remembered rapture: the writer at work by…

remembered rapture: the writer at work (1999)

by bell hooks

Totally should not have been the first hooks I read. It's a little repetitious, and there are some essays I utterly failed to connect with in any way (the spirituality ones, especially), and I wanted to throw the book across the room when she dismisses popular/mainstream writing and writers as inattentive to and uninterested in craft, but that is a pet peeve of mine.

I'd like to know what hooks thinks of Octavia Butler -- a black female writer who writes explicitly and gorgeously about gender, race, and class, but does so in genre.

Her point about how black female writers historically have often died young, and therefore cannot afford the niceties of waiting to write the family memoir until their parents are dead, though, that struck me. A lot. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
...when I ask you to write more books I am urging you to do what will be for your good and for the good of the world at large. -Virginia Woolf
words have weight-
you bear with me
the weight of my words
suffering whatever pain
this burden causes you in silence-
i bow to you-
Rosa bell and Veodis Watkins
Writing these essays about writing has intensified my understanding and appreciation of the writer at work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805059105, Paperback)

African American women writers, being both black and female, face challenges that the rest of us might never have even considered. While this essay collection is ultimately a celebration of the writing life and of the writers author bell hooks (who signs her name with lower-case letters) cites as inspirational, it also illuminates the issues she and other black women writers have to contend with in their careers. Hooks has been criticized for, among other things, being incredibly prolific (she has been called "the Joyce Carol Oates of black feminist writing") and for her scope: "Black writers," says hooks, "always have difficulty gaining recognition for a body of work if anything we do is eclectic." Though hooks does take her critics to task, she is more concerned with confronting a system that seems determined to work against black women--and other minority--writers. She is critical of publishers for throwing the largest advances and promotional efforts at white male authors. She complains that "when writers from marginalized groups do work that is truly marvelous," the literary establishment is likely to see that work as a "rare exception." And she even rails against black women writers themselves, saying that "Nothing diminishes our efforts to gain a greater hearing for nonfiction by black women more than the severe dismissals of this work by black women."

Autobiography is one form of writing that hooks feels is particularly difficult for black women writers, most of whom come from families that never previously "had to think about whether a relative would write something about their lives." In fact, she says, autobiographical writing is troublesome for writers who do not "come from class backgrounds where there are rituals of public confession like psychoanalysis." As a child, says hooks, "talking openly outside the family about any aspect of family life was considered a form of treason." Now, though her family is proud of her and pleased that she has not forsaken her origins, she says, "writing about my life has created an emotional distance between me and my parents. An intimacy we once shared is gone." --Jane Steinberg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:51 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,444,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible