Columbine by Dave Cullen

Title:Columbine
Authors:Dave Cullen
Info:Twelve (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages

Columbine by Dave Cullen

THE definitive book on the Columbine tragedy. Cullen is very comprehensive in his writing to the point that there is ample content and research in here. ( )
  rimbo90 | Mar 28, 2015 |
As a high school teacher for the past 16 years, I doubted what the media had to say about the Columbine tragedy. However, this book was very insightful, fascinating, and intriguing. It allowed me to separate the myth and the legends from the facts. It wasn't an easy book to read, but I'm glad I did. It is the story of two lost boys, their 13 victims, their survivors, and the anguish that was left behind. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Feb 7, 2015 |
  laura.w.douglas | Feb 7, 2015 |
Highly recommended. A careful retelling of the story you think you know. Excellent research, very compelling. ( )
  AlisonLea | Jan 10, 2015 |
Debunks some of the common assumptions made about the Columbine shootings. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.
-- Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
I am a wicked man. . . . But do you know, gentlemen, what was the main point about my wickedness? The whole thing, precisely was, the greatest nastiness precisely lay in my being shamefully conscious every moment, even in moments of the greatest bile, that I was not only not a wicked man but was not even an embittered man, that I was simply frightening sparrows in vain, and pleasing myself with it.
--Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground

For Rachel, Danny, Dave, Cassie, Steven, Corey, Kelly, Matthew, Daniel, Isaiah, John, Lauren, and Kyle. And for Patrick, for giving me hope.
He told them he loved them. Each and every one of them.

Provides an account of the shootings at Colorado's Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, focusing on the teenage killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, drawing from interviews, police files, psychological studies, and writings and tapes by the boys to look at the signs they left that disaster was looming.

"On April 20, 1999, two boys left an indelible stamp on the American psyche. Their goal was simple: to blow up their school and to leave 'a lasting impression on the world.' Their bombs failed, but the ensuing shooting defined a new era of school violence ... Dave Cullen delivers a profile of teenage killers that goes to the heart of psychopathology. He lays bare the callous brutality of mastermind Eric Harris and the quavering, suicidal Dylan Klebold, who went to the prom three days earlier and obsessed about love in his journal. The result is an account of two good students with lots of friends, who were secretly stockpiling a basement cache of weapons, recording their raging hatred, and manipulating every adult who got in their way. They left signs everywhere. Drawing on hundreds of interviews, thousands of pages of police files, FBI psychologists, and the boys' tapes and diaries, he gives a complete account of the Columbine tragedy ... A close-up portrait of violence, a community rendered helpless, and police blunders and cover-ups, it is a human portrait of two killers"--From publisher description.… (more)

Dave Cullen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible