Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

1,0451038,062 (4)79
Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (93)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (103)
First book in the Ruby Red trilogy

All her life, sixteen-year-old Gwen has believed that her cousin Charlotte is destined for greatness, while she is fated to live an ordinary life. That’s how their family raised them. As the inheritor of the time travel gene, Charlotte has been trained since birth so that she can pass undetected through the past. But when a dizzy spell sends Gwen jumping through time, a secret society for time travelers scrambles to prepare her for her role as the Ruby. Her reluctant assistant is the mysterious Gideon, a young man who spent his entire childhood preparing alongside Charlotte. The more Gwen learns about her abilities and her fellow time travelers, the more questions she has about the secret society and the decisions made in the past.

Ruby Red is a German young adult series, translated by Anthea Bell into English. It’s a fun adventure romp that neatly manages many YA tropes: an ordinary girl who discovers she’s actually super-special, a brooding hero whose initial dislike of the heroine turns to love by the end of the first volume, fancy dresses, and a gal pal to giggle and gossip with. The time travel and the secret society are explained very thoroughly and help to distinguish the story from other YA novels.

Gwen is a fun narrator because she’s such a believable teenager. She is a bit flighty and not terribly bright, and she’s quick to fall into a new crush. Her ordinariness contrasts sharply with the destiny assigned her, and her attempts to adapt to her new life are entertaining because she is often so giggling and cavalier about it. She’s a bit silly, but the story needs that humor because everyone else tends to be so serious.

Although the fact that she can see ghosts and has underdeveloped psychic powers…well, I’m curious to see where that’s going.

One of the things I don’t like about the book is that it really doesn’t stand on its own. Most of the book seems devoted to setting the stage for a big, grand adventure, but that never comes. Gwen has a couple of exploratory trips into the past, but certain scenes from the beginning of the book hint at something huge that never comes. When the book ends on a cliffhanger, it’s a little frustrating because nothing much has happened yet. But irritated as I am by this fact, I also want to hurry up and find the next volume of the series so I find out what happens next, so perhaps Gier picked a winning strategy by cutting things off before the going got good. ( )
  makaiju | Mar 28, 2015 |
Rouge Rubis #1 4.5 STARS

J'ai vraiment adoré ce livre, plein de mystère et de premesse
Ca donne une sensation de voyager dans le temps et decouverire plein secrets
J'admire cette auteurs pour le travail qu'elle a acomplis

Bravo Mrs.Kristen Gier! ( )
  Leila.Khouane | Dec 30, 2014 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
3.5 stars
I enjoyed this book, and can't wait to read the rest of the series! The fashions described in this book were heavenly, with every new gown designed for the main character I wanted to jump into the book and wear it myself!

The reason that I only gave this book 3.5 stars is because it was hard for me to get into the story at the beginning, and it took a long time to get to the main part of the plot.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the "insta-love" between Gwendolyn and Gideon it seemed like a light switch was flipped and they went from hating each other to being together.

That being said, this was a good fluff book to read while on break. ( )
  hawaiianmermaid701 | Dec 23, 2014 |
Lovely!
Gwen is a likeable and interesting character and I was eager to find out what was going to happen to her.
The time travel aspect was handled really well, especially when you consider just how difficult it is to write convincingly!

I really hope that one day my German is good enough to read the original; I've always thought that you lose a little of the magic when you translate a book. ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 7, 2014 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elk, Dolphin, and Owl, who kept me company while I was writing, and for a little red double-decker bus that made me happy at just the right moment.
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,725,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible