Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

838None10,710 (4)43
Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

2011 (14) 2012 (9) 2013 (10) adventure (10) ebook (12) England (20) family (16) fantasy (72) fiction (31) German (12) ghosts (6) historical fiction (6) history (7) humor (7) Jugendbuch (6) London (30) love (23) mystery (7) read (6) read in 2011 (6) romance (33) science fiction (18) secret societies (24) series (9) teen (13) time travel (119) to-read (44) YA (52) young adult (51) young adult literature (6)

English (79)  German (6)  Italian (3)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (90)
Loved the book. I look forward to finishing the series. Well written keeps your intrested many twist and turns. Gwyneth is your typical teenager until she finds out her birthday is one day earlier and she has the traveling gene. Gideon and Gweyneth must travel to the past to help close the circle of blood. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 29, 2014 |
This is a fun departure from the current YA novels floating around out there. Gwyneth is leading the typical teenage life, well other than waiting for her cousin to suddenly disappear on her first uncontrolled time travel adventure. Her cousin has been trained her entire life on anything and everything that will assist her in her time travels. Surprisingly, Gwyneth is the one who has inherited the time travel gene, not her cousin and she is completely unprepared for the new direction her life is taking.

Adventure, fantasy, mystery and a little romance all tucked into one fun teen novel. I can't wait for the next in the trilogy (yep, it's another trilogy). ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 20, 2014 |
From the publisher:
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon—the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

My thoughts:
This book started out slowly. I was intrigued by the idea of time travelers, as I so often am, so I picked this book up from the young adult section. Contrary to what I'd read in a few reviews I found Gwyneth to be an interesting main character and narrator of the story. She acted as a high-school aged teen girl should act when thrust into the situations she encountered. Despite the fact that it was mentioned in several reviews I did not get the feeling that Gier was evoking insta-love between Gwyneth and Gideon. High-school-aged girls do tend to "fall in love" with anyone who is handsome and I thought Gier evoked that tendency with a bit of irony when describing how all the girls in the school were in love with the teacher and before that the Gordon kid.

The good:
Time travel is fun. It always is, no matter how badly time travel philosophical theory is integrated into the story or how badly it is explained. Gwyneth was an enjoyable heroine. She wasn't flawless like her cousin Charlotte and that helps the reader get a sense of who she is and allows them to relate to her. The most likable part of the book was the relationship between Gwyneth and her best friend Leslie.

The bad:
Gier has a lot of things, for lack of a better word, going on in this novel. I know its the first of a trilogy. In fact, the remaining two books are sitting next to me waiting to be read. However, Gier seems to have a few too many "mysteries" and questions going on. That bothers me. As a reader I don't like waiting through three books to have my questions, and in this case, the main character's questions answered. I get antsy and wish to skip ahead to find out if my questions are answered at all. I do not enjoy books that do this to me. Finally, the time travel. It was not explained very well. The characters use a "chronograph" to travel in time, okay sure. But there is mention of the "continuum" and time travel rules and none of these are ever explained either to Gwyneth or to the reader. Yet Gwyneth accepts all this.

I would recommend this book to fans of light romance with a tiny twist of fantasy who wont be bothered or concerned with the lack of answers or explanations for their many questions. ( )
  LisaBost | Feb 19, 2014 |
This young adult novel is about a girl who discovers she has a time-travel gene, and it is a sort of coming of age book as Gwyneth (the heroine) learns more about who she is and discovering her purpose. There is a lot of history and mystery about the details surrounding her family and why her mother lied about her birthday to "protect" her from being known as the child with the gene. The time travel part is written in a very non-sci-fi sort of way, so I thought it was handled well.

I really wanted to like this book. In fact, I did enjoy reading it. I liked the characters a lot. Especially the ghosts, who Gwyneth can see but others can't. The whole book just felt like a long intro, though, and I never felt like I got "into" the story. I kept waiting. The further and further I got, I'd think, "Ah, here we're going to find out so-and-so" but it never happened. The "romance" seemed a bit forced too, like it came out of nowhere right at the end. Well, maybe not nowhere, but it definitely sped way up from the little bits that led up to it. I don't know if that's maybe because some of the book was lost in translation, or if that's just how it was.

So, again, I'm finding that I don't like the whole "trilogy" format to book writing. I must, of course, now read the other two books immediately, and I have a long list of books I already would like to read, so these are going to throw me off. I gave the book 3.5 out of 5 stars, just because on its own, it's not very good. It just stops in the middle of the story. If I'm at least going to read a trilogy (or longer series), I at least would like each book to have some kind of mini-resolution, even if there is a longer storyline carried through the books. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |

Interesting idea, rather sloppy execution.

I couldn't connect with Gwenyth much(especially in the beginning) but she improved as we jumped about in time. It felt like most of the characters were talking over her, so neither she nor the readers got a clear idea of what was going on. Gideon is rather annoying. The insta-love is not cute. I wish Kerstin Gier hadn't done that.

And the ending is rather abrupt. With nothing telling us anything about what lies in store. The time when Gwenyth saw herself kissing Gideon. The thing with Paul and Lucy. Why does her mother seem to think no one should know anything, including Gwenyth ? Saint-Germaine wasn't awe inspiring. I'm afraid I was expecting Vlad the Impaler levels of awesomeness. It was just rather annoying. And Gwenyth being Paul and Lucy's kid rather than a Shepherd. Um, duh. Got it when they kept insisting that every other kid was a redhead. It feels like we got some hints about an excellent storyline and then, nothing. Rather disappointing.

P.S - of course, I'll check out book two. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible