The Diary of a Madman, The Government…

by Nikolai Gogol, Ronald Wilks (Translator), Robert A. Maguire (Introduction)

306None36,701 (4.2)6
Member:eowynfaramir
Title:The Diary of a Madman, The Government Inspector, and Selected Stories (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Nikolai Gogol
Other authors:Ronald Wilks (Translator), Robert A. Maguire (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2006), Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Great Fiction, ODU LIbrary, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:19C, Gogol, Russian, novel, fiction, literature, classic, bureaucracy, corruption, satire, drama, play, introduction, chronology, short stories, collection

The Diary of a Madman, The Government Inspector, and Selected Stories (Penguin Classics) by Nikolai Gogol

Recently added bymaggiemay1992, djs11014, Schehezerade, sailaab, panopoly, private library, king_ghidra, rlswihart

If you’re one of those folks who asks the question “can this really happen?” while you read, then I don’t recommend this book...

But if you like “weird” and “unconventional”, like a nose that one day decides to detach itself from the face and decides to live its own life, or a madman who can hear dogs talking and can read their letters to each other, than this might be the book for you.

If you can let go of the idea that these stories aren’t meant to be read as “possible things which may occur in real life,” and just enjoy the literature, then you’re in for an adventure because Gogol’s stories are anything but boring... ( )
  Asli_Agaoglu | Jan 11, 2012 |
Brilliant short story told from the point of view of a man who is slowly going insane.

As the diary entries progress, so does the man's insanity. He imagines conversations between dogs (in letter form) and declares himself the new king of Spain. What starts off as amusing, peculiar and a bit hilarious segues into a lonely sadness.

Can't wait to see Geoffrey Rush at BAM interpret this role! ( )
  jenniferthomp75 | Feb 28, 2011 |
With Gogol, to say nothing of his friend Pushkin, is the birth of Russia's modern literature containing Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, et. al.

His mouth curling satirical fictions give the reader full view to the goings on of civil servants and common folk in nineteenth century Russian society. His realistic narratives are airtight templates for the medium of short fiction, and one can do well to study their composition. From the the outlandish interactions of the titular characters in "How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich" and the stunning and beautiful realism of romance gone awry in "Nevsky Prospekt", to the grand political jab that is the writer's most famous play "The Government Inspector".

It is curious to note that "Diary of a Madman", maybe Gogol's most revered short story, seemed lackluster when compared to the other works found here. What does that matter though, when all the rest is so brilliant? Anyone interested in Russian Literature, or fiction in general, will appreciate the skill of this influential and skilled scribe.

I also must note that I prefer these translations of Gogol to those by Pevear and Volokhonsky, who seemed to give his words a dry treatment rather than allow them a certain liveliness that is present here. ( )
1 vote poetontheone | Jun 29, 2010 |
A complete delight to read. I thoroughly enjoyed the dark humour, the bumbling Russian departments, the surreal circumstances, and the portrait of the poor in this short story collection. I would have to say my favorite story is "Diary of a Madman." I will be recommending this to my friends. ( )
  carmelitasita29 | Jun 19, 2009 |

This expanded collection of influential Russian satirist Nikolay Gogol's ingenious pieces now includes his most famous play.

Includes a chronology, explanatory notes, and publishing history for each work

@StaticBureaucracy Finally got my new threads today. Took it to work, I look Superfly. I’m not a gnat on a wall any more, I’m Akaky ‘Big Pimpin’’ Akakyevitch.

Seriously, check out pics on my Flickr. This coat is so money, it doesn’t even know how money it is.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:55 -0400)

Author, dramatist and satirist, Gogol deeply influenced Russian literature with his powerful depictions of a society dominated by petty bureaucracy and base corruption. This volume includes his most admired short fiction, 'The Diary of a Madman', and his most famous drama, 'The Government Inspector'.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible