Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Series: Ruby Trilogy (1)

Sixteen-year-old Gwyneth discovers that she, rather than her well-prepared cousin, carries a time-travel gene, and soon she is journeying with Gideon, who shares the gift, through historical London trying to discover whom they can trust.
Member:catthebooklady
Title:Ruby Red
Authors:Kerstin Gier
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (2009)

English (137)  German (7)  Italian (3)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (149)
This was a light quick read, and I thought it was super fun! It was a little juvenile, and suffered from a mild case of the Not Like Most Girls Syndrome, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, and it made me laugh.

RTC. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
Honestly, I'm not quite sure why I liked Ruby Red so much. The plot is intriguing, anything with time travel would have to try really hard not to be, but the movement of the characters is predictable. Each one fits a nice trope, which isn't bad in itself, it just makes it easy to guess what they'll do next if one cares to guess about such things. There are moments of action, but the whole book is essentially introduction, build-up for the second book.

However, despite all of this, it is fast-paced, colourful, and sometimes funny, too. Gwyneth might not be the most original heroine, but her common sense and occasional snarkiness are endearing. The incorporation of different time periods of history gives ample opportunity for description, which is provided in a good amount for this style of book. Obviously, Kerstin Gier doesn't go Dickens on us, but one does get a good glimpse of all the crystal chandeliers and velvet drapes or the dusty basements filled with mice.

The novel's end left me with more questions than which I began, but hopefully they'll be answered in the second book.

Don't go into the book too seriously. If you're looking for a light diversion, that's what you'll get.

Another impulse read turned good, I'd say. ( )
  Pascale1812 | Apr 16, 2020 |
I read this book in one sitting. I liked the premise, the time travel and the writing. I did feel like the author spent a lot of time building up the world and up to Gwen's introduction into the society and didn't give me enough actual time travel. I could tell that she was building up for a trilogy all along. I'm not particularly fond of that habit with authors but I'm willing to overlook it here because it was a really good book. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I found that the whole book felt like a prologue, it started getting interesting just as it ended. I understand that it's a series and the author wanted to leave you desperate for the next book, it just felt too forced and sudden. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
The Precious Stone Trilogy by Kirsten Gier starts off with Ruby Red, an intriguing novel filled with mystery, fantasy and traces of science fiction. We meet Gwen, a sixteen year old girl who's said to be mundane in every way, especially when compared to her self-righteous cousin. Fortunately for Gwen, she's special. Gwen can see ghosts and time travel - much to everyone's dismay - and that makes her the Ruby. She pushes her cousin out of the limelight and forces Gideon (the Diamond) to take notice of her, even though they kind of despise one another. Things quickly change from hatred to toleration - and then to love? - which isn't exactly how real life works, but somehow it didn't feel too out of this world.

Now, yeah okay, I usually make fun of stuff like this because it's filled with tropes (and I do so enjoy making fun of tropes), but Ruby Red wasn't as bad as all that. It's a rather short novel, but it's fast-paced, and it sets up the story for the next book. I think some things did get lost in translation (Ruby Red is originally a German book), especially the characters' true voices. All in all though, I enjoyed the book. The movie (in German) isn't too shabby either. ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |

Kerstin Gierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lemaire, NellyTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Elk, Dolphin, and Owl, who kept me company while I was writing, and for a little red double-decker bus that made me happy at just the right moment.
Prologue: As she fell to her knees and burst into tears, he looked all around the park.
Chapter 1: I first felt it in the school canteen on Monday morning.

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kerstin Gier's book Ruby Red was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,716,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible