Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) by Kerstin…

Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

954999,097 (4)67
Member:readr
Title:Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011 Honorable Mention
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, time travel, mystery, adventure, romance teen

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

Recently added byliterary.feline, calumoth, May48, TheDivineOomba, Gorthalon, private library, Pigletto, Inguling

English (89)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (99)
Lovely!
Gwen is a likeable and interesting character and I was eager to find out what was going to happen to her.
The time travel aspect was handled really well, especially when you consider just how difficult it is to write convincingly!

I really hope that one day my German is good enough to read the original; I've always thought that you lose a little of the magic when you translate a book. ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 7, 2014 |
Originally Published On My Review Blog http://www.thebookavid.blogspot.com

In "Ruby Red" by Kerstin Gier, 16-year-old Gwendolyn Shepherd discovers that she can travel in time. Together with Gideon, another shockingly good-looking time traveller, they monkey about in 18th century Europe and stumble into a very complicated feud that I'm pretty sure nobody will quite get until the second sequel.

I'm just going to say it - I'm a massive sucker for time travel. Everything related to that, movies, tv shows, books, I'm all for it. So it was just a question of where and when I'd start this one. Also it's written by another fellow german author, so yay for that! When writing about time travel authors usually make the mistake of making everything so complicated that your head hurts after about twenty seconds of trying to make a sense out of it.

Inbetween chapters Gier tries to make it easier for the readers by inserting diagrams that show the family relations - but let's face it, if you need that kind of stuff, you clearly should invest more into explaining who the hell your characters actually are. Also, yeah - if you're going to use a complicated diagram with lots of latin words in it that nobody fricking understands unless they've done massive research like you, the author, - explain that stuff. Gier just slams those things into our faces, along with pseudo-deep Shakespeare quotes (who were probably just dick puns, I mean we all know the good old Bill). (Writing 3/5)

Still, Gier had me from the first second on. Gwendolyn, the main character is not only a time-traveller, but can also see ghosts. Why the hell she keeps seeing neat gargoyle demons instead of rape victims or dead dudes with missing limbs, who knows? The thing I like about Gwen is that she's a typical 16-year-old. She's a bit shallow ("omg look my time-travelling partner is hot but has a horrible personality! ... he likes me? Well then holler, let's make out!!"), doesn't overthink stuff and basically has a lot to learn. I like that. I also like that she has the memory of a goldfish. Definitely no Mary Sue, definitely not a grown up. Yeah, I feel like I should give credit for that because some authors don't even get the basics in YA right. Sadly.

Gideon on the other hand, her extremely handsome companion with the impossibly green eyes and sexy romance-novel-cover-flowy-hair is just not for me. To me, they had absolutely no chemistry and I can not understand why anyone would like this dude. He's not only a cocky know-it-all, but also all over everything that moves. Also it's a bad case of insta-love in here and the second I notice that, I'm completely leaving the harbor, no shipping involved. Aside from the protagonists I think that Gier did a fantastic job with the side characters. I can't wait to find out more about James the Ghost, of course Saint Germain and Lucy Montrose + Paul De Villiers. They're all intriguing characters and I like how every single character in this novel has a backstory. (Dr. White and his deceased relative for example, what a cute little side plot). It all makes the novel very vivid and seem real, and I'm always a fan of stories that aren't exactly main-plot-driven. (Characters 4/5)

Like I said, I may be a sucker for time travel, but the headache factor in this novel is just too goddamn high. The scene in the beginning where Gwendolyn encounters her future self isn't even in the first bok and I can already guarantee you guys, that I will have forgotten it when it's finally taking place. Also, how did she not think about the fact that her future self kissed the hot dude she's all over? Man, I would have at least thought about that one once, like come on! Seems like a case of "the editor told me to do this", because there's absolutely not relation to the main plot. In general I think that the novel could have used a bit of cutting. It's a very long read compared to how long it takes to actually get going.

There were a few chapters, especially the random stuff taking place in schoool with her best friend Leslie, that I just didn't care the slightest about. I would have rather had more plot and a more concluding ending than just ...?? Did anyone understand the ending? I think it's pretty obvious who the mysterious "he" and "she" from the prologue and epilogue are so there's no question in that. Just, how can you end a novel like this? Might as well end it mid-sentence. Absolutely no continuity and as a reader I feel forced to buy the second one because the first one just seems like an actual part one of a book that should be sold in whole. Ugh. (Plot 2/5)

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Overall: Do I Recommend?

While I really had a fun time reading this, there were a few slumps. The contuinity is a bit off and as a whole the novel doesn't really make much sense. I'm going to have to buy the second and possibly also third one to even understand what the hell is going on and that's just a big no-no. If you just want to try out a series and see if you like it, this one is just no good, because you're forced to continue. Don't force me to do anything. I read for enjoyment. So no, if you have too much money, read it. If you're looking for a simple read, stay away from this. ( )
  bookavid | Nov 26, 2014 |
I'm a sucker for time travel books and this one has an interesting conspiracy angle going on as well. I like the juxtaposition of Gwyneth and her friend Leslie and their modern wisecracking attitudes against the oh-so-serious Guardians. Can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 4, 2014 |
Gwyneth Shepherd is an ordinary teenage girl born into an extraordinary family. Her cousin, Charlotte, has presumably inherited a gene that allows her to travel in time, and everyone is waiting for the "gift" to present itself. Gwen is just happy that she's not the one who inherited the gene...that is, until she finds herself traveling back in time. Come to find out that Gwen, and not Charlotte, is the one who has the gene. Now Gwen finds herself thrust into a world for which she's ill-prepared.

I mostly picked up this book because it seems that everyone who reads YA is talking about how awesome this book is. And I really did like the book. I enjoyed the time travel aspect, and the secret society of the Guardians, and the fact that Gwen is almost overwhelmed by the fact that she is the one who has inherited the gene and she is in no way prepared for this. Charlotte has been training all of her life to travel back in time - learning different languages, studying history, etc - while Gwen is just a normal teenager. (Except for the fact that Gwen sees, and can communicate with, ghosts and demons and other creatures.)

But...

I just wasn't in love with this book. I felt that the "relationship" between Gwen and Gideon is going way too fast. She's known him for about 48 hours in the book, maybe a little more, and already people are saying that she's "in love" with him. Heck, when Gideon kissed her at the end of the book, I was wondering where in the heck that came from, because for most of the book he was a jerk to her. Why are all of the "heroes" in YA so jerky for much of the time? It's driving me crazy. I need to either read some adult fiction or some non-fiction to wipe my reading palate from the bad taste all of this YA is leaving in my mouth, haha.

I think this book would probably be good for those who are younger - maybe around the ages of 12 to 16 - but as a 34 year old adult, it just didn't really appeal to me. Gwen feels much younger than 16 to me, and I'm tired of the instalove that is found so often in YA.

I will read the rest of the series, but I think I need to read some adult fiction first.
  schatzi | Aug 24, 2014 |
Fun time travel novel. Looking forward to the others. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible