Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (114)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  English (124)
Kerstin Gier is a German author who wrote Ruby Red and sequels Sapphire Blue and Emerald Green in 2009/2010, which are now being released in the U.S.

Gwyneth comes from a family of time travelers. Certain females in her family are born with a time travel gene that allows them, with the help of a chronograph, to travel to specific places in time. Without the chronograph, they experience uncontrolled travel which could cause some risks - imagine being on the third floor of a building that didn’t exist 50 years ago. Gwyneth’s cousin, Charlotte, has this gene and has been preparing for her first travel for many years. However, Gwyneth is the one who travels through time and this causes a lot of issues for all parties involved - most notably, Gideon, the male time-traveler of her generation.

Ruby Red is a complex time-travel novel with a big appeal. It has a slow start where the reader waits for Gwen to travel the first time, and then waits for her to reveal her time travel to her family. Even though this part is a bit slow in pacing there are a number of humorous experiences that Gwen finds herself in that kept me enteretained. Once the story picks up it is fast (though not overwhelming) paced. We’re introduced to different time travelers, different times and a mysterious Count who seems very shady.

Gwen is a likeable character whose witty commentary allowed for much amusement. Gwen’s best friend - Leslie - is a clever girl who helps Gwen along the way, researching different aspects of time-travel. I found Gwen confiding in Leslie to be refreshing especially when many protagonists seem to distant themselves from their best friends when they are faced with a crisis, creating unnecessary angst. However, Gwen’s attitute towards Leslie seems more genuine and organic. They are best friends who are there for each other when they are in need. Of course, this could cause issues in the future, but I digress.

This book is not for the faint of heart, sure, it’s about time travel but it’s very layered. On top of the mystery of the missing chronograph, Gwen can also see ghosts - which I’m assuming will be used in the future books - and it seems as though someone doesn’t want Gwen and Gideon traveling back time. I loved the different aspects that were presented and am very curious to see how they will be resolved.

With a healthy balance of action, intrigue and romance, Ruby Red quickly became a new favourite.

[This is an ARC review]
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Short and Sweet: Time travel in london, awesome fashion and very interesting characters and plot.
This novel is about a girl named Gwyneth who discovers that she carries the time traveling gene. It was supposed to be her cousin Charlotte but one day she ends up in the past. From that day forward she is recruited to continue on an important mission. Along side Gideon she travels back in time and learns how to come to terms with this gift that she was never prepared for or wanted.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this novel. It was a little hard to get into at first, I just couldnt bring myself to like the main character, but with time I really started to get into the story. I really thought the plot was interesting. I love the different time periods. And of course the fashion. I like how she had to dress up every time she time traveled. Now, I thought the romantic relationship was a little rushed or almost nonexistent. But I understand that it really isnt the important thing in the book and th plot actually makes up for it. Anyways I give this a 4 out of 5 stars. And I will def read the rest of the series :) ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
This is book one of the Precious Stones trilogy. This is another book that I've had on my TBR foreverrrrrrr. I participated in a Secret Valentine book exchange and this is one of the books that my Secret Valentine sent me! I was super stoked since this book has such high ratings and a loyal fan base.

First let me say that I am a sucker for time travel books. I loooooove the idea of time and dimension travel, but generally books in this genre are either REALLY good or REALLY bad. Thankfully, Ruby Red falls into the really good category.

Gwyneth has grown up in the shadow of her cousin Charlotte who was born with a gene that allows her to travel in time. Charlotte's entire life has focused on training and preparing her for the moment the gene activates and she is able to begin travelling. Once this happens, she will be inducted into a secret society of people like her that possess the gene and have the ability to time travel. Gwyneth is just an average Jane in her family since she possess no special genetic quality. She goes to high school and watches films with her best friend and generally just flies under the radar of everyone. BUT! To everyone's surprise, Gwyneth turns out to be the one born with the gene after she accidently falls back into time. Because she hasn't been prepared for this at ALL, she gets the reader's digest version of time travel from the secret society ASAP. Everyone gives her and her mum (who actually knew it was a possibility that she could possess the gene but kept it a secret) the side eye because they think Gwyneth and her mum have some sort of agenda. The story follows Gwyneth and her time traveling partner Gideon as they navigate their way through time all while trying to accomplish this super secret objective of this super secret society.

I really enjoyed this book. I loved how well thought out the time traveling was. For example, the secret society has a seamstress that makes period correct clothing for the time travelers so that they blend in when they pop up in these different eras. Even when the characters look ridiculous in the clothes, she harps on them that what they are doing isn't a beauty contest, it is for authenticity! How cool is that? There are just a lot of little details and extras that are spread about through the book that really takes it to the next level of awesome.

There are a few pretty big plot twists, including one major one that is IMPLIED at the end. I don't even know for sure about it because this huge thing gets implied in the epilogue and then the book ends! I am fighting everything inside of me not to run out and buy books two and three RIGHTTHISSECOND because I need to know what is going to happen!

All in all, the book is very well thought out and the story and characters build and develop really well. I really, really enjoyed it and plan on continuing the series ASAP. I definitely understand why there is such a big hype surrounding the series.

5/5 stars

FULL REVIEW AND MORE:
http://southernbredsouthernread.blogspot.com/2015/04/ruby-red-by-kerstin-gier.ht... ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
YAY! People who time-travel who aren't prepped within an inch of their lives for it! My kind of girl- I really like Gwen a *lot* and can't wait to see how she fits in with her Aunt's prophetic waking dreams. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
I really give this book 3 1/2 stars. I enjoy the characters and the plot of the story I just feel like the wasn't very much that happened in this book, I was waiting for and kept feeling like it was leading up to something really big. I will continue with the series to see how it ends. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lemaire, NellyTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elk, Dolphin, and Owl, who kept me company while I was writing, and for a little red double-decker bus that made me happy at just the right moment.
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible