Moneyball by Michael Lewis

Moneyball (original 2003; edition 2011)

by Michael Lewis

Member:walterqchocobo
Title:Moneyball
Authors:Michael Lewis
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2011), Paperback, 317 pages
Collections:Finished, Audiobook
Rating:***1/2

Moneyball : the art of winning an unfair game by Michael Lewis (2003)

Dollar Sign on the Muscle: The World of Baseball Scouting by Kevin Kerrane (bostonian71)
    bostonian71: A good look at how baseball scouts work and what they look for, and an interesting counterpoint to the stats-based approach described in Moneyball.
    The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First by Jonah Keri (tmarlow05)
    tmarlow05: Details the rise of the Tampa Bay Rays. Shows how techniques used on Wall Street can be utilized to put together a competitive baseball team.
    Born to run: the hidden tribe, the ultra-runners and the greatest race the world has never seen by Christopher McDougall (zhejw)
    zhejw: Both books are stories of outsiders changing the conventional way of approaching a sport. Both authors write compelling narratives that draw the reader into the stories of the individuals who are at the center of this new way of looking at their sport.
    Soccernomics: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey--and Even Iraq--Are Destined to Become the Kings of the World's Most Popular Sport by Simon Kuper (chazzard)
    chazzard: The authors of Soccernomics frequently refer to Moneyball, and apply similar statistical methods.
    Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (tcarter)

English (98)  Spanish (1)  All languages (99)
Wonderful Michael Lewis book about statistics in baseball. ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 25, 2016 |
Personally I really enjoyed this, but I would recommend it only for those who either used to collect baseball cards or currently engage in fantasy baseball leagues, as the focus on baseball stats would otherwise be pretty dry. But, for those who are interested, this is about as great a story based on calculations of various statistics as I can imagine. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Interesting strategy for putting together a team. The Phillies need to focus on those offense/on base stats... Now it's time to head to the theater! ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
This was my neighborhood bookclub's selection and to tell you the truth I had pretty low expectations. It turned out to be better than I expected. I'm not a huge baseball fan but I did follow the game when I was young.

Billy Beane was General Manager of the Oakland A's in the late 90s and wanted a system that would make a poor team competitive with a team that had a much bigger budget. He decided to use on-base averages versus batting skills to challenge a lot of the typical assumptions about what makes a good baseball player. He tried to deconstruct baseball strategy into a more measurable science and use market realities to field a team.

I thought it was interesting to read how statistical analyses worked and see how the Oakland As built one the the top franchises in major league baseball with the second lowest payroll.

It was a really refreshing book about the economics of baseball. You will rethink how baseball players are evaluated after you've read this book and you may view the game a little differently. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
The best baseball book I've ever read, and I've read plenty. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Jan 8, 2016 |

Michael Lewisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neugarten, RobertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lately in a wreck of a Californian ship, one of the
passengers fastened a belt about him with two hundred
pounds of gold in it, with which he was found afterwards
at the bottom. Now, as he was sinking-- had he the gold?
or the gold him?
--John Ruskin, Unto This Last
For Billy Fitzgerald
I can still hear him shouting at me
The first thing they always did was run you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393324818, Paperback)

Billy Beane, general manager of MLB's Oakland A's and protagonist of Michael Lewis's Moneyball, had a problem: how to win in the Major Leagues with a budget that's smaller than that of nearly every other team. Conventional wisdom long held that big name, highly athletic hitters and young pitchers with rocket arms were the ticket to success. But Beane and his staff, buoyed by massive amounts of carefully interpreted statistical data, believed that wins could be had by more affordable methods such as hitters with high on-base percentage and pitchers who get lots of ground outs. Given this information and a tight budget, Beane defied tradition and his own scouting department to build winning teams of young affordable players and inexpensive castoff veterans.

Lewis was in the room with the A's top management as they spent the summer of 2002 adding and subtracting players and he provides outstanding play-by-play. In the June player draft, Beane acquired nearly every prospect he coveted (few of whom were coveted by other teams) and at the July trading deadline he engaged in a tense battle of nerves to acquire a lefty reliever. Besides being one of the most insider accounts ever written about baseball, Moneyball is populated with fascinating characters. We meet Jeremy Brown, an overweight college catcher who most teams project to be a 15th round draft pick (Beane takes him in the first). Sidearm pitcher Chad Bradford is plucked from the White Sox triple-A club to be a key set-up man and catcher Scott Hatteberg is rebuilt as a first baseman. But the most interesting character is Beane himself. A speedy athletic can't-miss prospect who somehow missed, Beane reinvents himself as a front-office guru, relying on players completely unlike, say, Billy Beane. Lewis, one of the top nonfiction writers of his era (Liar's Poker, The New New Thing), offers highly accessible explanations of baseball stats and his roadmap of Beane's economic approach makes Moneyball an appealing reading experience for business people and sports fans alike. --John Moe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:25 -0400)

This book explains how Billy Beene, the general manager of the Oakland Athletics, is using a new kind of thinking to build a successful and winning baseball team without spending enormous sums of money. The author examines the fallacy behind the major league baseball refrain that the team with the biggest wallet is supposed to win. Over the past four years the Oakland Athletics, a major league team with a minor league payroll, have had one of the best records in the country. General Manager Billy Beene is putting into practice on the field revolutionary principles to build his team that have been concocted by geek statisticians and college professors, rather than using the old scouting technique called "gut instinct." The author takes us behind the scenes with the Oakland A's, into the dugouts, and into the conference rooms where the annual Major League draft is held by conference call, and rumor mongering is par for the course as each team jockeys for position for their favored player.I wrote this book because I fell in love with a story. The story concerned a small group of undervalued professional baseball players and executives, many of whom had been rejected as unfit for the big leagues, who had turned themselves into one of the most successful franchises in Major League Baseball. But the idea for the book came well before I had good reason to write it, before I had a story to fall in love with. It began, really, with an innocent question: how did one of the poorest teams in baseball, the Oakland Athletics, win so many games? This book is a quest for something as elusive as the Holy Grail, something that money apparently can't buy: the secret of success in baseball.… (more)

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393324818, 0393057658, 0393338398

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,350,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible