The City & The City by China Mieville

The City & The City (original 2009; edition 2011)

by China Mieville

Info:Pan (2011), Paperback, 500 pages
Collections:Your library, #1book140
Rating:**
Tags:#1book140

The City & the City by China Miéville (2009)

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (grizzly.anderson, kaipakartik)
    grizzly.anderson: Both are police procedural mysteries set in slightly alternate worlds.
    kaipakartik: Both are detective tales in alternate settings
    Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino (snarkhunt)
    snarkhunt: Calvino's book is a travelogue of impossible societies while China's book is a sweet little noir stuck in the middle of one.
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson (chmod007)
    chmod007: Both novels depict coexisting-but-dissociated societies — drastically foreign to the world we live in — but help us reflect on it.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (ahstrick)
    Orsinian Tales by Ursula K. Le Guin (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Le Guin's Orsinia may have been an inspiration for Mieville's mythical Orciny in The City and the City.
    Finch by Jeff VanderMeer (ShelfMonkey)
    Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius by Jorge Luis Borges (bertilak)
    Hav by Jan Morris (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Miéville's The City and the City acknowledges Jan Morris as an influence on his fractured cities novel, and Morris' travel book novel Hav (fictional trips to a fictional state) is the most likely reference.
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: May be an obvious recommendation, but these books cover a similar (very original) premise in very different ways. Un Lun Dun is for young teens, smaller in scope and message-heavy; The City & The City for adults, deals with complex themes and offers no easy answers. Both display Mieville's consummate skills and elegant humor.… (more)
    The Other City by Michal Ajvaz (bunnygirl)
    bunnygirl: Czech novel about an alternate Prague; not mentioned as one of the influences for this novel, but perhaps going on a bit of the same (disputed?) territory
    Wave without a shore by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Covers the same ground regarding visualising concepts.
    A Maze of Death by Philip K. Dick (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Two tales of paranoia and murder set in very odd worlds that just get stranger....
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two books that expand the scope of detective fiction beyond the genre's traditional concerns and constraints, one existentially and one sociopolitically.
    Ways of Worldmaking by Nelson Goodman (sek_smith, sek_smith)
    sek_smith: Ways of World Making explains the cognitive processes that allow us to unsee and,thus, understand. The City & the City is a practical application of the concept, most rigorous and well weaved. Very entertaining fiction with plenty of meaning
    sek_smith: This is not a fiction book, but an essay on relativity applied to epistemology. For many interested in the psychological mechanisms at work in The city & the City, this is a good read.
    Zoo City by Lauren Beukes (Jannes)
    Jannes: Two noir-ish thrillers with (vaguely) supernatural themes. Centered around sort-of-contemporary, yet fantastical urban landscapes. Both are very unique, and feels alike even if there's not many superficial similarities. More to the point, they're both damn good reading.… (more)
    Embassytown by China Miéville (Anonymous user)
    The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry (ShelfMonkey)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (julienne_preacher)
    julienne_preacher: Both books are about divided realities (and both books are awesome).
    Soft City by Jonathan Raban (sek_smith)
    The Kindly Ones by Melissa Scott (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar themes of parallel societies.

English (219)  French (4)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (226)
This story is set in the cities of Beszel and Ul Qoma, which are fictional but co-located somewhere in the Eastern European/Turkish area our own world. The two cities basically occupy the same physical spaces, but the residents of each city are not supposed to acknowledge or interact with the other in any way or Bad Things Will happen (this is called a breach, which is punished by an all-powerful Breach committee). Into this environment comes Besz Inspector Tyador Borlú, who is investigating the murder of a young woman who is not what she appears to be. The case takes Borlú across to Ul Qoma, where Things Take A Turn and Complications Ensue.

Pluses:
--The world-building. Miéville successfully creates a simultaneous there-but-not-there, tonally distinct feeling in each city. Really excellent.
--The language. I'm a huge Raymond Chandler fan, and this reminded me of his stuff. (I gather this is a departure from Miéville's typical style.)
--The protagonist. I connected with Borlú, a good man who's just trying to do his job, bureaucracy be damned.

Minuses:
--The secondary characters aren't particularly fleshed out, particularly Borlú's counterpart on the other side and his female colleague on his own side.
--The plot gets bogged down by the end. After I finished the book, I had trouble remembering who did what to whom among the red herrings and false starts.

I'm glad that I read this book, but I don't think it'll be sticking with me for the long haul. Your mileage may vary, of course. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jan 26, 2015 |
3.5 stars

Pluses:

Minuses:

Pat_F. | Jan 21, 2015 |
I couldn't shake the feeling that Miéville was trying to sound like someone who was not fluent in English, which struck me as incredibly pompous. Apparently this was his attempt to write noir, and frankly I don't think he's very good at it. His awkward writing style made it impossible to actually *get into* the story and be immersed - instead I spent all my time trying to parse out what the hell he was trying to say. Terrible and unfinishable. ( )
  Xandylion | Jan 19, 2015 |
It's a mystery, so I was biased against it from the start, but it had enough quirks and weirdness to keep me interested all the way through. Even so it's my least favorite Miéville so far. The present-day eastern european setting brings something different to the genre and it works well for me. (Btw, is it scifi or fantasy, I'm not quite sure?) ( )
  pan0ramix | Nov 25, 2014 |
Just lovely. This is my second Mieville, and I do enjoy his brand of weird. A gritty detective story set in Eastern Europe, but in a city that is twinned with another city sharing the same space. The City and the City overlap, but are foreign countries, and unauthorised cross-over, or even acknowledgment of the other city, is punishable by extreme measures. Then a girl is murdered and hijinx ensue! (By hijinx, in this case I mean detective work, cursing, and further murders... and of course, unauthorised crossings between cities). ( )
  evilmoose | Sep 15, 2014 |
Subtly, almost casually, Miéville constructs a metaphor for modern life in which our habits of "unseeing" allow us to ignore that which does not directly affect our familiar lives. Yet he doesn't encourage us to understand his novel as a parable, rather as a police mystery dealing with extraordinary circumstances. The book is a fine, page-turning murder investigation in the tradition of Philip K Dick, gradually opening up to become something bigger and more significant than we originally suspected.
added by andyl | editThe Guardian, Michael Moorcock (May 30, 2009)

Readers should shed their preconceptions and treat themselves to a highly original and gripping experience.The City & The City is still Urban Fantasy, yes, but don't look for elves on motorcycles or spell-casting cops. China Miéville has done something very different, new, and — oh yeah — weird.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (May 28, 2009)

The novel works best when Miéville trusts his storytelling instincts. I was immediately entranced by the premise of doppel cities and didn't need it explained at every turn.

At times, I appreciated the intellectual brilliance of "The City" more than I lost myself in it. Borlú seemed an archetype more than a fleshed-out character. That's OK. The real protagonists here are the mirror cities themselves, and the strange inner workings that make them, and their residents, tick.

Miéville’s achievement is at once remarkable and subtle. His overlapping cities take in an aspect of our own world—social conventions—wholesale. But by describing those conventions using conceptual tools borrowed from traditional “worldbuilding” fantasy, he heightens awareness of the unnoticed in our own lives. He doesn’t give us symbols. He gives us real life rendered with all the more clarity for its apparent weirdness.

Miéville, Chinaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mäkelä, J. PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nati, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Deep inside the town there open up, so to speak, double streets, doppelganger streets, mendacious and delusive streets."
   -- Bruno Schulz, The Cinnamon Shops and Other Stories
In loving memory of my mother,
Claudia Lightfoot
I could not see the street or much of the estate.

Can cities really
co-exist in the same place?
Beware the frontier!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345497511, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, June 2009: The city is Beszel, a rundown metropolis on the eastern edge of Europe. The other city is Ul Qoma, a modern Eastern European boomtown, despite being a bit of an international pariah. What the two cities share, and what they don't, is the deliciously evocative conundrum at the heart of China Mieville's The City & The City. Mieville is well known as a modern fantasist (and urbanist), but from book to book he's tried on different genres, and here he's fully hard-boiled, stripping down to a seen-it-all detective's voice that's wonderfully appropriate for this story of seen and unseen. His detective is Inspector Tyador Borlu, a cop in Beszel whose investigation of the murder of a young foreign woman takes him back and forth across the highly policed border to Ul Qoma to uncover a crime that threatens the delicate balance between the cities and, perhaps more so, Borlu's own dissolving sense of identity. In his tale of two cities, Mieville creates a world both fantastic and unsettlingly familiar, whose mysteries don't end with the solution of a murder. --Tom Nissley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:53 -0400)

Inspector Tyador Borlu must travel to Ul Qoma to search for answers in the murder of a woman found in the city of Beszel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,108,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible