Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (97)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (107)
Ruby Red is the first book in the Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier.
This book talks about Gwyneth Sheperd a common girl from London that always has been put aside by the major part of her family, since her sophisticated cousin Charlotte has been training to travel trough time her whole life.
Surprisingly is Gwyneth who turns out with the ability to travel trough time, discovering the lies around her birth, the story of the world and her new time-travelling partner, Gideon, Gwyneth has to rise to the ocasion and surpass everyones expectations.
In a wonderfully well written book, Kesrtin Gier takes trough a time travelling adventure in which we can admire the cultural differences between centuries and how it would be for us (21st century humans) to adapt to the centuries that took place before ours, providing a realistic view on the technological evolution.
Gwyneth is one of the best characters that I've ever read about because she's simple but, at the same time, she's really complex, also being a passionate and intelligent young woman.
This story is very light, happy and has plenty humour in it, if you read it be atemptive at the GwynethGideon dialogues, it's the perfect book to read while on a tight schedule!
I recommend this book to everyone who has a soft spot for time-travelling and to everyone else, because this work of fiction is truly remarkable.

anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |
Well worth the read. I couldn't put the book down. As soon as I finished the "Ruby Red" I went to buy the next book instantly. ( )
  DaffiMere | May 12, 2015 |
First book in the Ruby Red trilogy

All her life, sixteen-year-old Gwen has believed that her cousin Charlotte is destined for greatness, while she is fated to live an ordinary life. That’s how their family raised them. As the inheritor of the time travel gene, Charlotte has been trained since birth so that she can pass undetected through the past. But when a dizzy spell sends Gwen jumping through time, a secret society for time travelers scrambles to prepare her for her role as the Ruby. Her reluctant assistant is the mysterious Gideon, a young man who spent his entire childhood preparing alongside Charlotte. The more Gwen learns about her abilities and her fellow time travelers, the more questions she has about the secret society and the decisions made in the past.

Ruby Red is a German young adult series, translated by Anthea Bell into English. It’s a fun adventure romp that neatly manages many YA tropes: an ordinary girl who discovers she’s actually super-special, a brooding hero whose initial dislike of the heroine turns to love by the end of the first volume, fancy dresses, and a gal pal to giggle and gossip with. The time travel and the secret society are explained very thoroughly and help to distinguish the story from other YA novels.

Gwen is a fun narrator because she’s such a believable teenager. She is a bit flighty and not terribly bright, and she’s quick to fall into a new crush. Her ordinariness contrasts sharply with the destiny assigned her, and her attempts to adapt to her new life are entertaining because she is often so giggling and cavalier about it. She’s a bit silly, but the story needs that humor because everyone else tends to be so serious.

Although the fact that she can see ghosts and has underdeveloped psychic powers…well, I’m curious to see where that’s going.

One of the things I don’t like about the book is that it really doesn’t stand on its own. Most of the book seems devoted to setting the stage for a big, grand adventure, but that never comes. Gwen has a couple of exploratory trips into the past, but certain scenes from the beginning of the book hint at something huge that never comes. When the book ends on a cliffhanger, it’s a little frustrating because nothing much has happened yet. But irritated as I am by this fact, I also want to hurry up and find the next volume of the series so I find out what happens next, so perhaps Gier picked a winning strategy by cutting things off before the going got good. ( )
  makaiju | Mar 28, 2015 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elk, Dolphin, and Owl, who kept me company while I was writing, and for a little red double-decker bus that made me happy at just the right moment.
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,313,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible