,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible