Columbine by Dave Cullen

Title:Columbine
Authors:Dave Cullen
Info:Twelve (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Debunks some of the common assumptions made about the Columbine shootings. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Debunks some of the common assumptions made about the Columbine shootings. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Dave Cullen continued his research into this horrific incident after his coverage and reveals the motivation, planning and true intent of Eric Harris and Dylan Kebold. He also covers the investigation, the aftermath and the reactions of the community. A must read for anyone who has wondered about this epic school shooting which was planned to be so much more - and with luck did not become what the boys had hoped for. ( )
  CarterPJ | Nov 11, 2014 |
Absolutely extraordinary. You rarely see reporting of this caliber anymore, writing that changes the way you see the world and its relation to certain events. Cullen has uncovered facts I have not seen other places. But more than that, he lets us view Columbine through many lenses, and that gives us perspective. Columbine did not just happen to the students at Columbine, it happened to everyone. We have become so used to this sort of tragedy. The day I finished this there was a fatal mass shooting at a college in Seattle which barely made the news, and another a week earlier about which coverage has nearly faded. Columbine stole our innocence. Understanding what happened, and how it affected so many lends perspective that helps us see and understand (and hopefully at some point do something to stop some) mass shootings. This book is about as close to perfect as a book can get ( )
1 vote Narshkite | Jun 23, 2014 |
Powerful! ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.
-- Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
I am a wicked man. . . . But do you know, gentlemen, what was the main point about my wickedness? The whole thing, precisely was, the greatest nastiness precisely lay in my being shamefully conscious every moment, even in moments of the greatest bile, that I was not only not a wicked man but was not even an embittered man, that I was simply frightening sparrows in vain, and pleasing myself with it.
--Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground

For Rachel, Danny, Dave, Cassie, Steven, Corey, Kelly, Matthew, Daniel, Isaiah, John, Lauren, and Kyle. And for Patrick, for giving me hope.
He told them he loved them. Each and every one of them.

In this remarkable account of the April 20, 1999, Columbine High School shooting, journalist Cullen not only dispels several of the prevailing myths about the event but tackles the hardest question of all: why did it happen? Drawing on extensive interviews, police reports and his own reporting, Cullen meticulously pieces together what happened when 18-year-old Eric Harris and 17-year-old Dylan Klebold killed 13 people before turning their guns on themselves. The media spin was that specific students, namely jocks, were targeted and that Dylan and Eric were members of the Trench Coat Mafia. According to Cullen, they lived apparently normal lives, but under the surface lay “an angry, erratic depressive” (Klebold) and “a sadistic psychopath” (Harris), together forming a “combustible pair.” They planned the massacre for a year, outlining their intentions for massive carnage in extensive journals and video diaries. Cullen expertly balances the psychological analysis— enhanced by several of the nation’s leading experts on psychopathology— with an examination of the shooting’s effects on survivors, victims’ families and the Columbine community. Readers will come away from Cullen’s unflinching account with a deeper understanding of what drove these boys to kill, even if the answers aren’t easy to stomach.

— Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)

"On April 20, 1999, two boys left an indelible stamp on the American psyche. Their goal was simple: to blow up their school and to leave 'a lasting impression on the world.' Their bombs failed, but the ensuing shooting defined a new era of school violence ... Dave Cullen delivers a profile of teenage killers that goes to the heart of psychopathology. He lays bare the callous brutality of mastermind Eric Harris and the quavering, suicidal Dylan Klebold, who went to the prom three days earlier and obsessed about love in his journal. The result is an account of two good students with lots of friends, who were secretly stockpiling a basement cache of weapons, recording their raging hatred, and manipulating every adult who got in their way. They left signs everywhere. Drawing on hundreds of interviews, thousands of pages of police files, FBI psychologists, and the boys' tapes and diaries, he gives a complete account of the Columbine tragedy ... A close-up portrait of violence, a community rendered helpless, and police blunders and cover-ups, it is a human portrait of two killers"--From publisher description.… (more)

Dave Cullen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,395,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible