Six Crows by Leo Lionni

Six Crows

by Leo Lionni

One of the books recommended by William Kreidler in Teaching Conflict Resolution Through Children's Literature.
  NEYM_RE_Library | Dec 3, 2013 |
This story is about a farmer who feuds with 6 crows over the crows eating his wheat. One day a wise owl reccomends that the crows and farmer work things out by talking it over. The farmer and crows both make peace with each other. This is a good book to teach how to solve a problem with others and come to an agreement. ( )
  rwalsh06 | Oct 8, 2013 |
Summary:
Six Crows is about six crows and a farmer. The farmer planted wheat and the crows would fly down and eat it. So The farmer built two scarecrows which caused the crows to build a ferocious kite to try and scare the scarecrow away. The owl made both the farmer and the crows talk about what had happened and they worked everything out in the end.

Personal Reaction:
I loved this book. It shows that by talking through a problem is a better way to solve a problem then to argue about it. I also like all the textures used in the illustrations.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have two groups in the classroom. One group will draw the "ferocious" kite and the other will draw the scarecrow.
2. make a writing prompt: Write about a situation that has happened to you that you could have handled better.
  MichelleOsburn | Sep 10, 2013 |
Summary
A farmer is irritated by six crows that continuously eat his wheat. He decides to build a scarecrow and the crows surprisingly retaliate. The farmer and crows go back and forth and an owl sits observing the silliest that causes the wheat crop to suffer. The owl uses owl wisdom to help solve the situation.

Personal Reaction
I enjoyed the craftiness involved by the farmer and the crows. I especially enjoyed the Leo Lionni using an owl as the wisest character in the story.

Classroom Extension Ideas
I. Art
Children can build individual scarecrows
II. Agriculture
We can use the book to discuss why we must overcome small obstacles to focus on the bigger picture (the disagreement caused the wheat to wither)
We can research wheat. Who eats it? Who plants it? What does it need to survive? Then we could bake homemade bread as a class. ( )
  MissJessicaGaines | Sep 10, 2013 |
I was unfamiliar with this Lionni title until I received this reissue. Love Lionni!!! ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |

Is contained in

An owl helps a farmer and some crows reach a compromise over the rights to the wheat crop.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible