Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide…

Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite

by June Casagrande

This was an audiobook with excellent narration by the author. Although text might be the preferable format for this topic, it was easy to follow. Casagrande is entertaining in this humorous and light-hearted grammar lesson. The good news: grammar rules are not nearly as scary as you think. It was not only worthwhile, but an enjoyable book. ( )
  VivienneR | Jun 17, 2016 |
I'm a sucker for language guides. I thought that the title was tongue-in-cheek and that this would be directed at grammar snobs like me. It wasn't. But it was still both entertaining and useful; what more could one ask? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
June Casagrande is my personal deity. You should know that before you read the rest of this review (or while deciding whether or not to do so).

She's funny, she's smart, and she knows when to take grammar seriously and when to tell it to get over itself, already.

I could quote this book like mad -- and, let's face it, I have and will continue to do so. But really, there are only two things you need to know about it.

The first is that Casagrande doesn't mind saying that there are plenty of times when our language hasn't decided what the rules are.

For instance, which of the following is correct: "I appreciate you taking the time to meet with me," or "I appreciate your taking the time to meet with me?"

When should you use "each other," and when should you employ "one another" instead?

Is it correct to say "It is I she loves," or "It is me she loves"?

Here's Casagrande's answer, and boy howdy does she back it up with research:

The answer to all these questions and more: Nobody knows.

When I say nobody knows, I don't mean that the experts bicker over the right way to do these things. These are not cases in which they simply disagree. These are cases in which they truly don't have a clue. If they tell you otherwise, they're bluffing. They would like us to believe that they hold such mystical wisdom, but the truth is they're as clueless as the rest of us.

Which basically sums up the difference between a grammar nerd, who finds this answer fascinating and a little reassuring, and a grammar snob, who enjoys hitting other people over the head with the force of her rightness and does NOT relish the idea of having to live and let live when it comes to language usage.

The second thing you need to know about this book is that it's called Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies. This title will either give you a giggle or make your face pucker up like you just bit a lemon.

If it's the first, buy this book, because the whole thing is written in exactly this tone. It's ridiculously informative, and you'll enjoy every minute of learning how our language actually works.

If you made the lemon face, buy this book and read it because I want to watch you cry.

Either way, long live June Casagrande.

And now if you'll excuse me, I have some incense to light. That altar I have set up in the corner is getting chilly. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Apart from being entirely useful, June Casagrande's Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies is nothing less than a hoot! She has a style of seemingly off-the-cuff writing that makes an otherwise tedious subject quite easily digestible.

Grammar- and East Coast-snob than I am, I would never have imagined that a Southern California girl could pull this off. But she does -- and masterfully (or mistressfully) so!

For those of you who write for a living or for others who simply want to brush up on some of the stickier (and pricklier) points of the English language, I can't encourage you enough to pick up a copy of Ms. Casagrande's book, read it, then give it a well-deserved berth on your bookshelf right next to Fowler's Dictionary of Modern English and Lynn Truss's Eats(,) Shoots & Leaves. I can assure you: the three will make excellent stable-mates!

RRB
07/26/13
Brooklyn, NY, USA
  RussellBittner | Dec 12, 2014 |
Well, there was some interesting/useful information in this book, but overall the humor just fell flat and was really annoying. Either the author thought she is much funnier than she is, or she was trying too hard, or maybe she's just not funny. In any event, it didn't work for me.

So grammar snobs are meanies, but to fight them back non-grammar-snobberians (I don't know what you would call them) should learn grammar so they can be equally obnoxious right back at them? Whatevs. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
For Ted

What do suicidal pandas, doped-up rock stars, and a naked Pamela Anderson have in common? They’re all a heck of a lot more interesting than reading about predicate nominatives and hyphens. June Casagrande knows this and has invented a whole new twist on the grammar book. Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies is a laugh-out-loud funny collection of anecdotes and essays on grammar and punctuation, as well as hilarious critiques of the self-appointed language experts.

Chapters include:

I’m Writing This While Naked—The Oh-So Steamy Predicate Nominative
Semicolonoscopy—Colons, Semicolons, Dashes, and Other Probing Annoyances
I’ll Take "I Feel Like a Moron" for $200, Alex—When to Put Punctuation Inside Quotation Marks
Snobbery Up with Which You Should Not Put Up—Prepositions
Is That a Dangler in Your Memo or Are You Just Glad to See Me?
Hyphens—Life-Sucking, Mom-and-Apple-Pie-Hating, Mime-Loving, Nerd-Fight-Inciting Daggers of the Damned

Casagrande delivers practical and fun language lessons not found anywhere else, demystifying the subject and taking it back from the snobs. In short, it’s a grammar book people will actually want to read—just for the fun of it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:26 -0400)

A hilarious collection of essays and anecdotes, Casagrande delivers practical language lessons not found anywhere else. Demystifying the subject and taking it back from the snobs.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,391,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible