Who's Got the Apple? by Jan Lööf

Who's Got the Apple?

by Jan Lööf

1191225,591 (4.45)None

I'm about to take up a new challenge upon in this honourable pursuit of motherhood, certain that millions of mothers around the world have already blazed the trail for me -- the next step in practical, home-making, home-educating, nerdy-is-necessary skilling up. I've bought two rolls of clear contact paper and will begin covering some of my more fragile paperbacks in the hope that they will endure my children's less-than-gentle handling. If other mothers have done this for decades, surely it'll work, right?

One of the first books to receive this VIP treatment is a gem that I'm afraid I could never replace. Published in the late 70s, Who's got the apple? by Swedish writer/illustrator Jan Lööf is a great storybook, an easy early-reader and a funny picture book that can promote a depth of discussion similar to those hilarious talks that happen while browsing though one of Richard Scarry's masterpieces.

This is a deceptively simple book. It starts with an April Fool's Day joke and ends up with the tables being turned and the joke ending up on the original joker. (Did someone also play a joke on you for the first of this month?)

While these events are taking place, the police are chasing a thief, a car accident wrecks the storekeeper's fence, and a kitten runs up a tree and needs to be rescued by the friendly firemen.

The man in the striped suit returns to the storekeeper to compliment him on his delicious apple: "This is the juiciest apple I've ever tasted!".

My quick summary does not do this book justice. There are several little sub-plots in the illustrations, so you'll find yourself flipping back through the pages to see what's happening.

Read the full review (with illustrations) on Sparkling Adventures: http://www.sparklingadventures.com/index.php?id=888. ( )
  Abidjanaise | Apr 15, 2010 |

Introduces the characteristics of puppies in brief text and illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

Introduces the characteristics of puppies in brief text and illustrations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,856,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible