The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy) by Jessica…

The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy) (edition 2010)

by Jessica Verday

Title:The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy)
Authors:Jessica Verday
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Books I LOVE

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

2.5 stars, and a sad face :(.

When I first picked up this book, I got all three because I was going on a three month sail, so I didn't get around to reading the first book until a few weeks in. Sad face, sad face, and yes you guessed it, sad face. :'(

I love stories about Sleepy Hollow, and I was under the impression that this book would be a modern day retelling or close to it. All I got was a sad punch to the face and a book series that I had to finish or face the fact I wasted closed to $50 on stupidness. (I'm still refusing to face that fact)

There was too much description about the little things, like taking a bath, it took her three pages to take a damn bath. There was no need for it. It took away form the story, and it just became boring filler.

The story itself was way too dragged out, and the big revel, wasn't that big but, at the same time I was left with more questions the answers. Even when I finished the book series, though I must say the third book was better then the other two, I was still left with this unfinished feeling. Like there should have been something more, more feeling, more story, more I don't, I can't pin point it, it's just how I feel.

I really wish I could rewind time and tell my past-self to put the damn books back and move on. I would have saved myself from sad disappointment and a literary black eye to my reader soul.

The Hollow killed my dreams of Sleepy Hollow, now I'm going to watch the movie - 1999- to make my soul happy again.

Bye now. :)

Emily ( )
  E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
Cover Thoughts:

The cover of The Hollow depicts an intense moment that happens about midway through the book. The colors and image on the cover are deep, gem tones that are very fitting to the nature of the story. Overall, I’d give it an A.

Book Thoughts:

The story begins with Abbey, the main character, trying to deal with the disappearance of her friend, Kristen, and preparing for her funeral. She meets Caspian, and begins to fall in love. But as the story unfolds secrets are revealed that rock Abbey’s world.

While I did enjoy The Hollow and it kept my attention, I feel like it suffered from ‘first novel’ syndrome. You know, there are big plans for a series and the first book is spent explaining a lot, setting up for subsequent books. I LOVED Verday’s writing style, and I think she did a great job conveying the feelings of Abbey throughout the novel. I knew what Caspian would turn out to be from the get go, but it didn’t bother me. The “big reveals” in the story didn’t seem big or revealing enough, but I am hoping as the story continues, more will come together.

As a first novel in a series, I did enjoy it. I also acquired The Haunted, the second novel in the series at the same time and will be reading it soon. I can’t wait to see how the story continues.

Rating: 4/5 ( )
  AJ_Fairchild | Feb 2, 2014 |
The first book in the Hollow series: I read this because of the setting is Sleepy Hollow NY (really exists) and I love Washington Irving. For a first novel, Verday rocked it! ( )
  NeddieB | Aug 6, 2013 |
The Hollow was a good book all-in -all. I especially enjoyed the ending.(For once, I didn't see it coming.) Caspian being a ghost, I mean. I think the characters were well written and while the book focused more on romance then ghosts, the writing was entertaing. ( )
  IssacDiamond | May 21, 2013 |
When Kristin died, Abbey knew life would never be the same. With her best friend gone, the mystery of her death still unknown, and school rapidly approaching, Abbey has a lot on her plate. Abbey takes solace in walking through the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery she and Kristin used to haunt. Life seems unbearable until she meets Caspian, a mysterious, good looking guy who keeps on appearing at just the right times. Caspian makes Abbey happy and slowly fills the gap left by the negative things of the past, but happiness doesn't always come easy. Abbey still wants to know what happened to Kristin, and Caspian, however genuine he seems, is hiding something.

I'm unsure of how I feel about 'The Hollow'. While I was pretty addicted to the book and read it pretty quickly cover to cover, I still found some issues with it. When it comes to positives, the writing style was catchy and drew me in instantly. The characters were fleshed out well. I feel like we really did get to learn a lot about Abbey and even a bit about Kristin, for however little time we saw her in flashbacks.

The negatives of 'The Hollow'? While engaging, the story started out slow, continued slowly through to the middle, kept on chugging through to about fifty pages before the end and THEN picked up. I didn't have any idea of what the story was about until 3/4ths in. Some books work fine that way, Twilight, for example, but this... Not so much. I would have liked to know more about Kristin's disappearance, more about the caretakers, and definitely more about Caspian.

I'm not giving up on the series and am looking forward to the next title by Jessica Verday, even though the first book didn't leave me completely enthralled. It's an addicting read with good characters- characters I want to know much more about. 'The Hollow' is part one in a trilogy.