Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (107)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (117)
Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-traveling gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover who they can trust. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I actually started this book last April, but didn't get far before putting it down. It came up in another challenge this month so I decided to give it another try. I started over and it was like reading a different book altogether. It just goes to show that giving a slow starting book a second chance can really pay off.

This turned out to be a fun adventure with lots of mystery surrounding our main heroine, Gwyneth. She comes from a family with the ability to time travel...a family that has been keeping secrets...and now Gwyneth's life is about to change in ways she never imagined. I really enjoyed Gwyneth's personality. She was quirky, witty, and brightened the pages with her silly inner thoughts when she was nervous.

There are unanswered questions, so I'll be moving to the next book very soon. I'm curious to see where the author takes the characters!

Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
This book turned out to be quite an entertaining little time travel story. Light, humorous and easy to read, the reader is given glimpses of London during previous times. Although there didn't seem to be much happening at times, I was surprised how quickly I finished it. Gwyenth is an endearing protagonist, unlike most of her stuffy family, who has lived in the shadow of her cousin, Charlotte. I also liked Great Aunt Maddy and Mr George who were both rather eccentric and kind-hearted towrads Gwyenth. The book ended quickly with an intriguing epilogue, leaving the reader wanting more. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Mar 6, 2016 |
(First of 3: Ruby Red trilogy. Fantasy, YA) (Re-read)

I re-read this before I continue on with Sapphire Blue, the next in the series. I realised I hadn't finished my review last time to post it. This is what I wrote:

'I really enjoyed this story, possibly because it was reminiscent of the books I used to read as a teenager, with its very English flavour (though the original was written in German and translated into English by Anthea Bell (mother of BBC's Martin Bell)). In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I think I may buy the whole series. I seem to be a sucker for LT recommended YA trilogies coloured (individually) red, blue and green and written by authors named a variant of Kirstin. (I also went out and bought the Graceling trilogy after borrowing the first one from the library.) :0)

The story is told from the point of view of Gwynneth. she has always been overshadowed by her perfect cousin Charlotte (not to be confused with her sister Caroline), who has inherited a time travelling gene. Charlotte has been trained all her life in the 'mysteries' and now she is the right age, the family is anticipating her first jump. But it is Gwynneth who unexpectedly time travels and who turns out to be the last prophesied gene carrier, and now she is thrust unprepared into the 'mysteries' that her mother was hoping to protect her from.'

I still enjoyed the story on this re-read, though of course without being quite so much on tenter hooks. I like the way Gier / Bell have captured the flavour of being a teenager, and of being in London.Of course, being a time travelling story, it covers London in different time periods. I can't claim personal experience there, but it does convey the differences from present-day London (the fashions, the smells, the traffic)(coach traffic is different from car traffic). All in all, an excellent book; a little adventure, a little fantasy, a little humour, a little romance, and all well written.

Apparently I was undecided between a 4.5 star rating and a 5 (and still am this time around) but I finally decided on a 5, so I'll go with my first decision.

5 star

Oh, and Gwynneth (almost) shares my birthday. So does Kerstin Gier (a surprisingly rare occurrence). Definitely a 5 star then. ( )
  humouress | Feb 22, 2016 |
Good teen time travel adventure story. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lemaire, NellyTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elk, Dolphin, and Owl, who kept me company while I was writing, and for a little red double-decker bus that made me happy at just the right moment.
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,840,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible