We Are All Suspects Now: Untold Stories from…

We Are All Suspects Now: Untold Stories from Immigrant America After 9/11

by Tram Nguyen

2007 Reading Program NF ( )
  PleasantHome | Oct 23, 2016 |
read about the "war on terror" from those who've lived it -- courtesy of the U.S. government ( )
  beau.p.laurence | Jul 23, 2006 |

In an ironic reversal of the American dream, a staggering 20,000 members of the immigrant community of Midwood, Brooklyn (known as Little Pakistan), voluntarily left the United States after 9/11. Tram Nguyen reveals the human cost of the domestic war on terror and examines the impact of post-9/11 policies on people targeted because of immigration status, nationality, race, and religion. Nguyen's evocative narrative reporting-about the families, detainees, local leaders, community advocates, and others living on the front lines-tells the stories of people who witnessed and experienced firsthand the unjust detainment or deportation of family members, friends, and neighbors.

Tram Nguyen reveals the human cost of the domestic war on terror and examines the impact of post-9/11 policies on people targeted because of immigration status, nationality, and religion. Nguyen's evocative narrative reporting-about the families, detainees, local leaders, community advocates, and others-is from those living and suffering on the front lines. We meet Mohammad Butt, who died in detention in New Jersey, and the Saleems, who flee Queens for Canada. We even follow a self-proclaimed'citizen patroller' who monitors and detains immigrants on the U.S.-Mexico border.

We Are All Suspects Now, in the words of Mike Davis, "takes us inside a dark world . . . where the American Dream is fast turning into a nightmare and suggests proactive responses to stop our growing climate of xenophobia, intimidation, and discrimination.

"In the fall of 2004, I, too, suffered a devastating Department of Homeland Security-related loss, joining the post-9/11 suspect community in a way I had never expected or imagined . . . We are indeed, all of us, suspects."--from the Foreword by Edwidge Danticat

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:38 -0400)

Explores how the domestic war on terror influenced the nation's immigrant communities in the months following the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible