I Choose to Live by Sabine Dardenne

I Choose to Live (2004)

by Sabine Dardenne

Dutch (6)  English (5)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All (13)
3.5 stars. where is my review? ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
A brave memoir of the experience of 12-year old Sabine Dardenne, a Belgian girl who was kidnapped and kept prisoner for 80 long days by one of Belgium's most heinous paedophiles. A quick, compelling read. There are some touching moments, and obviously unpleasant ones, as well. ( )
  akeela | Mar 30, 2010 |
Written by one of the two survivors of the 'Monster of Belgium', Marc Dutroux, I Choose To Live is an unsettling, upsetting but genuinley interesting account of what happened to Sabine Dardenne in her 80 days incarcerated in a hideout built into a cellar.

Whilst being very interesting, and I recommend you read this book for a viewpoint not often seen (that of the actual victim of the killer/kidnapper), it isn't a literary masterpiece. It is, however, a quick read that will horrify and sadden you, but grimly astound you also, as it is hard to believe that this actually happened, and is still happening today. ( )
2 vote dianestm | Dec 19, 2009 |
Dardenne was kidnapped by Marc Dutroux at age 12, brainwashed and put through hell for nearly three months. This is her autobiographical story from slightly before, during the named ordeal and the aftermath, e.g. adapting to life, growing up and ending the book with the trial of her accosters. Using a very matter-of-factly style of describing what her thoughts were at the time of being kidnapped as well as her most recent mind-set, the story really gripped me; Dardenne also details her failings to communicate with her mother before the kidnapping and how that deeply affected her afterwards. The final chapter is in my eye the best, and really put everything on its edge. I think the subtleties of Dardenne's (and her co-writer's) way of expression really brings forward the horrors of what happened to her, and glancing at what might have happened to several other young girls and women who were abused and murdered by Dutroux and his accomplices. A singular and horrific read. ( )
  pivic | Nov 13, 2008 |
Everyone should read this book. It's the harrowing tale of the capture and eventual rescue (some long months later) of a 12 year old Belgian girl by a pedophile known as the "Belgian Monster". Things take a turn for the worse when she gets bored being kept in isolation in the basement and asks for company. The "monster" only goes and kidnaps a second girl!

An amazing and worthwhile read. Makes you realise how lucky you are. ( )
  Lazy_Lauren | Apr 3, 2007 |
To all the victims
My name is Sabine.

In 1996, Sabine Dardenne, then 12 years old, was kidnapped by Marc Dutroux, a paedophile and multiple child rapist, and held captive for 80 days. 'I Choose To Live' is her personal testimony of her experience, which she only survived due to exceptional strength of character.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,776,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible