Columbine by Dave Cullen

by Dave Cullen

Authors:Dave Cullen
Info:Twelve (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages

Columbine by Dave Cullen

This book is a comprehensive report of the shooting at Columbine High School. The author has done a lot of interviews and research, and gives a complete picture of the events leading up to the shooting, the shooting itself, and the aftermath.

Obviously, the book was not pleasant to read and my stomach was turning during much of it. It is hard to comprehend the brain of a psychopath, and very scary.

The research was very well done and challenges much of the reporting that immediately followed the shootings, especially about the motives of the shooters themselves.

klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I thought I knew everything about Columbine.. this book showed me I did not. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
An incredibly detailed piece of journalism that presents to complexity not just of the tragedy, but of the long-term aftermath. Cullen holds no punches against his fellow members of the media in misrepresenting information and dogging survivors, and also recounts incredible stories of resilience and healing by key members of the community. ( )
1 vote bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
Haunting. Well researched and well-written. Lately it seems like the books that I think are going to be boring have been my favorite. I'm thinking true crime is one of those genres that might be one of my favorites without me realizing it. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
THE definitive book on the Columbine tragedy. Cullen is very comprehensive in his writing to the point that there is ample content and research in here. ( )
  rimbo90 | Mar 28, 2015 |
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.
-- Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
I am a wicked man. . . . But do you know, gentlemen, what was the main point about my wickedness? The whole thing, precisely was, the greatest nastiness precisely lay in my being shamefully conscious every moment, even in moments of the greatest bile, that I was not only not a wicked man but was not even an embittered man, that I was simply frightening sparrows in vain, and pleasing myself with it.
--Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground

For Rachel, Danny, Dave, Cassie, Steven, Corey, Kelly, Matthew, Daniel, Isaiah, John, Lauren, and Kyle. And for Patrick, for giving me hope.
He told them he loved them. Each and every one of them.

Provides an account of the shootings at Colorado's Columbine High School on April 20, 1999, focusing on the teenage killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, drawing from interviews, police files, psychological studies, and writings and tapes by the boys to look at the signs they left that disaster was looming.

"On April 20, 1999, two boys left an indelible stamp on the American psyche. Their goal was simple: to blow up their school and to leave 'a lasting impression on the world.' Their bombs failed, but the ensuing shooting defined a new era of school violence ... Dave Cullen delivers a profile of teenage killers that goes to the heart of psychopathology. He lays bare the callous brutality of mastermind Eric Harris and the quavering, suicidal Dylan Klebold, who went to the prom three days earlier and obsessed about love in his journal. The result is an account of two good students with lots of friends, who were secretly stockpiling a basement cache of weapons, recording their raging hatred, and manipulating every adult who got in their way. They left signs everywhere. Drawing on hundreds of interviews, thousands of pages of police files, FBI psychologists, and the boys' tapes and diaries, he gives a complete account of the Columbine tragedy ... A close-up portrait of violence, a community rendered helpless, and police blunders and cover-ups, it is a human portrait of two killers"--From publisher description.… (more)

Dave Cullen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,789,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible