Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (99)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (109)
Time travel! But it is mostly uncontrolled, except by use of a device, controlled by a mysterious sect of guardians. Gene related, but only after being activated around 17 years old. Family conflict between sisters and confusion between their daughters, cousins, causing issues. Romance involved. A lot of fun elements that the author uses to weave a pleasant tale. First of a trilogy that I want to finish. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Short Review:

I always like time traveling books, especially when cute clothes are involved!

The MC is supposed to be 16 but i felt like she was written as 14, so that was a bit sad.

The family trees/ties were a bit confusing, i read this as an e-book so the charts were hard to read.

I have a lot of unanswered questions, hopefully book 2 answers them! ( )
  booklife4life | Jul 3, 2015 |
Ruby Red is the first book in the Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier.
This book talks about Gwyneth Sheperd a common girl from London that always has been put aside by the major part of her family, since her sophisticated cousin Charlotte has been training to travel trough time her whole life.
Surprisingly is Gwyneth who turns out with the ability to travel trough time, discovering the lies around her birth, the story of the world and her new time-travelling partner, Gideon, Gwyneth has to rise to the ocasion and surpass everyones expectations.
In a wonderfully well written book, Kesrtin Gier takes trough a time travelling adventure in which we can admire the cultural differences between centuries and how it would be for us (21st century humans) to adapt to the centuries that took place before ours, providing a realistic view on the technological evolution.
Gwyneth is one of the best characters that I've ever read about because she's simple but, at the same time, she's really complex, also being a passionate and intelligent young woman.
This story is very light, happy and has plenty humour in it, if you read it be atemptive at the GwynethGideon dialogues, it's the perfect book to read while on a tight schedule!
I recommend this book to everyone who has a soft spot for time-travelling and to everyone else, because this work of fiction is truly remarkable.

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elk, Dolphin, and Owl, who kept me company while I was writing, and for a little red double-decker bus that made me happy at just the right moment.
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,381,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible