Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

1,1191137,372 (4)83
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (101)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (111)
Scritto molto bene con una storia accattivante. ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
Started August 2nd, 2013. In German, as that is my first language and the language in which the author wrote the book.
As I have the Blu-ray of the film on order, I wanted to read the book (or maybe the whole series) first.
Not bad, but unexpectedly short.
Took too long till the action started and the female heroine felt younger in the beginning, I would have guessed 14, and was surprised that she was supposed to be 16. At least she made her own decision to fight instead of waiting for the fight to end (but even that she could have done easily being 12 or 14).
So far not bad, 3 stars, hoping the following [b:Saphirblau|6919272|Saphirblau (Edelstein Trilogie, #2)|Kerstin Gier|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327251290s/6919272.jpg|7146989] will be better. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
I have a love/hate relationship sci-fi/fantasy that centers on time travel. I love Connie Willis's stories enough that I'm willing to suspend my inner skeptic and just enjoy the time travel journeys with her characters.

I enjoyed this story well enough, but I kept butting up against some time travel inconsistencies that kind of spoiled the plot for me a little bit. I'm going to try and explain them as vaguely as possible, to avoid spoilers.

For example, if people from the present go into the past and tell the "past" people about some of the things coming up in their future, why don't they tell them about other things? For that matter, why hasn't someone from the future already gone as far back in the past as possible to tell the first of the "twelve" the names of all the others and who's going to rebel and so on? Why on earth would certain travelers need to be present at a person's birth to know her name, given that other travelers from a more recent time period could've just told them the name?

I understand why these bits of info had to be revealed the way they were in terms of their storytelling purpose (of creating a mystery), but I got thrown out of the story and into "but wait a sec...." moments too often.

That being said, I will likely listen to the next book in the series, esp. if I can get it through my Scribd subscription (rather than buying it on Audible). ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
This does tread some well-worn paths, this time it features Count Saint-Germain, about whom there is not much known, he is one of those people about whom a lot is written and supposed. In this he is a pivotal character in some families of time-travellers, who act in matched pairs over the centuries. In this generation it was supposed to be Charlotte, but it turns out that it's Gwyneth, who, apart from talking to ghosts, is a fairly normal ordinary girl, she is now caught up with this strange world she's ill-prepared for and people aren't telling her much about what's going on.

It's a fairly well-trodden path for most of it but the last chapter made me want to read more. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 8, 2015 |
Time travel! But it is mostly uncontrolled, except by use of a device, controlled by a mysterious sect of guardians. Gene related, but only after being activated around 17 years old. Family conflict between sisters and confusion between their daughters, cousins, causing issues. Romance involved. A lot of fun elements that the author uses to weave a pleasant tale. First of a trilogy that I want to finish. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elk, Dolphin, and Owl, who kept me company while I was writing, and for a little red double-decker bus that made me happy at just the right moment.
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

113 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,912,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible