Stormen over Troje by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Stormen over Troje (original 1987; edition 1997)

by Marion Zimmer Bradley

1,950233,493 (3.85)1 / 22
Member:ChicAwah
Title:Stormen over Troje
Authors:Marion Zimmer Bradley
Info:Amsterdam De Boekerij 1997
Collections:Gelezen

The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley (1987)

English (18)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (23)
I felt that this novel had a similar pattern to Mists of Avalon and that it wound up rather dry because of it. Interesting ideas, but, sadly, a dull execution. ( )
  thelouringlady | Nov 19, 2013 |
I’ve already read quite a few books by Marion Zimmer Bradley, including most of the Avalon and Darkover series. I always liked her writing style and how she manages to tell a vivid, historical believable and deep story.
I wasn’t disappointed with The Firebrand. The book is a retelling of the fall of Troy, told from Kassandra’s point of view. Kassandra is a princess of Troy. When she was still a child, she was claimed both by the Goddess and by Apollo. She spent some time in her youth among the Amazon tribes and learned to fight. Later she became a priestess to Apollo. Since her early childhood she had visions of what was to come and was doomed not to be believed.
There are always to kinds of historical books for me: Those that get boring soon because they either lack in detail and are unbelievable or because they lose themselves in detail so the story itself drowns in it. And there are those stories that are brilliant, captivating narratives that make history real. The Firebrand belongs to that second category. The story at once made me feel like I know the time. There was not too much description but also enough to paint a vivid picture of the time and place. It’s easy to sympathize with Kassandra and although I often get easily bored by long travels in books or battles, I didn’t get bored in The Firebrand (there were both travels and battles).
In-between the story itself Kassandra asks herself some thought-provoking questions about the gods that are worshiped in different parts of her world and about the standing of women in society.
The only reason it took me so long to finish this book was the simple fact that my edition had a very small font size, so I couldn’t read much of it in the evenings and I sometimes had to squeeze in a book with larger font so my eyes wouldn’t protest too much (this is one of the reasons why I love my e-readers so much; always the perfect font size). ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
A typical retelling of the Iliad. Not super amazing, but not bad either. The whole feminist thing got on my nerves. As did the super masochist thinking of the Trojans. But it was readable, nonetheless. ( )
  drrtydenimdiva | Jul 18, 2013 |
Interesting retelling of the fall of Troy and the Kassandra story. It was a nice quick read for summer. ( )
  CassieLM | Apr 2, 2013 |
Marion Zimmer Bradley is most famous for Mists of Avalon, which retells the legends of King Arthur through a feminist--and feminine--perspective, centering it not on Arthur or Merlin or even Guinevere but a sympathetic Morgaine. I admit I'm not much a fan of that book. I am a big Marion Zimmer Bradley fan--but on the basis of her original world, Darkover, the setting for a series of novels and short stories that are a blend of fantasy and science fiction. I thought among other things that Mists of Avalon was far too preachy--though at least I got through the entire book. I think Firebrand is even more preachy and polemical, putting the legend of Troy through the Pagan feminist/Joseph Campbell lens, with Troy as a matriarchal society in conflict with an invading, patriarchal Greece, and as you might expect, centering the story not on the usual suspects--Achilles or Hector or even Helen--but Cassandra (Kassandra in this novel).

The big problem though is that of all of MZB's works that I've read this is by far the one with the most flat characterizations and the most boring. I couldn't believe I was reading Marion Zimmer Bradley at all, and this is the one work of hers out of dozens I'd read that I gave up on--stopping about half way. MZB dedicates this novel to another favorite author of mine, Mary Renault, who wrote works based on Ancient Greek myth and history such as The King Must Die based on the myths surrounding Theseus and Fire from Heaven based on the life of the historical Alexander the Great. Renault never wrote a book based on the legend of Troy, but if you're looking for really great historical fiction based on Ancient Greece, she's the gold standard. Or try the great classics by Homer or Vergil. Or Black Ships by Jo Graham, based on the legend of Aeneas, though not the equal of Homer certainly--or her inspiration Mary Renault--is truly an engrossing and well-researched novel. I'd far, far, far recommend any of the above over MZB's Firebrand. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Nov 18, 2012 |

Marion Zimmer Bradleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flatt, MelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLean, WilsonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Oh Troy Town! Tall Troy's on fire!"

--Rossetti
"Before the birth of Paris, Hecuba, Queen of Troy, dreamed that she had given birth to a firebrand who would burn down the walls of Troy."
FOR MARY RENAULT --- Sphere paperback edition has To the memory of Mary Renault
All day the rain had been coming down; now heavy, now tapering off to showers, but never entirely stopping. (Prologue)
At this time of year, the light lingered late; but the last glow of sunset had faded now in the west, and mist had begun to drift in from the sea.

Blending archaeological fact and legend, the myths of the gods and the feats of heroes, Marion Zimmer Bradley breathes new life into the classic tale of the Trojan War-reinventing larger-than-life figures as living people engaged in a desperate struggle that dooms both the victors and the vanquished, their fate seen through the eyes of Kassandra-priestess, princess, and passionate woman with the spirit of a warrior.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:04 -0400)

In this retelling of the legendary fall of Troy, King Priam's daughter, Kassandra, is cursed by the god Apollo, who decrees that her prophetic visions will be regarded as the ravings of a madwoman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,652,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible