The family Moskat by Isaac Bashevis Singer

The family Moskat (original 1950; edition 1966)

by Isaac Bashevis Singer

Member:kenthouse
Title:The family Moskat
Authors:Isaac Bashevis Singer
Info:London, Secker & Warburg, 1966.
Collections:Your library (inactive), Reinhart Library, _Fiction - Classic

The Family Moskat by Isaac Bashevis Singer (1950)

Recently added bystarbox, akerr, nosajeel, EFLOxford, private library, templecplibrary, stortemelk, Olemo, yvesbinet

English (5)  Dutch (3)  All languages (8)
  cavlibrary | Apr 19, 2013 |
Panoramic family novel describing life in the Warsaw Ghetto.
  Folkshul | Jan 15, 2011 |
Jewish families--Fiction.
  icm | Oct 3, 2008 |
I grew up with this book, literally. It came to symbolize all my family lost in the Holocaust. Though we're originally not from Eastern Europe (from Germany instead), the Holocaust managed to bring together all of us in mutual tragedy. All families became one, and I imagine this must not be an easy thing to grasp unless you experience it from within the group. As I did. So Singer captured all this in a masterly way, and this book is just a pleasure to read from start to finish. Characters are extremely well drawn, plot is consistent and broad without losing focus, just perfect rhythm throughout. The world of the Moskat family may not exist anymore, but thanks to Singer we will always know what it was like, what it smelled and looked like, what it felt like. ( )
1 vote carioca | Mar 18, 2008 |
This is a remarkable family chronicle about Jews in Warsaw living in the fist of time that clenched Jewish tradition with modernization and murdered the living Jewry via the monstrous Nazi regime of Hitler. It is even more remarkable how lovely and unsentimentally poetic the writing is considering this novel was published in 1950. The story begins in the earlier 1900s and ends with the Nazis preparing to storm Warsaw in 1939. Yet only a hundred pages before the end with the Holocaust already on the horizon a hilarious farce is borne out of a cardiac arrest. This novel is therefore not just a tragedy, it is also a comedy, but never both at the same time. The final chapter in context of history is an absolute heartbreaker.

The story left untold in Family Moskat:
http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/holocaust/h-warsaw.htm ( )
  vaellus | Jun 6, 2007 |

Isaac Bashevis Singerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gross, A.H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I dedicate these pages to the memory of my late brother I.J. Singer, author of THE BROTHERS ASHKENAZI. To me he was not only the older brother, but a spiritual father and master as well. I looked him up always as to a model of high morality and literary honesty. Although a modern man, he had all the great qualities of our pious ancestors.
Five years after the death of his second wife Reb Meshulam Moskat married for a third time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:49 -0400)

The vanished way of life of Eastern European Jews in the early part of the twentieth century is the subject of this extraordinary novel. All the strata of this complex society were populated by powerfully individual personalities, and the whole community pulsated with life and vitality. The affairs of the patriarchal Meshulam Moskat and the unworldly Asa Heshel Bannet provide the center of the book, but its real focus is the civilization that was destroyed forever in the gas chambers of the Second World War.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,611,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible