Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

8789110,093 (4)51
Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

2011 (14) 2012 (9) 2013 (11) adventure (11) audiobook (6) ebook (12) England (20) family (16) fantasy (74) fiction (31) German (14) historical fiction (7) history (8) humor (8) Jugendbuch (6) London (32) love (24) mystery (8) read (7) read in 2011 (6) romance (36) science fiction (18) secret societies (24) series (10) teen (13) time travel (121) to-read (64) YA (55) young adult (54) young adult literature (6)

English (81)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (91)
I had heard some things about the book so I gave it a try. I thought the weirdness of the time traveling gene skipping generations and everything being based upon the day was a bit lame. But even so I liked it and I will more than likely read the next one when it comes out later this year.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Ruby Red was a fun time travel book with quite a bit of heart behind it. I enjoyed reading about Gwen’s time travel adventures as her family comes to realize that Gwyneth is the time traveler they have all been waiting for, instead of Gwen’s cousin Charlotte. And with Gwen’s discovery of who she is comes quite a bit of danger and excitement. Or, in other words, everything I love in a book.

I think the thing that impressed me most about Ruby Red was how well the time travel was explained. I love time travel stories, so it can be quite frustrating when one doesn’t really bother to explain how time travel works in that particular world and just waves it all away. Not so in Ruby Red. There’s a quite complicated timeline, extra special powers as well as time travel, and well-kept record books that really help build the time traveling world. The rules of time travel in Ruby Red have clear rules: you can’t travel without your own lifetime, you can’t go to the future, etc, and they’re all explained reasonably well.
I really enjoyed Gwen as the central character. She’s fun, humorous, and adventurous, though understandably nervous when her time traveling starts . She’s a time traveler because of genetics, and she has to deal with the hand that’s been given to her. And then we learn all about these extra abilities on top of time travel that certain people have–telekinesis, seeing ghost, etc. AND throw in a secret society? I’m sold.

That being said, as fun and adventurous as Ruby Red was, it wasn’t without flaws. Now, Ruby Red was originally written in German and later translated into English, so I have no idea if my complaints are with Gier’s writing or with the translator, but either way, it did distract from the story. First, I thought the story read much younger than the character’s ages. At times it seemed a bit juvenile, more on the verge of upper middle grade than young adult, though I think that part got better as the book went along. Also, some of the writing was just awkward, which I’m assuming was the result of the translation.

However, my biggest complaint is I didn’t really feel this book had a story arc of it’s own. I really did feel it was just setting the stage for the adventure to come later. And as much as I’m looking forward to that adventure, as a reader, I really could have used more in this book. For the first half, all that happens in Gwen goes to school and realizes she’s the time traveler in the family. The second half picked up with some adventures, but it didn’t really feel like a complete story to me.

Final Impression: I enjoyed Ruby Red as a fun time-travel adventure story. I thought the way time travel was explained in this book was well done and I really loved the characters. Some of the sentences were awkward, whether from the original writing or from the translation, but it was still enjoyable. However, my biggest complaint is that this book really only feels like the beginning of the story, and doesn’t feel like a book in it’s own right. However, I’m excited to read the next book in this trilogy. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I usually despise books which can't stand alone without the rest of their series to prop them up, and Ruby Red is not a stand alone book. There is no arc that resolves, in fact, it so obviously cannot stand alone that I'm not sure it isn't actually the first half (or third) of a much longer book. This impression is exacerbated by the fact in the interview* with the author at the end of my copy of the book Ms. Gier names as her favourite character one we haven't been introduced to and the scene she says is her favourite is one which hasn't occurred. I made this face as I read that and then stopped reading the interview --> :-/

However.

That being said, this is the first time I can think of that despite the fact this title doesn't stand on its own outside the series I am going to pick up the second book and keep reading. I found the writing style engaging, the main character intriguing and fun and I'm curious to know what happens next. I've decided to pretend that, as I mentioned earlier, this entire series is actually one title that has been split into multiple books. That will help me get over my bias and pet peeve. I am confident the story will be worth it, so far it's kept me turning the pages and completely engaged.

*Full disclosure, when I realised the author was talking about characters and scenes I didn't recognise I stopped reading her answer to the interview question to avoid spoilers. It is possible (though obviously not probable) that she ended each answer with 'Just kidding! That totally didn't happen, I was just checking to see if you were paying attention' but I kinda doubt it ;)

RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |
Loved the book. I look forward to finishing the series. Well written keeps your intrested many twist and turns. Gwyneth is your typical teenager until she finds out her birthday is one day earlier and she has the traveling gene. Gideon and Gweyneth must travel to the past to help close the circle of blood. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 29, 2014 |
This is a fun departure from the current YA novels floating around out there. Gwyneth is leading the typical teenage life, well other than waiting for her cousin to suddenly disappear on her first uncontrolled time travel adventure. Her cousin has been trained her entire life on anything and everything that will assist her in her time travels. Surprisingly, Gwyneth is the one who has inherited the time travel gene, not her cousin and she is completely unprepared for the new direction her life is taking.

Adventure, fantasy, mystery and a little romance all tucked into one fun teen novel. I can't wait for the next in the trilogy (yep, it's another trilogy). ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 20, 2014 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible