The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy) by Jessica…

The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy) (edition 2010)

by Jessica Verday

Member:GlamourGirl
Title:The Hollow (Hollow Trilogy)
Authors:Jessica Verday
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Books I LOVE

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

Sleepy Hollow is filled with myths and stories, the town almost survives on it. One teen girl Abby, has her best friend die and her life is thrown into nightmares and fantasies ? Or are they real, sometimes it is hard to tell. is this a ghost story of or the story of a damaged young girl ? She meets people at the local graveyard, but only she can see them, one she grows to love. So much teen drama for this girl.
A detailed story, sometimes too detailed with the everyday steps of life, what on the table, what clothes on on, homework...tended to drag on a bit too long for my taste. I wanted the author to get to the point, who is it at the graveyard and what are they. Well, finally at the end, you get a touch of the information, just a touch. This book was a pure tease. I have to read the next one out of frustration. The story was really good, I wanted more of it and less of her daily drama. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
A huge fan of young adult novels, this one really blew me away. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a beloved story of mine and the twist this series put on it was amazing. I have read it over and over and will probably never stop! ( )
  samjgregory | Jan 11, 2016 |
2.5 stars, and a sad face :(.

When I first picked up this book, I got all three because I was going on a three month sail, so I didn't get around to reading the first book until a few weeks in. Sad face, sad face, and yes you guessed it, sad face. :'(

I love stories about Sleepy Hollow, and I was under the impression that this book would be a modern day retelling or close to it. All I got was a sad punch to the face and a book series that I had to finish or face the fact I wasted closed to $50 on stupidness. (I'm still refusing to face that fact)

There was too much description about the little things, like taking a bath, it took her three pages to take a damn bath. There was no need for it. It took away form the story, and it just became boring filler.

The story itself was way too dragged out, and the big revel, wasn't that big but, at the same time I was left with more questions the answers. Even when I finished the book series, though I must say the third book was better then the other two, I was still left with this unfinished feeling. Like there should have been something more, more feeling, more story, more I don't, I can't pin point it, it's just how I feel.

I really wish I could rewind time and tell my past-self to put the damn books back and move on. I would have saved myself from sad disappointment and a literary black eye to my reader soul.

The Hollow killed my dreams of Sleepy Hollow, now I'm going to watch the movie - 1999- to make my soul happy again.

Bye now. :)

Emily ( )
  E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
Cover Thoughts:

The cover of The Hollow depicts an intense moment that happens about midway through the book. The colors and image on the cover are deep, gem tones that are very fitting to the nature of the story. Overall, I’d give it an A.

Book Thoughts:

The story begins with Abbey, the main character, trying to deal with the disappearance of her friend, Kristen, and preparing for her funeral. She meets Caspian, and begins to fall in love. But as the story unfolds secrets are revealed that rock Abbey’s world.

While I did enjoy The Hollow and it kept my attention, I feel like it suffered from ‘first novel’ syndrome. You know, there are big plans for a series and the first book is spent explaining a lot, setting up for subsequent books. I LOVED Verday’s writing style, and I think she did a great job conveying the feelings of Abbey throughout the novel. I knew what Caspian would turn out to be from the get go, but it didn’t bother me. The “big reveals” in the story didn’t seem big or revealing enough, but I am hoping as the story continues, more will come together.

As a first novel in a series, I did enjoy it. I also acquired The Haunted, the second novel in the series at the same time and will be reading it soon. I can’t wait to see how the story continues.

Rating: 4/5 ( )
  AJ_Fairchild | Feb 2, 2014 |
The first book in the Hollow series: I read this because of the setting is Sleepy Hollow NY (really exists) and I love Washington Irving. For a first novel, Verday rocked it! ( )
  NeddieB | Aug 6, 2013 |

High-school junior Abbey struggles with the loss of her best friend Kristen, who vanished on a legendary bridge, but her grief is eased by Caspian, an attractive and mysterious stranger she meets in the Sleepy Hollow cemetery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible