Time of Your Life (Buffy the Vampire Slayer,…

Time of Your Life (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, Vol. 4) (edition 2009)

by Joss Whedon, Jeff Loeb, Karl Moline (Illustrator), Eric Wight (Illustrator), Andy Owens (Illustrator)

Member:johnmiah
Title:Time of Your Life (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, Vol. 4)
Authors:Joss Whedon
Other authors:Jeff Loeb, Karl Moline (Illustrator), Eric Wight (Illustrator), Andy Owens (Illustrator)
Info:Dark Horse (2009), Paperback, 136 pages

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Time of Your Life by Joss Whedon

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus, Volume 1 by Joss Whedon (EmScape)
    EmScape: For those who enjoy graphic novels based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this is the definitive text.

I might have liked Time of Your Life a little better if I'd read Fray first. That whole storyline seemed confusing, then hand-wave-y, then rushed. Also I spent too many minutes trying to remember why I hated Kennedy so much. Maybe I should have rewatched season seven first, too.

I did enjoy the Big Reveal, though.

(four-and-a-half stars) ( )
  karinnekarinne | Apr 3, 2013 |
Time travel!! Dream sequence!! ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
The theme of the fourth installment is most definitely time travel. The main arc of this volume has Buffy traveling two hundred years into the future, traded for a demon by some mysterious force. She has to find her way back and decide what to make of her vision of the future. The last chapter in the volume is the equivalent of one of the silly episodes of Buffy; it does nothing to move the plot along, is largely inane, and good for a couple of laughs. In that one, Buffy, in more traditional comic book art style, travels back in time to good old Sunnydale, where she gets to spend a day being young and, relatively, carefree again.

Apparently, the even numbers in this series and I do not get along. This story was just really weird. Neither the for serious or the for fun time travel segment struck me as particularly interesting or necessary. I mean, the former did have a key plot point, but I don't know if it needed four whole chapters to be covered.

The future world was kind of annoying, as was the art style in the past. Speaking of the art, it really drives me a little bit crazy how inconsistent the characters seem to be. Sometimes they totally look like the actors on the show, but, other times, they really hardly bear a resemblance. I can deal with either of those, but both is a little rough.

The high point of this volume was definitely centaur Dawn, which may be funnier than giant Dawn. Although giant Dawn versus mecha Dawn in the streets of Tokyo is totally in the running for my favorite moment in the series. Here's hoping the next odd-numbered volume will be awesome! ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
I had a hard time following this one at times, but I enjoyed the Dark Willow plot. ( )
  alwright1 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This volume of Buffy Season 8 was quite confusing for me. First, there's a different penciller, so I had to figure out who everyone was all over again (he draws Dawn the best). Then, a lot of it took place in the future with Fray and it really wasn't explained very well. By the time I figured out what was going on, I was halfway through and had to go back and start over. Not that I minded, much, though, because I am just whipping through these and might prefer to savor them a bit. ( )
  EmScape | Jun 19, 2012 |

Joss Whedonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Loeb, JephAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moline, KarlIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jeanty, GeorgesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Owens, AndyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chen, JoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bad day. Started out bad, stayed that way.

Explores the complex relationships between fiercely independent Slayers and the dangerous people they keep closest to them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,012,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible