Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

1,0111028,435 (4)75
Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (92)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (102)
Rouge Rubis #1 4.5 STARS

J'ai vraiment adoré ce livre, plein de mystère et de premesse
Ca donne une sensation de voyager dans le temps et decouverire plein secrets
J'admire cette auteurs pour le travail qu'elle a acomplis

Bravo Mrs.Kristen Gier! ( )
  Leila.Khouane | Dec 30, 2014 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
3.5 stars
I enjoyed this book, and can't wait to read the rest of the series! The fashions described in this book were heavenly, with every new gown designed for the main character I wanted to jump into the book and wear it myself!

The reason that I only gave this book 3.5 stars is because it was hard for me to get into the story at the beginning, and it took a long time to get to the main part of the plot.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the "insta-love" between Gwendolyn and Gideon it seemed like a light switch was flipped and they went from hating each other to being together.

That being said, this was a good fluff book to read while on break. ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Dec 23, 2014 |
Lovely!
Gwen is a likeable and interesting character and I was eager to find out what was going to happen to her.
The time travel aspect was handled really well, especially when you consider just how difficult it is to write convincingly!

I really hope that one day my German is good enough to read the original; I've always thought that you lose a little of the magic when you translate a book. ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 7, 2014 |
Originally Published On My Review Blog http://www.thebookavid.blogspot.com

In "Ruby Red" by Kerstin Gier, 16-year-old Gwendolyn Shepherd discovers that she can travel in time. Together with Gideon, another shockingly good-looking time traveller, they monkey about in 18th century Europe and stumble into a very complicated feud that I'm pretty sure nobody will quite get until the second sequel.

I'm just going to say it - I'm a massive sucker for time travel. Everything related to that, movies, tv shows, books, I'm all for it. So it was just a question of where and when I'd start this one. Also it's written by another fellow german author, so yay for that! When writing about time travel authors usually make the mistake of making everything so complicated that your head hurts after about twenty seconds of trying to make a sense out of it.

Inbetween chapters Gier tries to make it easier for the readers by inserting diagrams that show the family relations - but let's face it, if you need that kind of stuff, you clearly should invest more into explaining who the hell your characters actually are. Also, yeah - if you're going to use a complicated diagram with lots of latin words in it that nobody fricking understands unless they've done massive research like you, the author, - explain that stuff. Gier just slams those things into our faces, along with pseudo-deep Shakespeare quotes (who were probably just dick puns, I mean we all know the good old Bill). (Writing 3/5)

Still, Gier had me from the first second on. Gwendolyn, the main character is not only a time-traveller, but can also see ghosts. Why the hell she keeps seeing neat gargoyle demons instead of rape victims or dead dudes with missing limbs, who knows? The thing I like about Gwen is that she's a typical 16-year-old. She's a bit shallow ("omg look my time-travelling partner is hot but has a horrible personality! ... he likes me? Well then holler, let's make out!!"), doesn't overthink stuff and basically has a lot to learn. I like that. I also like that she has the memory of a goldfish. Definitely no Mary Sue, definitely not a grown up. Yeah, I feel like I should give credit for that because some authors don't even get the basics in YA right. Sadly.

Gideon on the other hand, her extremely handsome companion with the impossibly green eyes and sexy romance-novel-cover-flowy-hair is just not for me. To me, they had absolutely no chemistry and I can not understand why anyone would like this dude. He's not only a cocky know-it-all, but also all over everything that moves. Also it's a bad case of insta-love in here and the second I notice that, I'm completely leaving the harbor, no shipping involved. Aside from the protagonists I think that Gier did a fantastic job with the side characters. I can't wait to find out more about James the Ghost, of course Saint Germain and Lucy Montrose + Paul De Villiers. They're all intriguing characters and I like how every single character in this novel has a backstory. (Dr. White and his deceased relative for example, what a cute little side plot). It all makes the novel very vivid and seem real, and I'm always a fan of stories that aren't exactly main-plot-driven. (Characters 4/5)

Like I said, I may be a sucker for time travel, but the headache factor in this novel is just too goddamn high. The scene in the beginning where Gwendolyn encounters her future self isn't even in the first bok and I can already guarantee you guys, that I will have forgotten it when it's finally taking place. Also, how did she not think about the fact that her future self kissed the hot dude she's all over? Man, I would have at least thought about that one once, like come on! Seems like a case of "the editor told me to do this", because there's absolutely not relation to the main plot. In general I think that the novel could have used a bit of cutting. It's a very long read compared to how long it takes to actually get going.

There were a few chapters, especially the random stuff taking place in schoool with her best friend Leslie, that I just didn't care the slightest about. I would have rather had more plot and a more concluding ending than just ...?? Did anyone understand the ending? I think it's pretty obvious who the mysterious "he" and "she" from the prologue and epilogue are so there's no question in that. Just, how can you end a novel like this? Might as well end it mid-sentence. Absolutely no continuity and as a reader I feel forced to buy the second one because the first one just seems like an actual part one of a book that should be sold in whole. Ugh. (Plot 2/5)

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Overall: Do I Recommend?

While I really had a fun time reading this, there were a few slumps. The contuinity is a bit off and as a whole the novel doesn't really make much sense. I'm going to have to buy the second and possibly also third one to even understand what the hell is going on and that's just a big no-no. If you just want to try out a series and see if you like it, this one is just no good, because you're forced to continue. Don't force me to do anything. I read for enjoyment. So no, if you have too much money, read it. If you're looking for a simple read, stay away from this. ( )
  bookavid | Nov 26, 2014 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elk, Dolphin, and Owl, who kept me company while I was writing, and for a little red double-decker bus that made me happy at just the right moment.
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,796,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible