Dark Angels by Karleen Koen

I could NOT finish this one at this time and therefore cannot review or rate fairly. I am disappointed in myself. Even if a book is bad I have to finish it but this is just not going to happen with this book. Perhaps I shall come back to it. Ooops!! Dropped in the tub and now it's soaking wet and ruined.
  MaryEvelynLS | Jun 1, 2014 |
This was a really good book. I had trouble putting it down. Read it in appx 3 days. I had never really read anything about Louis XIV's Court and this gave a good overview. Good characterization and good descriptions. I would recommend this to anyone. I have not read either of her other books but his has inspired me to do so. I'm not big on giving the story line in reviews. That can so easily spoil the book for someone else. It's a "Court life" book. ( )
  JanicsEblen | Oct 19, 2013 |
Dark Angels tells the tale of Alice Verney, a maid of honor to both a Princess of France and a Queen of England. Most of all she seems to desire nothing more then becoming a Duchess and rising in position. Alice isn’t above scheming to get what she wants, and her youthful self-absorption and occasional vindictiveness bring some tragic consequences. Stepping on toes and hurting others doesn’t seem to effect her until almost all those that she most cares for are lost to her. Karleen Koen writes of the treacherous court of King Charles II. The life and times of those that lived at court was full of intrigue,lust, love and betrayal. There seems to be too many characters to keep track of and Alice’s interest for Soldier Richard Saylor seems to be out of nowhere when she finally admits to being in love with him. There relationship seemed friendly at best and them suddenly they are in love? All in all I enjoyed Dark Angels. Koen’s attention to historical detail brings the novel to life and makes for an enjoyable read.
  Jennikjenkins | Sep 20, 2012 |
I picked this book up in a thrift shop unaware that it was the third book in a series. I recommend reading the books in order. I couldn't keep up with the numerous characters and didn't have a 'feel' for who they were until I was at least halfway through the story. The remaining half of the story felt rushed. I was disappointed and let down in the end with the relationship between two main characters. Overall it was an okay read, but if I had the chance to do it over I'd read the first two books before this one. ( )
  beccac220 | Apr 3, 2012 |
Set in the Restoration court of Charles II, Dark Angels tells the tale of young Alice Verney, a headstrong woman determined to be a duchess. Already betrayed by her first fiance, Alice plots her revenge in a court teaming with poison, passion, and politics. She encounters the handsome young Richard Saylor, a soldier with promise, and while a mutual attraction slowly forms between the two, Alice remains dedicated to becoming a duchess. While I always enjoy historical fiction set during the Restoration period, I did not find the characters of Dark Angels very engaging or well-developed. Alice is nearly unlikable at times, especially in how she treats her friend Barbara and her refusal to mend bridges with Caro. Despite this, Dark Angels remains an interesting look at Restoration England and the fascinating cast of characters found during this period. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Sep 16, 2011 |
May 1670
Facing white cliffs in a strait of ocean separating two kingdoms, a fleet of ships lay at anchor. It was the fleet of the kingdom of England, sent to escort precious cargo: a princess of England and France, the most famous princess in Christendom, in fact.

Alice Verney is a young woman intent on achieving her dreams. Having left Restoration England in the midst of a messy scandal, she has been living in Louis XIV’s Baroque, mannered France for two years. Now she is returning home to England and anxious to re-establish herself quickly. First, she will regain her former position as a maid of honor to Charles II’s queen. Then she will marry the most celebrated duke of the Restoration, putting herself in a position to attain power she’s only dreamed of. As a duchess, Alice will be able to make or break her friends and enemies at will.

But all is not as it seems in the rowdy, merry court of Charles II. Since the Restoration, old political alliances have frayed, and there are whispers that the king is moving to divorce his barren queen, who some wouldn’t mind seeing dead. But Alice, loyal only to a select few, is devoted to the queen, and so sets out to discover who might be making sinister plans, and if her own father is one of them. When a member of the royal family dies unexpectedly, and poison is suspected, the stakes are raised. Alice steps up her efforts to find out who is and isn’t true to the queen, learns of shocking betrayals throughout court, and meets a man that she may be falling in love with—and who will spoil all of her plans. With the suspected arrival of a known poison-maker, the atmosphere in the court electrifies, and suddenly the safety of the king himself seems uncertain. Secret plots are at play, and war is on the horizon—but will it be with the Dutch or the French? And has King Charles himself betrayed his country for greed?

The long-awaited prequel to Koen’s beloved Through a Glass Darkly, Dark Angels is a feast of a novel that sparkles with all the passion, extravagance, danger, and scandal of seventeenth-century England. Unforgettable in its dramatic force, here is a novel of love and politics, of romance and betrayal, of power and succession—and of a resourceful young woman who risks everything for pride and status in an era in which women were afforded little of either.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:51 -0400)

An ambitious young woman, Alice Verney risks everything for pride and status, as she deals with the political intrigues, private passions, shifting alliances, and social machinations of the Restoration court of King Charles II.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible