Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (original 1950; edition 1975)

by C. S. Forester

Member:Magus_Manders
Title:Mr. Midshipman Hornblower
Authors:C. S. Forester
Info:Pinnacle Books (1975), Edition: 3rd Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 270 pages
Rating:***
Tags:English, 20th Century, Novel, Historical Fiction, Napoleonic Wars, Nautical, War, Adventure

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester (1950)

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, Book 1) by Naomi Novik (ktoonen)
    ktoonen: If you can accept the fact that dragons happen to exist, the tone, style, and language make this series a great read-alike for the Horatio Hornblower series.
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (br77rino)

English (46)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All languages (48)
לא חשבתי שחמישים שנה אחרי שקראתי את הספר פעם ראשונ​ה יחד עם כל הסאגה עוד אהנה ממנו היום. אבל להפתעתי ​הוא עדיין קריאה טובה, מעניינת ואינטליגנטית.​ ( )
  amoskovacs | Feb 24, 2016 |
What a great introduction to the character. These short stories give a broad overview of the early Naval education of Horatio Hornblower and it turns out to be a really entertaining read. Published 6th in order of publication it actually makes mores sense to read it first chronologically -and so I did!

A little more accessible than the O'Brian series, but still full of detail and atmosphere. I love this book and wish I'd read them as a lusty youth - I may even have joined the Senior Service myself. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
An enjoyable read. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
The first in a series, and my first time reading this in a long time. The character, a 17 year old thrust into a leadership position in the Brit Navy during the 18th century, develops as we read. The reader can see the future captain developing. This novel is episodic and really feels like a collection of short stories; development of the future Hornblower? ( )
  buffalogr | Oct 26, 2015 |
A reread for me of one of the seminal books of my adolescence. This book started me on my decades long enjoyment of books about the Napoleonic Wars. The entire Hornblower series by C.S.Forester, the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell, and the Patrick O'Brian classics featuring Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin.

This book read almost as good as the first six or seven times I read it, except as I get older, it becomes more difficult to project myself into Hornblower's character, a 17-year-old boy thrust into the brutal hardship of serving in the British Navy in the late 18th century.

Skilled writing, great storytelling, thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  ChrisNorbury | Apr 17, 2014 |

C. S. Foresterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodska, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A January gale was roaring up the Channel, blustering loudly, and bearing on its bosom rain squalls whose big drops rattled loudly on the tarpaulin clothing of those among the officers and men whose duties kept them on deck.

The year is 1793, the eve of the Napoleonic Wars, and Horatio Hornblower, a seventeen-year-old boy unschooled in seafaring and the ways of seamen, is ordered to board a French merchant ship and take command of crew and cargo for the glory of England. Though not an unqualified success, this first naval adventure teaches the young midshipman enough to launch him on a series of increasingly glorious exploits. This novel-in which young Horatio gets his sea legs, proves his mettle, and shows the makings of the legend he will become-is the first of the eleven swashbuckling Hornblower tales that are today regarded as classic adventure stories of the sea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:12 -0400)

"Horatio Hornblower is only seventeen when he joins His Majesty's Royal Navy as a Midshipman. He's dangerously unschooled in seafaring and the ways of seamen, but he's saved by his quick, mathematical mind and keen eye.... This is where it all begins--where young Hornblower gets his sea legs and shows the makings of the legend he will later become."--Jacket.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,802,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible