Around the World in 80 Days [adapted - Great…

Around the World in 80 Days [adapted - Great Illustrated Classics]

by Marian Leighton, Great Illustrated Classics, Jules Verne

Rebekah said, "I felt like I was actually in the movie and in the book. A lot of times I felt like I was actually traveling around the world. I loved it!" - age 8.5
  Legos | Oct 1, 2011 |
I liked the story but I was not thrilled about the Illustrated Classics. It was too simple and too basic for me. I enjoyed the action but I felt like a lot was left out to ensure this was set up for juvenile literature and I really think that it could have kept some of the more exciting parts fluffed out rather than condensing it down to the bare bones. All in all, I liked the story and the overall plot. Again, a good many parts were too simple and to me seemed to run very quickly. I would recommend this AS a juvenile literature, but if you are reading this to kind of get an idea about what the story is about, what I was doing, then you are better off just reading the real book and not wasting your time with this. ( )
  OtwellS | Sep 14, 2011 |
Almost everyone knows the basic story of Phileas Fogg and his trip around the world. There are numerous version of it. I’ve seen quite a few movies and even a (mini?) series, as well as a theater version. All of them change things somewhat, place the focus on different things. I’ve seen parodies, versions focused on the romance, or the theft, serious version and humorous versions. Yet I had never actually read the original, until now.

I can say, without any reservation, that it is the best version I’ve had the pleasure of seeing/reading/experiencing. Aouda’s rescue in India was the bit I was most familiar with, but even though most of the book was a feast of recognition, it was never boring. In fact, there were even instances I was surprised by the story, as those elements had been left out of the versions I knew, or perhaps were just forgotten by me.

Jules Verne is a masterful storyteller and the quiet humor in the story, as well as the spot-on descriptions of both places and characters make this story truly great. I loved the meticulous Phileas Fogg, he was by far my most favorite character. His unflappability was eccentric even for the usually unflappable Brits, and that made him all the more lovable to me.

All in all, the book is deserving of the title of classic. I highly recommend it to everyone, even if they think they know the story well enough. Go, read it, you won’t regret it, I promise! ( )
  Samantha_kathy | Mar 14, 2011 |
This is the first time I've read this book and I enjoyed it very much. The end was a little cheesy and I early on figured out the catch to the end of the story, but I still like it a lot.

My whole life I have immediately gotten the image of a balloon flight in my head at the mention of this story, but Phileas Fogg never uses a balloon. The idea is briefly mentioned when he's figuring how to get to London from New York, but he never actually does it. ( )
  ClydePark2007 | Jul 22, 2007 |

Leighton, Marianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Great Illustrated Classicsmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Verne, Julesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
The Great Illustrated Classics are abridged versions for young readers. Please do not combine with the major work. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Il.... Please do not confuse them with the Illustrated Classics graphic novel adaptations, which are quite different. Thank you.

In 1872, English gentleman Phileas Fogg has many adventures as he tries to win a bet that he can travel around the world in eighty days.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible