The Doomsday Key by James Rollins

The Doomsday Key

by James Rollins

Series: Sigma Force (6)

English (33)  Italian (2)  All languages (35)
Best Rollins yet (haven't read his latest one). Great story, and the characters finally have begun to really develop and set up for future novels in the Sigma Force series. I especially like the love/hate relationship between Pierce and Seichan, mortal enemies but seem to need each other in weird, twisted, adventure novel sort of ways. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
So, there's another think tank club in this one, The Club of Rome (and of course there also happens to be a club within that club too). In this book another thing that's featured is the giant seed vault that's supposed to collect every seed in the world eventually.

I thought that was the most interesting part of the book, the stuff that went on around that part of the story. There was also another, 'we're (Gray et al) being chased while trying to solve an unsolvable riddle' story that took place mostly in the UK. But it was a bit predictable.

On the other hand we do find out a bit more about The Guild, which is nice. I was wondering if we'd ever learn anything about it or if it would just continue to be the 'evil company' like in Get Smart.

With the Guild being in the book, there was lots of Seichan drama and even some Rachel Verona drama as well.

And then there was the ending. I usually am not a fan of cliff hanger endings. Even if a book is in a series it should also be its own entity. And I especially didn't like cliffhangers of the romance variety, most seem fake and forced, but, this cliffhanger ending seemed to work, and wasn't too bad at all. I liked it. I guess we'll learn which 'she' Gray was with in his place in the next book. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 28, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I have all of the Sigma Force series. As always, the pace is fast, the history and science fascinating and the characters compelling. My favorite kind of read! I highly recommend the book to anyone who enjoys a page turner that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Princeton University, a famed geneticist dies inside a biohazard lab. In Rome, a Vatican archaeologist is found dead in St. Peter's Basilica. In Africa, a U.S. senator's son is slain outside a Red Cross camp. The three murders on three continents bear a horrifying connection: all the victims are marked by a Druidic pagan cross burned into their flesh.

The bizarre murders thrust Commander Gray Pierce and Sigma Force into a race against time to solve a riddle going back centuries, to a ghastly crime against humanity hidden within a cryptic medieval codex. The first clue is discovered inside a mummified corpse buried in an English peat bog--a gruesome secret that threatens America and the world.

Aided by two women from his past--one his exlover, the other his new partner--Gray must piece together the horrifying truth. But the revelations come at a high cost, and to save the future, Gray will have to sacrifice one of the women at his side. That alone might not be enough, as the true path to salvation is revealed in a dark prophecy of doom.

Sigma Force confronts humankind's greatest threat in an adventure that races from the Roman Coliseum to the icy peaks of Norway, from the ruins of medieval abbeys to the lost tombs of Celtic kings. The ultimate nightmare is locked within a talisman buried by a dead saint--an ancient artifact known as the Doomsday Key. ( )
  anglesey | Jul 10, 2013 |
Scientists cum superheroes Sigma Force explore the myths behind the Domesday book and the conspiracy behind GM crops in their latest caper.
Often reading more like a film script than a novel the action is non-stop yet often predictable. Yes, the characters are likeable and it never felt like any of them were in genuine peril, which makes the story seem very "safe,"
Rollins needs to shake things up a bit in the next instalment to keep me interested. ( )
  cathymoore | Apr 29, 2013 |
I enjoy the way that Rollins writes but I find the entire Sigma Force versus The Guild annoying. It reminds me of the old TV show Get Smart. Having two agencies fighting each other tooth and nail yet being totally secret and unknown to the general population is fine when played for comedy, but it's difficult to take seriously.

In Doomsday Key there's multiple times when military jets and helicopters attack our intrepid heroes, and this force is projected on multiple continents and in public areas...but nobody seems to realize that The Guild exists. Hmmm.

Despite that I really enjoyed the book. Rollins takes on a lot of heavy topics like plague, global warming, over population, genetically modified food, and even the disappearance of honey bees---and wraps it all in a novel that uses religion and ancient explorers to explain things.

The action sequences are a lot of fun, albeit a mite over the top every now and then, but the tech trappings that comprise the plot are the real attraction here. Rollins does a great job fitting all those threats and dangers listed above into a credible plot. He even gives sources at the end of the book for those that want to explore the topics in greater detail. Great stuff. ( )
  dketelsen | Oct 9, 2012 |

James Rollinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fernandez, Peter JayReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gasperi, GianpaoloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The ravens were the first sign.

Commander Gray Perce and the Sigma Force confront humankind's greatest threat in an adventure that races from the Roman Coliseum to the icy peaks of Norway, from the ruins of medieval abbeys to the lost tombs of Celtic kings. The ultimate nightmare is locked within a talisman buried by a dead saint--an ancient artifact known as the Doomsday Key--and a secret that has already claimed the lives of a famed geneticist, a Vatican archaeologist, and a U.S. senator's son.… (more)

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible