Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal…

Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science (Fully Revised and Updated) (original 2002; edition 2010)

by Charles Wheelan, Burton G. Malkiel (Foreword)

Title:Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science (Fully Revised and Updated)
Authors:Charles Wheelan
Other authors:Burton G. Malkiel (Foreword)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2010), Edition: Fully Revised and Updated, Paperback, 354 pages
Collections:listsofbests to get
Tags:unowned, listsofbests, outstanding books for the college bound

Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science by Charles Wheelan (2002)

Great book on basic economics, his views are a bit left of center on many issues but still presents basic economic principles in a very good manner ( )
  JaredChristopherson | Nov 16, 2015 |
I picked up this book after reading Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data by the same author. I truly enjoyed that book and this one is no different. This book is really good for people like me who are not Economists by profession. I got familiarized with the basics of economics and am now curious for more.

The author emphasizes the importance of free trade and although this might mean loss (to some extent) to the United States (his home country), he still pushes for this as it as a positive global impact in the long run.

I could easily assimilate the concepts like GDP per capita, how interest rates affect us and what affects them, inflation and deflation and their implication on the global market. The author puts them in elementary language which makes it easy to grasp. ( )
  nmarun | Oct 20, 2015 |
Economics is a confusing subject. It is filled with dry mathematical calculations and big confusing words. Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science by Charles Wheelan does just as the title suggests. Mr. Wheelan, a former journalist for the well-respected The Economist magazine, is a talented author who treats the reader with a very enjoyable explanation of several basic concepts of economics. Boring statistics are few and far between in this book. Wheelan has included many amusing anecdotes that provide a perfect backdrop for his explanations, such as the time when he reluctantly became president of his small Chicago neighborhood board and how his ensuing political career, including a venture of running for the Senate, gives us an example of how economics and the demands of the people are closely related to the inner-workings of the American political world. He also manages to give the reader a wide perspective of the world, posing an age-old question that economists often ask to stimulate thought: “Who feeds Paris?” This question is designed to make one think about markets and how the various markets of the world are connected, creating an economy. The book also has many enjoyable points that one probably wouldn’t think about otherwise. For example, Wheelan says that smokers are good for the economy because they pay Social Security all of their lives but die early without reaping the benefits, leaving more for the rest of us.
Overall, I can say that I highly recommend this book to anybody interested in the subject of economics or even politics. However, I would not recommend this book to anybody who has any scholarly experience in the field, as it may seem too basic. To me, the book feels like the perfect summer reading assignment for an Economics 101 course. I knew absolutely nothing about economics prior to my reading of it, and now I feel as though I can hold an intelligent conversation about the subject. I very much enjoyed his humorous wit, and the only thing I can say I didn’t like would be the occasional droning explanations, but I suppose that these are inevitable during any discussion of economics. It may be painful to get through some parts, but Wheelan certainly does his best to soften the pain. Understanding basic economics is essential to truly understanding the workings of the modern world, so if you are clueless on the subject, I would suggest picking up this book immediately.
  BradenBarnett | Apr 9, 2014 |
Amazingly, the author does not show strong ideological bias, for an economics book this is very strange. I now know what 'The Fed' does, also he has converted me wholly to free-trade (previously I was uncommitted). ( )
  SpaceyAcey | Sep 23, 2013 |
I started reading this book feeling I was reasonably clever, and I finished this book realizing that I wasn't even fit for extremely stupid. Not that this book isn't good - it's too good, that's the problem, I think.

This book simplifies a lot of concepts, but still, with my slow mind, I had to keep going over bits, re-reading paragraphs to finally absorb it.

Now I've finished the book, I've got mixed feelings; I'm feeling guilty about feeling relieved that I've finished this book after 1 month and 2 days, but I'm kind of feeling like I should read more books like this one so that, eventually, I might be able to read it would pausing and re-reading. ( )
  Joyce.Leung | May 24, 2013 |

Charles Wheelanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Malkiel, Burton G.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Leah
It is widely believed that Scotsman Thomas Carlyle labeled economics the "dismal science" well over one hundred years ago because it seemed boring, uninteresting, unclear, and full of "on the one hand, on the other hand."

Finally! A book about economics that won't put you to sleep. In fact, you won't be able to put this one down.

Naked Economics makes up for all of those Econ 101 lectures you slept through (or avoided) in college, demystifying key concepts, laying bare the truths behind the numbers, and answering those questions you have always been too embarrassed to ask. For all the discussion of Alan Greenspan in the media, does anyone know what the Fed actually does? And what about those blackouts in California? Were they a conspiracy on the part of the power companies? Economics is life. There's no way to understand the important issues without it. Now, with Charles Wheelan's breezy tour, there's no reason to fear this highly relevant subject. With the commonsensical examples and brilliantly acerbic commentary we've come to associate with The Economist, Wheelan brings economics to life. Amazingly, he does so with nary a chart, graph, or mathematical equation in sight—certainly a feat to be witnessed firsthand.

Economics is a crucial subject. There's no way to understand the important issues without it. Now, with Charles Wheelan's breezy tour, there's also no reason to fear it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

Seeks to provide an engaging and comprehensive primer to economics that explains key concepts without technical jargon and using common-sense examples.

106 wanted1 pay1 pay

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393324869, 0393049825, 0393337642

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible