Malice by Chris Wooding

Malice (2009)

by Chris Wooding

Series: Malice (1)

BRCSBooks | Sep 12, 2013 |
A nicely creepy, dark cyber-fantasy for young adults. Although it got off to a somewhat shaky start, it quickly picked up the past and dragged me into the dingy, almost steampunk world of Malice. Intermingling with comic book pages is a clever idea, however, some parts proved a little difficult to read (I work better with words than pictures). As it did not really build to much in the way of a climax, it left me feeling faintly unfulfilled, but eager for the next installment, "Havoc". Intriguing and original ideas. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
I chose to read this book mainly on the cover...and the comic/novel combination is something that I like. At first it scared me half to death, but once I got past the super suspenseful beginning, it was any enjoyable adventure. Ends on a big cliffhanger, and I hope we order Havoc when it comes out because I want to know how it ends! ( )
  cocoannie | Aug 19, 2013 |
I don't really read a lot of horror novels, but this one caught my eye in the library. Perhaps it was the picture of the eerie man with a mangled hand on the front cover, or maybe it was the foreboding title. Either way, I thought it looked interesting, so I began reading it. Malice is about two kids, Seth and Kady, investigating how Luke, one of their friends, disappeared. Looking for clues, they find out about Malice, a comic book. Rumor has it that if you gather up the right materials and say the right words, Tall Jake will come and take you away. In order to try and save their friend, Seth and Kady do the ritual, and this is where the amazing adventure begins.
The beginning of the book starts of a bit slower to try and explain all the ghostly activities happening around Luke and other victims, but the action picks up very quickly. The book is extremely well planned and thought-out. Truly, Malice seems like an alternate universe you could be teleported to. The characters, places, and events are all very realistic. The author makes great use of foreshadowing to foretell of events to come, but subtly enough so that not everyone can find it the first time around.
One of the only complaints I had about this book was the drawings. I couldn’t understand which character was which or what was going on until I looked through it three or four times. In my opinion, I think Wooding could have done a much better job than the artist just describing the action.
Once I picked up this book, I could not put it down. This must be one of the top three horror books I have ever read. The cliffhanger ending hooks you for so much more, and you can bet I’ll be running out to read Havoc, the ending to this amazing series. ( )
  rguo98 | May 20, 2013 |
Malice exists, and glimpses can be had of what happens there in a comic book of the same name. After Lucas wishes himself into the story, Seth decides to follow. It is a battle just to survive. Kady, searching for Seth, discovers that the world of Malice has links to the real world as well. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | May 3, 2012 |
The 3-D image of a tall reaper-like creature on this cover will have readers reaching for it. Combined with graphics this modern day chiller is just scary enough to get you hooked. Malice is a collectible comic book and a deadly place filled with vicious machine creatures. Rumor has it if you say the right words you can be taken there. When their friend Luke goes missing, Kady and Seth set out to find him. Full of spine-tingling surprises, I can’t wait to read the second novel, “Havoc.” Ages 12 and up.
added by barbrahesson | editCalgary Herald

Everyone's heard the rumors. Call on Tall Jake and he'll take you to Malice, a world that exists inside a horrifying comic book. A place most kids never leave. Seth and Kady think it's all a silly myth. But then their friend disappears.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible