A Picture Book of Rosa Parks by David A.…

A Picture Book of Rosa Parks

by David A. Adler

Other authors: Robert Casilla (Illustrator)

Series: Picture Book Biographies

This is a great book for children who are old enough to understand it. But I would say that around 2nd or 3rd grade level would be good. Depending on when you want to start teaching your children about racism. When you know they can understand racism, hatred, etc. and not have it freak them out too much if at all. (I'm putting it this way because I know all children have to come into things when the individual child can handle it)

It was well written and the pictures were amazingly drawn. Rosa's likeness was captured well, as well as Martin King's and others that were drawn in the book (known and unknown).

I originally bought this book for my nephew who is right now 4 years old but I think it's perfect for him to have it in his collection of books and when his mother is ready for him to listen to the story or read it himself, she'll have it. ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
This book is a picture book biography on Rosa Parks. It paints a picture of what life was like for Rosa as a child and through adulthood. It starts in segregated America and hits on key points in the civil rights movement and Rosa's life. The book does a good job giving details on the story of Rosa Parks staying on the city bus. It's a good educational read.

I liked this book. I think it gives a clear, simple history of Rosa Park's contribution to history. I wouldn't read this for pleasure, just because it's purely historic events and a little dry for my taste. However, I would recommend it for a classroom.

This would be a perfect book to supplement a lesson about strong women or the civil rights movement. It could be read by elementary readers. I could even see a middle school teacher read it to their class, when learning about civil rights. ( )
  ambybeth | Apr 21, 2017 |
In 1955, Rosa Parks was seated in the middle of a segregated bus in Montgomery, Alabama. When white passengers got on the bus, Rosa was told to give up her seat. She knew this was not fair, as she had paid the same fare the white passengers did, so she remained seated. The bus driver called the police and Rosa was arrested. African Americans attempted to protest Rosa's arrest by refusing to ride on public buses. In 1956, the United States Supreme Court ruled that segregation on public buses was illegal. This biography was very well organized and relayed a lot of accurate information. There is also a timeline at the end of the book with all of the important dates from Rosa Park's life listed, which could be used to integrate other subject areas into the lesson. ( )
  krista_patman | Jan 24, 2017 |
In this book we see how for some the civil rights movement started with the arrest of Rosa Parks. We see the courage and determination for her self and other's rights and standing up for everyone. A woman's refusal to give up her seat on a bus turned into a movement by millions for equal rights. This is a great book for the second to fourth grade level with its story told with pictures and words.
This would be a great book to have a discussion with my students on who, what, when, where, why of the civil rights movement. Discuss what the book meant to them and why they feel it was important for Rosa to do something so small as keeping her seat yet so huge at the same time.
Another activity for this book so the children can express their feelings on the matter is to have them paint a picture on how they think Rosa felt that day OR have them paint themselves on a day they felt the same way Rosa did and why it is so important to stand up for what is truly right. ( )
  sb938957 | Jul 19, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. First the writing style was appropriate for the younger audience that this book would attract. This time period can be very graphic and not appropriate for young readers, the the author does a good job of showing facts that students can learn from without being too graphic. The illustrations were also very well done for this book. The pictures were able to demonstrate what the strike against the busses looked like and how the boycott started. The pictures did a great job of illustrating this difficult concept for children. The character development was essential to the plot of the story. The readers follow Rosa Parks as she stands up for what she believes in to make a difference in society. The big idea or message of this book is to stand up for what is right even though it might be difficult and you may not have the support of the majority of the population. ( )
  rbiegel | Apr 18, 2016 |

David A. Adlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Casilla, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 082341177X, Paperback)

Her refusal to give up her seat on a bus helped establish the civil rights movement.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:03 -0400)

A biography of the Alabama black woman whose refusal to give up her seat on a bus helped establish the civil rights movement.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible