Don of the Dead (Pepper Martin Mysteries,…

Don of the Dead (Pepper Martin Mysteries, No. 1): A Pepper Martin Mystery (edition 2009)

by Casey Daniels (Author)

Member:Deelightful
Title:Don of the Dead (Pepper Martin Mysteries, No. 1): A Pepper Martin Mystery
Authors:Casey Daniels (Author)
Info:HarperCollins e-books (2009), 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:paranormal mystery

Don of the Dead by Casey Daniels

The start of Pepper Martin’s career of P.I. to the dead. She slips and hits her head on the stones of Don Gus Scarpetti’s mausoleum, when she wakes up life changes because now she can see and talk to ghosts. Her first client is Gus Scarpetti his unfinished business – who murdered him?

Fun, easy read. The mystery is well plotted and the characters are individual and easy to visualize. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Apr 1, 2018 |
It was mostly a meh 2 stars, but the last 50 pages or so managed to hold my attention. Marginally.
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
This book really reminded me of the Teagarden Mystery books by Charlaine Harris. Some sexual attraction, some humor, and some great characters. I got involved enought to read the rest of the series, there were enough unfinished things to keep me coming back. A fast read, I finished in one day... ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
About: Pepper Martin, a down-on-her-luck-former-rich-girl, is stuck giving cemetery tours to pay her bills. After taking a spill and whacking her head on a tombstone, she's suddenly able to see Gus Scarpetti, a mob boss who got whacked decades earlier. Gus' spirit is not able to "move on" until he takes care of some unfinished earthly business, namely finding out who murdered him, and he wants Pepper to help. Pepper doesn't want to do it, however Mafia dons don't take no for an answer, even deceased ones.

Yays: The murder mystery was fantastic. Essentially it was a 30-year old cold case that Pepper had to crack, and Gus wasn't always forthcoming with helpful information. It wasn't easy putting all the pieces together, but Pepper managed to do it. I didn't figure out the culprit until the last few pages. I also loved the cemetery setting. For a taphophile like me, a cemetery tour guide would be a fascinating job.

Mehs: I'm sorry to say that I just didn't care for Pepper. She was great at solving the mystery, and her ghost-seeing ability was super cool, but other than that, she was kind of annoying. I lost count of the times she mentioned her large boobs and how men find them irresistible. *eye-roll* She came off as shallow and materialistic, which I'm sure ties in with the former-rich-girl thing. I'm hoping her personality goes through some changes in future books.

Conclusion: Though the main character could have been better, I loved the paranormal mystery in DON OF THE DEAD. Since I love ghost stories so much, I'd be willing to read the next book in the series and see if Pepper's character matures. 3½-stars! ( )
  bookofsecrets | Apr 7, 2013 |
Entertaining. I don't know that I would read more in the series, except that there are some unanswered questions. If I want to know what the answers are, I'll have to read on.... ( )
  booklovre6 | Mar 30, 2013 |
For David, my cemetery stommpin' buddy. Here's to tomato soup and Cheez-Its!
I have to admit, the first time Gus Scarpetti spoke to me, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060821469, Mass Market Paperback)

She sees dead people

Beautiful, smart, and chic, Pepper Martin never had to work a day in her life -- until her surgeon daddy was convicted of fraud, her wealthy fiancé took a powder, and the family fortune ran bone dry.

Suddenly desperate, the inexperienced ex-rich girl was forced to take the only job she could get: as a tour guide in a cemetery. But a grave situation took a turn for the worse when a head-on collision with a headstone left her with an unwanted ability to communicate with the disgruntled deceased . . . and now Pepper has a whacked Mafia don demanding that she hunt down his killers -- and threatening to haunt her until she does.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:36 -0400)

A former rich girl whose life has fallen apart around her, Pepper Martin takes a job as a tour guide in a local cemetery, but a head-on collision with a gravestone has left her with the ability to communicate with the disgruntled deceased, including a nasty Mafia don who is threatening to haunt her forever unless she can track down his killers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,571,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible