The Swamps of Sleethe: Poems From Beyond the…

The Swamps of Sleethe: Poems From Beyond the Solar System

by Jack Prelutsky

6712178,380 (4)6

“The Swamps of Sleethe” was a funny, yet creepy, collection of poems about fictional planets. What I liked most was how creative the poems were. Since all the planets were fictional, they had made up names that were fun to read. Sometimes, the planet names are scrambled, such as “Drifig Prime” instead of “Frigid Prime”. Sometimes, they were strange names like Lonithor (LAH-nuh-thore). Also, the poems were slightly creepy. My favorite was from the poem about Lonithor, “Their hunger is insatiable, And will not be denied. If ever they espy you, There is nowhere you can hide. You're utterly defenseless When they plummet from above. Before you know what's happening, You lose the life you love.". The main idea was the create poems that were fun to read. ( )
  CatherineWillett | Apr 28, 2014 |
I love the inventive wordplay and beautiful illustrations by Jimmy Pickering in this book of interplanetary-themed poetry by Jack Prelutsky. I'd recommend it for ages 10 and up. ( )
  SylviaSmile | May 23, 2013 |
This book is a poetry book of the different places in outer space. If i read this book as a kid I would be terrified. It goes through all the different imainary worlds out there and explains in poem how you would die in each place. Even when I thought I found a good planet it ended in the person laughing themselves to death. I do not recommend this to kids.. ( )
  dwall011 | Apr 10, 2013 |
This one is even less original than the other book of his I reviewed "My Dog May Be a Genius." Same staid rhyming schemes, same not so funniness. Each poem is about a type of creature from some planet, not even different sorts of science fiction tales. Really ordinary. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
The Swamps of Sleethe is a literary exploration of exoplanetary proportions. Indeed, wonder and terror is nicely woven by imagination within this book, plus an added fun to go with the play of words. The Swamps of Sleethe has an anagram game where the readers can decipher the word that describes the property of the planet in each poem. We are witnessing the arrival of the plurality of worlds, heralded by accelerating discoveries of weird planets way beyond our imagination. This book nicely introduces to young readers what is truly happening in our midst: bizarre new exoplanets are continually being found by planet-hunters that can only be described via imaginative prose and poetry, as how they can be magnificently rendered in The Swamps of Sleethe.
added by metapsyche | editExoplanetology, metapsyche (Sep 12, 2009)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375846743, Hardcover)

Book Description

Jack Prelutsky’s exploration of outer space is not for the faint of heart. No friendly little E.T.–type aliens await your arrival. There are many imaginative ways to perish in these darkly comedic cautionary verses about unexplored worlds so far beyond our solar system. The final poem is an environmental tour de force that packs a wallop. Here are poems the older reader will find great fun to memorize and rattle off to anyone who will listen! And there is a special bonus: anagrams for the kid who loves word puzzles.

Amazon Exclusive: A Poem by Jack Prelutsky

There Are Things Out There

There are things out there in the void of space
That we know nothing about.
Some may resemble volleyballs
And feel like sauerkraut.
They may be cold, they may be hot,
They may be huge or small.
They may be friendly, they may be not,
They may not care at all.

Perhaps one has a thousand arms
And malice in its heart.
Perhaps its dire intention
Is to rip our limbs apart.
Perhaps one plans to turn us
Into mounds of cookie dough.
We don’t know what’s in outer space,
We simply do not know.--Jack Prelutsky

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:45 -0400)

A collection of poems with a planetary theme.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible