Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Old Man's War (original 2004; edition 2007)

by John Scalzi

4,5282251,064 (4.1)1 / 313
Member:knownever
Title:Old Man's War
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Old Man's War by John Scalzi (2004)

Recently added bytazdevil78, T4NK, Jacob_Vaz, zojjz, vergender, driko, Gobbers, private library, chebsterr, blatherlikeme
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (goodiegoodie, jlynno84)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (JulesJones)
    JulesJones: Two books which examine in different ways what happens to the recruits in an interstellar war who by the very nature of their service can never go back to their home culture.
    Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold (jlynno84)
    The Last Colony by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    Dauntless by Jack Campbell (goodiegoodie, BruderBane)
    Armor by John Steakley (goodiegoodie)
    Future War by Jack Dann (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: An anthology of stories in this vein.
    Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein (JulesJones)
    JulesJones: The obvious Heinlein influence on Scalzi's "Old Man's War" is "Starship Troopers", but this also covers some of the same ground as Heinlein's YA "Space Cadet".
    Containment by Christian Cantrell (freddlerabbit)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    Cobra by Timothy Zahn (PhoenixFalls)
    47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer (tottman)
    tottman: 47 Echo lacks the depth (and the universe-spanning scope) of Old Man's War, but the story and the fighting are both quite enjoyable. I won't say it's nearly as good as Old Man's War, but it is a quick, fun enjoyable read. And there's a lot of potential from this author I hope to see come out in future books.… (more)
    Grease Monkey by Tim Eldred (goodiegoodie)
    Crystal Rain by Tobias S. Buckell (tcgardner)

English (218)  Swedish (1)  Croatian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (224)
I've been reading "hard" science fiction since the late 70s, but haven't read much new science fiction thanks to a lack of free time. I gave Old Man's War a shot, owing to favorable reviews and the author's online presence, which I follow (via Twitter and sometimes his blog).

Scalzi excels at dialogue, characters, plot, and fight scenes. When it comes to describing battles he's as good as some of the masters, including Card, Hogan, and Bova.

But he came up short in a few important areas. The first third of the book did not project the future very well. It's set at least 200 years into the future, but the hero basically stepped out of late 20th-century America, complete with library committees, donuts, and Palm Pilots.

In addition, descriptions of the main characters and their surroundings are sparse -- there's just not enough color to let the reader see in his or her mind's eye what's happening or who we are reading about.

Fortunately, the second and third parts of the book are much stronger. Scalzi clearly thought through the nature of this futuristic universe and society, and the role of institutions like the Colonial Defense Force and the special forces. Once we get past the PDAs, the military technologies for fighting, healing, and communicating are much more robust. There are more visuals, especially around the battles, although the descriptions of environments is still weak (if only Coral was more fleshed out!). I think the stronger plot, dialogue, and battle descriptions were great.

But this is an early effort. I'm looking forward to reading Scalzi's newer work. ( )
  in30minutes | Sep 25, 2014 |
���I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife���s grave. Then I joined the army.��� John Scalzi draws you into his epic military sf series with one of the best opening paragraphs I have read in any fiction novel. He hits all the high points that I look for in a great science fiction novel��� great world building, interesting characters and a story that fires up your sense of imagination. This is the best book I have read in awhile and I am busy reading all the sequels that have been written since it was released. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Just as good on the re-read. Second time through, after having read a lot more Scalzi, I picked up on ethical nuanced missed the first time around. There are shades of collective responsibility in this book. Scalzi and his characters don't embrace or love war like Heinlein or Haldeman (Military Sci-fi innovators who clearly influenced this series.) Instead Scalzi embraces human choice in context. It is the idealogues who fare worst, not the pragmatists. People make choices and find ways to live with them. Those who reject the reality shared by the group in favor of idealism come off far worse than those who don't manage to question their orders at all. Applied to contemporary or historical conflicts, this makes things like Vietnam or the Balkan wars seem more human and less black/white.

Anyway, there is some master storytelling going on here. I'm looking forward to The Human Division, rumored to be out soon. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
At the spry age of 75, John Perry signs his life away to conscript in the Colonial Defense Force, an army to fight for humanity's colonization of other planets.

I was fairly intrigued for the most part of the book. The characters are interesting and I liked exploring the new world and new bodies, just like the Old Farts. New shiny things are interesting, just like green, chlorophyll-filled skin, cat-eyes, and a computer in the brain. It's all part of the deal, yesiree. The army training scenes were reminiscent of other war books I've read, so nothing new - but still fun to read.

My biggest quibble was with the plot. I just felt like there was no true climax to this book, not real direction. It was more like an introduction of the world and characters rather than an entire novel in and of itself. The whole thing with the different universes was a bit unnecessary because it didn't truly explain anything (or offer anything new in the typical space opera genre).

Also this is a little strange, but I never felt personal worry for the main character. Since the only thing against them was death (and I knew the MC wouldn't die), I couldn't help but never be completely engaged in the action.

So yep. 2.5 rounded down because of the lack of real climax and plot. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Old Man’s War

First Impressions: An old man joins the Colonial Defense Forces, a secretive organization with technology above and beyond Man on Earth. Most people who reach their 75th birthday want to be rejuvenated, or so they think.

John Perry laments the passing of his wife and with nothing to live for decides to activate his CDF contract. Scalzi paints a heartwarming picture of husband and wife (now deceased) and cutting off forever a former life for the future.

We’re led by the author to believe there’s a rejuvenation technique but that’s not it at all. You get a new body cloned from your old one and you’re off to fight a war of expansion with Man against alien.
Scalzi treads heavily on the horrors of war, the purpose of it, and the morality. As Perry stomps on a planet of aliens one-inch tall, he realizes the horror of what he’s doing. His command says to not worry, everyone goes through tghat. Really?

Enjoyed what the Ghost Brigades were, how this affected his deceased wife June, and what follows is amazing.

Especially loved the “Old Farts Club” and how they would stick it out through thick and thin. Well, they almost made it.

Very enjoyable first book. Can’t wait for more.

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Regan Avery, first reader extraordinaire, And always to Kristine and Athena.
I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday.
The reason we use force...is that force is the easiest thing to use. It's fast, it's straightforward, and compared to the complexities of diplomacy, it's simple. You either hold a piece of land or you don't. As opposed to diplomacy, which is intellectually a much more difficult enterprise.

. . . "There has never been a military in the entire history of the human race that has gone to war equipped with more than the least that it needs to fight its enemy. War is expensive. It costs money and it costs lives and no civilization has an infinite amount of either. So when you fight, you conserve. You use and equip only as much as you have to, never more."

He stared at us grimly. "Is any of this getting through? Do any of you understand what I'm trying to tell you? You don't have these shiny new bodies and pretty new weapons because we want to give you an unfair advantage. You have these bodies and weapons because they are the absolute minimum that will allow you to fight and survive out there. We don't want to give you these bodies, you dipshits. It's just that if we didn't, the human race would already be extinct."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348276, Mass Market Paperback)

John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army.

The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce--and alien races willing to fight us for them are common. So: we fight. To defend Earth, and to stake our own claim to planetary real estate. Far from Earth, the war has been going on for decades: brutal, bloody, unyielding.

Earth itself is a backwater. The bulk of humanity's resources are in the hands of the Colonial Defense Force. Everybody knows that when you reach retirement age, you can join the CDF. They don't want young people; they want people who carry the knowledge and skills of decades of living. You'll be taken off Earth and never allowed to return. You'll serve two years at the front. And if you survive, you'll be given a generous homestead stake of your own, on one of our hard-won colony planets.

John Perry is taking that deal. He has only the vaguest idea what to expect. Because the actual fight, light-years from home, is far, far harder than he can imagine--and what he will become is far stranger.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

"Though a lot of SF writers are more or less efficiently continuing the tradition of Robert A. Heinlein, Scalzi's astonishingly proficient first novel reads like an original work by the late grand master."--"Publishers Weekly," starred review. A Hugo Award finalist.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible