Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, Book 7) by…

Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, Book 7) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra

Member:G_Riv
Title:Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, Book 7)
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Pia Guerra
Info:Vertigo (2006), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:***
Tags:comic, speculative

Y: The Last Man Vol. 7: Paper Dolls by Brian K. Vaughan (2006)

Last man alive Yorick Brown's kidnapped monkey Ampersand, who may be carrying the antidote to whatever killed off all the other males, is bound for Japan, but he, his bodyguard-escort agent 355, and cloning scientist Alison Mann are in Sydney, Australia, a fueling stop for the ship they've hitched a ride on. Of course, Yorick's fiancee, Beth, is somewhere in the outback, and he wants to get in touch. He wangles shore leave under 355's chaperonage to gather info on Beth's whereabouts, and things, as they will, happen. Soon Yorick's portrait, pants around his ankles, is on the cover of America's favorite tabloid. Meanwhile, back shipboard, lesbian Alison is seduced by a mole for the captain; in the U.S., Yorick's gun-toting sister finds the other Beth bearing Yorick's baby; and on another ship approaching Japan, Ampersand spots an opening. Flashbacks about 355 and Ampersand mortar the three plot streams together, and moody, crepuscular coloring by Zylonol makes the seventh volume of Y one of the handsomest as well as one of the most engaging.
  GalenWiley | Apr 9, 2015 |
This one was fun but it was all over the place. I almost felt like Vaughan wasn't sure where he wanted to go next so he did a bunch of flashbacks to stall until he came up with something. There was a transition in the current timeline that left me feeling like a chapter was missing and then all the flashbacks got a little confusing. Hoping for more clarity in the last 3 books. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 19, 2014 |
This installation of the Y story jumps around a bit in time and space from east to west coast USA, Australia and Japan. It is an example of when simply collecting comic book editions into a larger graphic novel doesn't work so well. It is still very entertaining however, filling in some backstory about 355, Yorick and Beth (and the *other* Beth) and even some of Ampersand's history. ( )
  questbird | Jun 22, 2014 |
Yorick, 355 and Dr. Mann are in Australia for a day, so Yorick insists on getting off the ship to search for his fiance. We also learn some background on 355's life, and a little bit about Yorick and Ampersand.

I really liked this one. I found 355's backstory interesting and there were a few other interesting progressions in the storyline. They did go back and forth in time a few times (not only for 355's story), but the time and place are marked at the start of each section. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 5, 2014 |
Yorick finally makes it to Australia! While Dr. Mann and 355 agree to let Yorick take a look for his long lost girlfriend Beth, they encounter more trouble than expected.

This volume seemed more like a something Vaughn used to tie up loose ends. It felt as if almost nothing progressed here. We're met with two back stories that while interesting, failed to really alter the story in any way. That being said, it's not really all that bad, just not as great as the series has been.

Books 6 and 7 didn't really leave as large of an impression on me as the earlier installments. I'm hoping that Vaughn has a plan here; that the series doesn't become a jumbled mess. I have 3 more entries to go and I have pretty high expectations! C'mon Vaughn, don't let me down! ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sudžuka, GoranIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Have I seen any men? You mean since the big wipeout?

When a plague of unknown origin kills every mammal with a Y chromosome, Yorick Brown discovers that he is the only male left and embarks on a transcontinental journey to discover why.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,032,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible