The family Moskat by Isaac Bashevis Singer

The family Moskat (original 1950; edition 1966)

by Isaac Bashevis Singer

501920,341 (4.16)31
Member:kenthouse
Title:The family Moskat
Authors:Isaac Bashevis Singer
Info:London, Secker & Warburg, 1966.
Collections:Your library (inactive), Reinhart Library, _Fiction - Classic

The Family Moskat by Isaac Bashevis Singer (1950)

English (6)  Dutch (3)  All languages (9)
'this is the bread of affliction which our forefathers ate in the Land of Egypt',, August 14, 2014

This review is from: The Family Moskat: A Novel (FSG Classics) (Paperback)
Compelling family saga set in the Jewish community of Warsaw. The novel opens in the years before WWI : the wealthy patriarch of the family has just returned from taking the waters, bringing with him a new wife - and a stepdaughter. There's much irritation among his children by his previous two wives; they are also unhappy about their father's trusted bailiff, who seems to have altogether too much power. And into this mix comes Asa Heshel Bannet, a young man from a rabbinical background, who has come to study in Warsaw...
The characters are convincingly drawn - some religious, holding fast to the old ways, others becoming westernized, refusing arranged marriages - even getting caught up in affairs or becoming apostate. As WWII looms, the whole family is living a very different life..
I felt this novel really started as one thing - a typical almost-Victorian family tale, where everyone had their role and life was settled - to the totally disorganized 'free for all', fighting for survival - and to make sense of the world- that depicts the experience of the Jewish people in the late 30s. An excellent read. ( )
  starbox | Aug 15, 2014 |
  cavlibrary | Apr 19, 2013 |
Panoramic family novel describing life in the Warsaw Ghetto.
  Folkshul | Jan 15, 2011 |
Jewish families--Fiction.
  icm | Oct 3, 2008 |
I grew up with this book, literally. It came to symbolize all my family lost in the Holocaust. Though we're originally not from Eastern Europe (from Germany instead), the Holocaust managed to bring together all of us in mutual tragedy. All families became one, and I imagine this must not be an easy thing to grasp unless you experience it from within the group. As I did. So Singer captured all this in a masterly way, and this book is just a pleasure to read from start to finish. Characters are extremely well drawn, plot is consistent and broad without losing focus, just perfect rhythm throughout. The world of the Moskat family may not exist anymore, but thanks to Singer we will always know what it was like, what it smelled and looked like, what it felt like. ( )
2 vote carioca | Mar 18, 2008 |

Isaac Bashevis Singerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gross, A.H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I dedicate these pages to the memory of my late brother I.J. Singer, author of THE BROTHERS ASHKENAZI. To me he was not only the older brother, but a spiritual father and master as well. I looked him up always as to a model of high morality and literary honesty. Although a modern man, he had all the great qualities of our pious ancestors.
Five years after the death of his second wife Reb Meshulam Moskat married for a third time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:49 -0400)

The vanished way of life of Eastern European Jews in the early part of the twentieth century is the subject of this extraordinary novel. All the strata of this complex society were populated by powerfully individual personalities, and the whole community pulsated with life and vitality. The affairs of the patriarchal Meshulam Moskat and the unworldly Asa Heshel Bannet provide the center of the book, but its real focus is the civilization that was destroyed forever in the gas chambers of the Second World War.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible