Murder Never Forgets by Diana O'Hehir

Murder Never Forgets

by Diana O'Hehir

344329,500 (3)1

I read this some time a go, but my notes indicate that it was a disappointment, primarily because of the overused device of the protagonist neglecting to tell police important information or neglecting to follow up on information in time to prevent the next mischief. A sad relic of the "had I but known" school of mystery writing.
  ritaer | May 20, 2012 |
The setting for Murder Never Forgets is a senior-citizen enclave on the California coast … an up-scale environment for which its residents pay a pretty penny. Carla Day’s father, a retired Egyptologist and college professor, has early symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. The management at Green Beach Manor wants to move him out of his independent-living apartment into an auxiliary facility called “Hope House.” Carla, a 25-year-old who was born when her father was age 60, decides to visit Dr. Ed Day and fight for his independent lifestyle.

When she arrives, Carla learns that weird things have been happening -- and her father is rambling on about a woman being murdered on a nearby beach. When she applies for a job as an aide to stay near her father for awhile, management asks Carla to keep her eyes open … to help discover what exactly is going on at Green Beach Manor.

I had high hopes for Murder Never Forgets, as the author was a runner-up for the Pulitzer Prize in 1986 for her novel I Wish This War Were Over. I assumed the writing would be solid. Murder Never Forgets, however, was a disappointment. I thought the story line was strong but the narrative, told from Carla’s viewpoint, seemed to consist of sentence fragments, unedited thoughts that made for an uneven rhythm. Also, I didn’t care for the author’s putting quotations from more than character into the same paragraph.

I’m not an English professor or an expert on fiction. I’m a reader of mysteries and I thought these devices made it more difficult to get into the story. It is possible that critics more knowledgeable than I will find Ms. O’Hehir’s writing terrific. I didn’t.

Review based on publisher- or author-provided review copy. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jan 27, 2011 |
A mystery set in the most shadowy of landscapes: the human mind...

Then a string of suspicious events unravels.
  DunnFunKat | Sep 14, 2007 |
An interesting premise. Dad's encroaching Alzheimer's draws the daughter into a mystery. ( )
  readabook66 | Apr 23, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425209032, Mass Market Paperback)

Suspicious events at an assisted living facility-and her father's ramblings about a dead woman on a nearby beach-lead Carla Day into a shadowy mystery, and into the deep recesses of the brilliant old man's memory.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:53 -0400)

"Green Beach Manor, set on the jagged cliffs of the California coast, calls itself "A Colony for Independently Functioning Adults." It costs a pretty penny - and Carla Day is confident that her affectionate-but-confused elderly father is getting the best care there. Formerly an accomplished Egyptologist, he now lives in a fusion of past and present. The staff hasn't a clue what he's ranting about - and they're ready to send him to what they privately call No Hope House." "Then a string of suspicious events unravels. A fire starts inexplicably in the beauty parlor, and some drugs go missing. Carla, hoping to keep a close eye on her dad, lands a job as an aide at the Manor. But management has one condition: Spy for us, figure out who's doing this - and you and your father can stay..." "Soon, a guest swallows glass hidden in her food. An employee dies an eerie death. And Carla's father begins rambling not only about Egyptian pyramids, but also about a dead woman on the nearby beach. The answer may lie an ancient Egyptian tomb. Or maybe it's somewhere further - in the deep recesses of a brilliant old man's memory."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible