The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy) by Jessica…

The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy) (edition 2010)

by Jessica Verday

Member:GlamourGirl
Title:The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy)
Authors:Jessica Verday
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Books I LOVE

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

Cover Thoughts:

The cover of The Hollow depicts an intense moment that happens about midway through the book. The colors and image on the cover are deep, gem tones that are very fitting to the nature of the story. Overall, I’d give it an A.

Book Thoughts:

The story begins with Abbey, the main character, trying to deal with the disappearance of her friend, Kristen, and preparing for her funeral. She meets Caspian, and begins to fall in love. But as the story unfolds secrets are revealed that rock Abbey’s world.

While I did enjoy The Hollow and it kept my attention, I feel like it suffered from ‘first novel’ syndrome. You know, there are big plans for a series and the first book is spent explaining a lot, setting up for subsequent books. I LOVED Verday’s writing style, and I think she did a great job conveying the feelings of Abbey throughout the novel. I knew what Caspian would turn out to be from the get go, but it didn’t bother me. The “big reveals” in the story didn’t seem big or revealing enough, but I am hoping as the story continues, more will come together.

As a first novel in a series, I did enjoy it. I also acquired The Haunted, the second novel in the series at the same time and will be reading it soon. I can’t wait to see how the story continues.

Rating: 4/5 ( )
  AJ_Fairchild | Feb 2, 2014 |
The first book in the Hollow series: I read this because of the setting is Sleepy Hollow NY (really exists) and I love Washington Irving. For a first novel, Verday rocked it! ( )
  NeddieB | Aug 6, 2013 |
The Hollow was a good book all-in -all. I especially enjoyed the ending.(For once, I didn't see it coming.) Caspian being a ghost, I mean. I think the characters were well written and while the book focused more on romance then ghosts, the writing was entertaing. ( )
  IssacDiamond | May 21, 2013 |
When Kristin died, Abbey knew life would never be the same. With her best friend gone, the mystery of her death still unknown, and school rapidly approaching, Abbey has a lot on her plate. Abbey takes solace in walking through the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery she and Kristin used to haunt. Life seems unbearable until she meets Caspian, a mysterious, good looking guy who keeps on appearing at just the right times. Caspian makes Abbey happy and slowly fills the gap left by the negative things of the past, but happiness doesn't always come easy. Abbey still wants to know what happened to Kristin, and Caspian, however genuine he seems, is hiding something.

I'm unsure of how I feel about 'The Hollow'. While I was pretty addicted to the book and read it pretty quickly cover to cover, I still found some issues with it. When it comes to positives, the writing style was catchy and drew me in instantly. The characters were fleshed out well. I feel like we really did get to learn a lot about Abbey and even a bit about Kristin, for however little time we saw her in flashbacks.

The negatives of 'The Hollow'? While engaging, the story started out slow, continued slowly through to the middle, kept on chugging through to about fifty pages before the end and THEN picked up. I didn't have any idea of what the story was about until 3/4ths in. Some books work fine that way, Twilight, for example, but this... Not so much. I would have liked to know more about Kristin's disappearance, more about the caretakers, and definitely more about Caspian.

I'm not giving up on the series and am looking forward to the next title by Jessica Verday, even though the first book didn't leave me completely enthralled. It's an addicting read with good characters- characters I want to know much more about. 'The Hollow' is part one in a trilogy.

More reviews at: http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com/ ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I had a really hard time dragging myself through this book, and weirdly enough, an even harder time coming up with anything to say about it. You'd think I could, seeing as how I obviously didn't like it, but I didn't like it because it was so boring. Considering the blurb, I expected ghosts, mysteries, and general creepiness. Instead, all I got was a blow-by-blow of Abbey and her daily life--she gets up, brushes her teeth, puts on clothes, goes to school, so on--and some vague ghostiness at the end (which was too-little, too-late territory, as far as I'm concerned).

The writing is flat and shallow. If Abbey is supposed to feel sad, she tells the reader she's sad. If she misses Kristen, her dead best friend, she says so. There's no flow or nuance to anything: what you see is what you get. And what you see is a pretty self-centered and boring protagonist. Apparently, Abbey is incapable of feeling more than one emotion at a time, because she's either a.) obsessed with Caspian, her maybe-boyfriend (80% of the book) or b.) sad that her best friend is dead (about 20% of the book). Apparently, the seven stages of grief do not exist in Ms. Verday's world, because these are the two emotions Abbey displays during the entire novel. About the only thing this book had going for it was a creepy setting, which it squandered shamelessly. ( )
  Becky_Jean | Mar 31, 2013 |

High-school junior Abbey struggles with the loss of her best friend Kristen, who vanished on a legendary bridge, but her grief is eased by Caspian, an attractive and mysterious stranger she meets in the Sleepy Hollow cemetery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible