The Alchemy of Illness by Kat Duff

The Alchemy of Illness

by Kat Duff

Drawing on her own experience with CFIDS (chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome), the author of this collection of eight essays explores the mystery of human pain. "Illness is a familiar yet foreign landscape," she writes. "It remains a wilderness . . . despite its continuing presence in our lives." Duff spent "the better part of two years" in bed; during her sickness she read widely and voluminously, pursuing "the meaning and purposes of illness." ( )
  LTW | Sep 6, 2006 |

Illness is a universal experience. There is no privilege that can make us immune to its touch. We are taught to assume health, illnesses being just temporary breakdowns in the well-oiled machinery of the body. But illness has its own geography, its own laws and commandments. At a time when the attention of the whole nation is focused on health care, Kat Duff inquires into the nature and function of illness itself. Duff, a counselor in private practice in Taos, New Mexico, wrote this book out of her experience with chronic fatigue syndrome, but what she has to say is applicable to every illness and every one of us.

For those who are sick, this book offers solace and recognition. For those who care for them either physically or emotionally, it offers inspiration and compassion. Finally, this fresh perspective on healing reveals how every illness is a crucible that tries our mettle, tests our limits, and provides us with an unparalleled opportunity to integrate its lessons into our lives.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,402,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible