Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

923979,474 (4)63
Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (86)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (96)
Gwyneth Shepherd is an ordinary teenage girl born into an extraordinary family. Her cousin, Charlotte, has presumably inherited a gene that allows her to travel in time, and everyone is waiting for the "gift" to present itself. Gwen is just happy that she's not the one who inherited the gene...that is, until she finds herself traveling back in time. Come to find out that Gwen, and not Charlotte, is the one who has the gene. Now Gwen finds herself thrust into a world for which she's ill-prepared.

I mostly picked up this book because it seems that everyone who reads YA is talking about how awesome this book is. And I really did like the book. I enjoyed the time travel aspect, and the secret society of the Guardians, and the fact that Gwen is almost overwhelmed by the fact that she is the one who has inherited the gene and she is in no way prepared for this. Charlotte has been training all of her life to travel back in time - learning different languages, studying history, etc - while Gwen is just a normal teenager. (Except for the fact that Gwen sees, and can communicate with, ghosts and demons and other creatures.)

But...

I just wasn't in love with this book. I felt that the "relationship" between Gwen and Gideon is going way too fast. She's known him for about 48 hours in the book, maybe a little more, and already people are saying that she's "in love" with him. Heck, when Gideon kissed her at the end of the book, I was wondering where in the heck that came from, because for most of the book he was a jerk to her. Why are all of the "heroes" in YA so jerky for much of the time? It's driving me crazy. I need to either read some adult fiction or some non-fiction to wipe my reading palate from the bad taste all of this YA is leaving in my mouth, haha.

I think this book would probably be good for those who are younger - maybe around the ages of 12 to 16 - but as a 34 year old adult, it just didn't really appeal to me. Gwen feels much younger than 16 to me, and I'm tired of the instalove that is found so often in YA.

I will read the rest of the series, but I think I need to read some adult fiction first.
  schatzi | Aug 24, 2014 |
Fun time travel novel. Looking forward to the others. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Beautiful and enchanting, though I felt like, if this book could be said to have a climax, it didn't come until the end or the epilogue; it very much felt like the first part of a great story. ( )
  LaPhenix | Aug 10, 2014 |
Oh. My. Word. WHAT KIND OF ENDING IS THAT?

This time-travel thing was so interesting that I want to go back in time myself. The moment I could get a hang about everything, it was all very fascinating. The plot, the characters, those are all very lovable and while you're reading, you can see yourself being very much into the story.

The things I loved about the book:

> I love Gwyneth! She is so hilarious and I don't know how many times I have to stop myself from laughing so hard. I also loved her bestfriend, Lesley. She's such a great sidekick. And she's kind of funny, too. No. She is funny and they're like totally meant to be bestfriends.

> At first, I'm a bit not okay with Gideon. I mean he's acting so mean and being a jerk. But then, I don't know. He became okay. But I'm still looking forward to see him become something more than that. Ha. He have to redeem himself first.

>The ending is so cute. Ugh. I'm having butterflies in my stomach. Yeah yeah. I'm a romantic I don't care. But.. They're... They're just so CUTE!! I mean I ship them together. Obviously that's because there's no other hero. At least there's no insta-love.

>The epilogue, it is very confusing. That's Lucy and Paul, right? Does it mean that they have been in the present two months ago? It looks like they're the good guys and the Count is planning something evil. The author is evil for leaving everything that way.

I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Oh. My. Word. WHAT KIND OF ENDING IS THAT?

The things I loved about the book:

I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gier, Kerstinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible