Wuthering Heights [Norton Critical Edition] (1847)

by Emily Brontë

For the Fourth Edition, the editor collated the 1847 text with the two modern texts (Norton's William J. Sale collation and the Clarendon), and found a great number of variants, including accidentals. This discovery led to changes in the body of the Norton Critical Edition text that are explained in the preface. New to "Backgrounds and Contexts" are additional letters, a compositional chronology, related prose, and reviews of the 1847 text. "Criticism" collects five important assessments of Wuthering Heights, three of them new to the Fourth Edition, including Lin Haire-Sargeant's essay on film adaptations of the novel.… (more)

English (103)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (105)
Absolutely love the story, just hard to follow when reading. ( )
  Akacya | Feb 28, 2021 |
Really excellent. I think the frame story structure gets to be a bit much at times, but every character here is sharply drawn (maybe too sharply in Joseph's case) and Brontë brings you into their world slowly and trickily so that by the end you're completed wrapped up in it. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
There are a few times I have thrown a book in rage after reading it. This is one of those times. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
I honestly just couldn't get into the book. I tried but it just wasnt very interesting to me. I did finish it, very begrudgingly, but it just never caught my interest. To me it seemed to be about a bunch of whiny teenagers who were kind of rude to be honest.

I know many people love this book, but it just wasnt for me. ( )
  Yodareads12 | Nov 30, 2020 |
Pensaba que seria un libro romantico, al estilo "sentido y sensibilidad". Y ciertamente es un libro romantico, mucho mas quiza que el anteriormente mencionado pero a la vez es totalmente distinto. Principalmente por sus personajes totalmente odiosos.

Mientras que en el tipico libro romantico el amor lo puede todo y es la mayor fuerza positiva, aqui el amor desde luego es la mayor fuerza pero mayoritariamente negativa, destructiva, obsesiva.

Este libro es casi su propio genero, la formula seria: horror pasion = tension.
Para lo limitado de los eventos y los caracteres, el libro mantiene la tension perfectamente. ( )
  trusmis | Nov 28, 2020 |

Emily Brontëprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunn, Richard J.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sale, William MerrittEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Reference guide/companion to

Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,765,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible