Sarah's Quilt: A Novel of Sarah Agnes…

Sarah's Quilt: A Novel of Sarah Agnes Prine and the Arizona… (2005)

by Nancy E. Turner

This is the continuing saga of Sarah Prine. I liked the first book so much, I couldn't resist this and the third in the series, once I learned they existed.

Ah, another page turner that leaves the reader wanting more. Sarah's family grows larger and more complicated. The artistry of these books is in the details, flowing along so naturally I felt like I was there, sitting on the porch and in the middle of the heart-stopping moments. The story is full of adventure, adversity, good and bad people, terror, joy, warmth, personalities, and more. It's a window into our past and how our country was built, and what it took to build it on a personal level.

I've already purchased a set of these books for a gift, before reading the last in the series. They're that good. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Well it was an enjoyable read but not very believable
It seemed that everything that can go wrong did and even things that you do not expect,did. It started to get annoying after a while.
Then there were stories she started or people I liked and she spoke about to then abandon that story and that person and then quickly killed her off.

Those were the negatives but I still enjoyed reading this and I even read during the day. This book is a 3.5 stars book imo. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Due to some health issues I've been spending a lot of time reading this past week - and having a couple of good books certainly helped pass the time quickly. My book club read These is My Words by Nancy Turner in the past year. These are the next two installments to Sarah Prine's life in the Arizona territories of the early 190s.

These are good books - full of excitement, pioneer vim and vigor and the impossibilities life. They are also rather predictable. But, that predictability is not ridiculous - more like what you expect when you turn on an old western.

Sarah and her family are stuck on the edge of the Mexican/Arizona desert - trying to make a living on a drought stricken ranch with too many mouths to feed and not enough rain. In the midst of this drought her Mexican neighbor gets a bit too big for his britches and tries everything to rid the countryside of her family.

The books are filled with family lives and goings on, with the day to day hardships of living and trying not to die. You really care about them. You want to see them succeed, you want to see them live.

So, I liked them and am glad I read them - but they aren't as good as the first book though...in fact they get a bit long on Sarah's descriptions and the longing for something she can't quite find...and of course it's right in front of her nose. I also really hate the titles...all three titles are not particularly enticing. ( )
  kebets | Sep 14, 2015 |
2nd book about Agnes Prine, Arizona territory pioneer, good ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
Sarah’s Quilt is a sequel to These Is My Words, the story of Sarah Prine and her family as they homestead in the territory of Arizona. This second book opens in April of 1906, and find a widowed Sarah still living on her ranch and very much involved in her family’s affairs. This is the beginning of a difficult summer for the family, there is a drought that has lasted almost three years at this point, her good friend and neighbour, Rudolfo Maldonado has made it clear that he would like to marry Sarah and she must decide if she is ready for that kind of relationship again. One branch of the family lives in San Francisco and when the devastating earthquake hits, Sarah and her father-in-law travel to California to be of assistance. A young man shows up claiming to be the son of Ernest, her long missing brother, it soon becomes clear that he means to stay and make a claim on the ranch. Her mother is showing more and more signs of senility and her beloved sister-in-law is experiencing a difficult pregnancy.

The fictional character of Sarah Prine is based on the author’s great grandmother, and one of my all time favourite characters. This is a truly interesting story set in the Arizona Territory during a time of change. Horses were giving way to the new horseless carriages, gas lighting and sewer systems were being installed in the cities of Phoenix and Tucson and the author has caught this feeling of growth and change in her story of this one family’s life over the course of a few months time in 1906.

Although I didn’t love this story as much as the first book, I am glad that I was able to revisit Sarah and see how her life evolved. I know there is one more book in the trilogy, which I may pick up at some point, but for now I am content that her middle years found her productive, peaceful and looking forward to the future. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Nov 14, 2014 |
For Collin, Megan, and Allison
April 24, 1906
I used the rifle to part branches as I ran.

In 1906, Sarah Agnes Prine's family struggles to hold on to their land and faith during a three-year drought, and their hardships only continue when they learn Sarah's brother and his family have been trapped in the Great San Francisco Earthquake.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible