Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Old Man's War (original 2004; edition 2007)

by John Scalzi

4,6052311,039 (4.1)3 / 322
Member:knownever
Title:Old Man's War
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Old Man's War by John Scalzi (2004)

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (goodiegoodie, jlynno84)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (JulesJones)
    JulesJones: Two books which examine in different ways what happens to the recruits in an interstellar war who by the very nature of their service can never go back to their home culture.
    Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold (jlynno84)
    The Last Colony by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    Dauntless by Jack Campbell (goodiegoodie, BruderBane)
    Armor by John Steakley (goodiegoodie)
    Future War by Jack Dann (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: An anthology of stories in this vein.
    Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein (JulesJones)
    JulesJones: The obvious Heinlein influence on Scalzi's "Old Man's War" is "Starship Troopers", but this also covers some of the same ground as Heinlein's YA "Space Cadet".
    Containment by Christian Cantrell (freddlerabbit)
    Expendable by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    Cobra by Timothy Zahn (PhoenixFalls)
    47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer (tottman)
    tottman: 47 Echo lacks the depth (and the universe-spanning scope) of Old Man's War, but the story and the fighting are both quite enjoyable. I won't say it's nearly as good as Old Man's War, but it is a quick, fun enjoyable read. And there's a lot of potential from this author I hope to see come out in future books.… (more)
    Grease Monkey by Tim Eldred (goodiegoodie)
    Crystal Rain by Tobias S. Buckell (tcgardner)

English (225)  Swedish (1)  Croatian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (231)
Part Ender's Game (without the hero worship) part Starship Troppers (without the fascism) and quite a lot of fun. A few plot errors (one pertaining to the whereabouts of the crew of the Sparrowhawk spring to mind) and a couple of "just so"-moments took a little bit away from it. ( )
  pan0ramix | Nov 25, 2014 |
This book is one of the best I have EVER read. I could not put it down, and I laughed so hard at points that people looked at me rather strangely (I recommend not reading it in places such as say, the library). Definitely science fiction with a heart -- engaging characters, a philosophical thread that doesn't try to beat you with a hammer, and a scientific angle that was not overly technical but seemed entirely plausible. Also, bonus points for not having sound or heat in open space. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Nice beginning. Interesting premise. Get this one from library ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
I was expecting a fairly simple read, and while this book won't stretch anybody's noggin too much, it manages to surpass the usual level of it's genre. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Regan Avery, first reader extraordinaire, And always to Kristine and Athena.
I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday.
The reason we use force...is that force is the easiest thing to use. It's fast, it's straightforward, and compared to the complexities of diplomacy, it's simple. You either hold a piece of land or you don't. As opposed to diplomacy, which is intellectually a much more difficult enterprise.

. . . "There has never been a military in the entire history of the human race that has gone to war equipped with more than the least that it needs to fight its enemy. War is expensive. It costs money and it costs lives and no civilization has an infinite amount of either. So when you fight, you conserve. You use and equip only as much as you have to, never more."

He stared at us grimly. "Is any of this getting through? Do any of you understand what I'm trying to tell you? You don't have these shiny new bodies and pretty new weapons because we want to give you an unfair advantage. You have these bodies and weapons because they are the absolute minimum that will allow you to fight and survive out there. We don't want to give you these bodies, you dipshits. It's just that if we didn't, the human race would already be extinct."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348276, Mass Market Paperback)

John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army.

The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce--and alien races willing to fight us for them are common. So: we fight. To defend Earth, and to stake our own claim to planetary real estate. Far from Earth, the war has been going on for decades: brutal, bloody, unyielding.

Earth itself is a backwater. The bulk of humanity's resources are in the hands of the Colonial Defense Force. Everybody knows that when you reach retirement age, you can join the CDF. They don't want young people; they want people who carry the knowledge and skills of decades of living. You'll be taken off Earth and never allowed to return. You'll serve two years at the front. And if you survive, you'll be given a generous homestead stake of your own, on one of our hard-won colony planets.

John Perry is taking that deal. He has only the vaguest idea what to expect. Because the actual fight, light-years from home, is far, far harder than he can imagine--and what he will become is far stranger.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

"Though a lot of SF writers are more or less efficiently continuing the tradition of Robert A. Heinlein, Scalzi's astonishingly proficient first novel reads like an original work by the late grand master."--"Publishers Weekly," starred review. A Hugo Award finalist.… (more)

Current discussions

OCTOBER READ - SPOILERS - Old Man's War in The Green Dragon

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible