The Sisters Who Would Be Queen: Mary,…

The Sisters Who Would Be Queen: Mary, Katherine, and Lady Jane Grey: A… (2008)

by Leanda de Lisle

3321947,593 (3.76)20

Really a must-read for Tudor history buffs. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Very readable historical non-fiction. Before I read this I don't think I even knew Jane had sisters. Turns out their stories are every bit as intriguing and tragic as Jane's. I also enjoyed learning of a different side of Elizabeth's reign. It did not paint her good side. Turns out she was as cruelly paranoid about being overthrown as her father was. ( )
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
This is a nonfiction account of Lady Jane Grey (Queen of England for nine days, following Henry VIII's son Edward), as well as her younger sisters, Katherine and Mary. Katherine and Mary both later married for love and were both seen as threats to Queen Elizabeth I's throne, and were therefore imprisoned. The girls were grandchildren to Henry's younger sister, Mary.

I've read a lot about Jane, but it's interesting to read about Katherine and Mary, as well, as I knew very little about them. I found this book, unlike a lot of nonfiction, more readable - easy to read and follow - so it didn't move as slowly for me as a lot of nonfiction. I also appreciated the reminders of who people were when they were mentioned again later in the text. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 13, 2017 |
Really a must-read for Tudor history buffs. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Very interesting read, paints a very different picture of Lady Jane Grey. Far from being an innocent pawn in the fight for the crown after being persuaded to accept it she actually becomes determined to remain queen as the alternative would be a catholic as queen and seemingly that would be a bad thing. This is a young woman who would rather die than take the catholic mass.

The way Elizabeth deals with Jane's sisters Katherine and Mary after they marry without royal approval makes her come across as insecure,cruel and vindictive. Her actions can be seen as understandable in Katherine's case as her children were heirs to the throne but Mary had no children and was no threat to her. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Such as ruled and were queens were for the most part wicked, ungodly, superstitious, and given to idolatry and to all filthy abominations as we may see in the histories of Queen Jezebel.
Thomas Becon, 1554
For George MacRae Gimbel
God, the prime mover, brought peace and order to the darkness of the void as the cosmos was born.

Evaluates the tragic story of Lady Jane Grey while offering insight into the parallel experiences of her sisters and the broader Grey family, detailing Jane's short reign and the royal bloodline that exposed all three to the enmity of Elizabeth I.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,022,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible